All the King's Men | 2006 | PG-13 | - 4.5.4
Biopic based on Robert Penn Warren's eponymous novel, which was the fictionalized story of the rise and fall of Louisiana governor Huey Long (and which was the basis for an Oscar-winning 1949 film). Sean Penn stars as "Boss" Willie Stark, an ostensibly idealistic Louisiana politician who's not above dirty politics and is eventually corrupted. Also with Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Hopkins. Directed by Steven Zaillian. [2:00]
- A woman takes off her dress, lies on a bed with her arms across her breasts and pubic region (her cleavage, bare abdomen and legs are seen) and a man looks at her (it is implied that she expressed interest in having sex but he did not accept the offer).
► A woman wearing a thong and bikini top (her cleavage, abdomen and buttocks are visible) ice-skates on a stage and a married man watches her with interest (it is implied that they start a sexual relationship after this). A woman wearing a long slip walks into a lake and two men watch her (one man seems to have affection for her). A woman wearing a skimpy outfit (revealing cleavage and legs) dances on stage. A woman's blouse is unbuttoned and reveals the top of her lace slip.
► A woman complains to a man about her lover, who's married, cheating on her with yet another woman. A man asks another man about his wife, who is a teacher, and whether teachers "have it in the same place as others."
- A man shoots a man repeatedly (blood spurts), then he is shot by another man (blood sprays), and they both lie on the floor while blood pools beneath their bodies.
► We hear that a man killed himself, we see people grieving at the funeral and we see blood splattered on a wall next to the desk where he was found dead.
► A woman hits a man and shoves him, accusing him of killing a man. A man has passed out on the floor (from too much alcohol), a woman tries to open a door and the door knocks him on the head. A man drives recklessly, heading toward an oncoming car (he swerves to avoid a collision).
► A man using a homemade catapult shoots a ball bearing that shatters a chandelier that's hanging over a dining table where people are seated. A man shoots a bottle from a great distance.
► A man verbally threatens another man. We hear that three children died in a school fire because of faulty construction. Men talk about someone having been stabbed. Someone says, "I'll drown her in a bathtub," about a woman. A man speaking in front of a crowd leads chants that include things like "nail 'em all." People make fun of a man who "thinks he's Jesus Christ."
► We see a pig tied to a rack being cooked over a fire.
- 3 sexual references, 2 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 13 mild obscenities, 5 derogatory terms for African-Americans, 5 derogatory terms for Caucasians, name-calling (fat, dumb sap, redneck), 4 religious profanities, 4 religious exclamations.
- A man is shown drinking heavily and people drink alcohol in many scenes. One man makes a point about not drinking alcohol because his wife does not approve, but we do see him drinking in subsequent scenes. Men smoke cigarettes and cigars in several scenes and a woman smokes in several scenes.
- Politics, idealism, democracy, authoritarianism, dignity, helping people, change, public service, conscience, guilt, mysteries, suicide, love, hate, hope, principles, coercion, infidelity, betrayal, assassination, fraud, impeachment, oil money, good vs. bad, justice, schemes, bribery, blackmail, Louisiana, jealousy, corruption.
- What you don't know can hurt you. Power corrupts.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.