Voyagers | 2021 | PG-13 | – 4.6.1
When the Earth’s climate threatens humanity, a spaceship with specially bred young people is launched on an 86-year long trip toward a distant planet than can be colonized. The young voyagers soon become a microcosm of humanity when they discover lust, anger, violence and the desire for power. With Tye Sheridan, Lily-Rose Depp, Fionn Whitehead, Chanté Adams, Quintessa Swindell, Archie Madekwe, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Viveik Kalra, Madison Hu, Archie Renaux, Wern Lee and Colin Farrell. Directed by Neil Burger. [Running Time: 1:48]
Voyagers SEX/NUDITY 4
– A young man and a young woman have sex while standing and another young man sees them; the first young man thrusts and moans and we see his bare buttocks. A young man touches a young woman’s face and lips, she holds his wrist and touches his face and lips and they move close to each other and kiss off-screen while other young people watch. A young man and a young woman lie in bed together clothed; the young woman holds the young man’s hand and touches his face; they kiss and the scene cuts to them lying in bed wearing underwear and we see his bare chest, abdomen and legs and her cleavage, bare abdomen and legs with their arms and legs entwined (sex is implied).
► A young man touches a young woman’s shoulder, face, neck and squeezes her clothed breast; he presses against her and the young woman tries to push him away until a man intervenes and throws the young man to the floor and he runs away. A young man and a young woman kiss (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A young man grabs a young woman by the arm and a man tells him, “No grabbing.” A young man hugs a young woman and she threatens him with a scalpel; another boy discovers them and becomes upset. A man touches a young woman’s shoulder while showing her something; two young men see this and one becomes upset. A young woman tells a young man that she wants to “be with you,” and he declines the offer as she moves close to him with a scalpel in her hand.
► A young man looks at a young woman with interest and reaches to touch her hand; we see a quick sequence of emotional reactions including a young man and a young woman kissing. A very brief video image of men and women kissing and having sex (we see bare flesh but little anatomic detail) is seen.
► We see microscope images of sperm swimming in fluid being implanted into ovum and embryos develop in a laboratory setting inside clear sacks. A man is shown shirtless after an accident and we see his bare chest and abdomen. Young men are shown shirtless in a few scenes and young women are seen wearing sports bras and bike short-type bottoms (the young men’s bare chests, abdomens and backs, and young women’s cleavage and bare abdomens are seen). A young man’s shirt is ripped during a fight and we see his bare chest, abdomen and back. A young woman is shown after childbirth and covered with a sheet (her bare shoulder is shown).
Voyagers VIOLENCE/GORE 6
– A man and a young man suit up and leave a space vessel to conduct repairs: they move along the hull of the ship and we see something moving near them as the man is zapped by an electrical charge and thrown; we see his face, shoulder and arm badly burned (he has reddened and charred flesh) and he is foaming from the mouth as he is placed on an exam table and a defibrillator is applied several times without result and the man is pronounced dead. A young man says that an alien was brought onboard and that it is hiding in one of them, he shoves another young man and accuses him of harboring the alien and others surround the accused, he runs and they chase him and beat him to death (we see him on the floor with a very bloody head); another young man is struck in the face when he tries to break it up and we see blood on his face and mouth. A young man shoots at another young man and a young woman as they run away locking passage hatches behind them; the armed young man shoots the doors open (the other young man is struck in the face by shrapnel and we see some bloody cuts as the young woman pulls a piece of metal out of his neck), when one door is shot open the young man with the gun is sucked through the doorway toward an open hatch to space, he holds on, grabs the young woman in the passageway and stabs her in the leg, and the other young man grabs him and they struggle at the opening and one of them is pulled out into the darkness (he’s wearing a suit); the young woman struggles and kicks the other young man sending him out into space, without a suit. A young man adjusts the charge in a cable as a man touches it and the power in a space vessel flashes and the man is zapped and thrown (we see this scene a few times and the man that was zapped died). Several armed people break into a room where three people are hiding and attack them; one young man is dragged out of the room and we see two young women with bloody noses; one of the young women pleads with the armed people to stop and they mock her until one of them shoots her (she falls dead and we see a bloody wound on her back). A young man shoots the door of a med lab open and two other people hide inside, a young man hits the armed young man in the head with a canister and a young woman injects him in the neck with a drug until the other young man hits him in the head again (he lies dead on the floor with a bloody head wound).
► A young man hits another young man in the head with a heavy tool and we see blood on it and the young man’s head; another young man intervenes and punches the attacker in the face. A young man and a young woman kiss until another young man sees them and becomes angry; the second young man hits the first young man several times, another young man holds the injured young man and the other punches him again (we see a bloody cut on his face). Two young men shove each other and one holds a heavy metal tool. A young woman holds a scalpel when she opens her door to two young men after they were pounding on the door menacingly. A young man shoots at another young man and several other armed people search for him and a young woman opening compartments looking for them; one young man shoots into a compartment and along a wall where the two people are hiding (they are not struck).
► Two young men go inside a systems room and come out yelling to close the door behind them; they insist that they saw an alien in the room. A fire burns in a systems room and people scramble to put it out. Two young men force their way into a secret compartment and discover many cases filled with weapons; they then arm themselves.
► Two young men argue and one confronts the other about making advances on a young woman. Two young men wrestle and one pounds his chest and yells when he pins the other. Two young men run through hallways in a space vessel chasing each other. A man and a young man argue in a few scenes, once after the young man accuses the man of lying.
► Several scenes show people being alarmed at the sound of rattling and creaking in a space transport vessel. A rocket it launched into space and a shuttle docks with a larger vessel where many children and one man enter and are locked in. An alarm rings and a computer indicates that a toxic chemical has been identified in the irrigation water on a ship; a young man becomes concerned because the chemical is in the food that they are eating.
► A young man grabs a young woman by the arm and a man tells him, “No grabbing.” A young man zaps three other people with live wires and they each flinch and say “ow.” We hear that Earth has become almost uninhabitable, another planet has been discovered that seems habitable and that it will take 86 years to reach it. People talk about raising children in isolation so that they don’t miss Earth when they are sent on an 86-year long mission to another planet. A man is concerned about the dangers children will encounter when on an 86-year long mission alone. A video shows war footage with gunfire. A video shows animals killing each other in the wild with some bloody flesh seen.
► Two young men hack into a computer to find information about a chemical and they discover that they are being drugged to keep them docile. A man wears a hazmat suit and enters a room where young children work on computers. A man tucks several children into bed and one boy tells him that he is afraid.
► A video shows someone pushing a plate of whipped cream into another man’s face and people laugh. A young man trips on a stair and spills a tray of food causing a loud noise and other people smile and laugh. A young man turns the volume on headsets playing music up very loud and others smile and laugh.
Voyagers LANGUAGE 1
– Name-calling (liar, genetic donors, fat puss-filled face, bloated wheezer, crazy, genetic defect), exclamations (go away, yeah, shut-up, shut your face). | profanity glossary |
Voyagers SUBSTANCE USE
– Young men and women are shown drinking a blue liquid in several scenes (we understand that it contains medication that will keep them docile and dull their senses and sex drive), and a young woman injects a young man in the neck with a drug (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details).
Voyagers DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Fear, inhabiting other planets, space travel, lying, human nature, murder, rules, exploration, power, sexual assault, providing for the future, jealousy, rage, hormones, impulse control.
– Even with advanced eugenics, sociopaths will always exist and even smart humans can be manipulated.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.