This Is the End | 2013 | R | - 8.7.10
Celebrity James Franco throws a big party at his new LA house and during the festivities the world begins to end in explosions and earthquakes. Franco and other celebrity friends (Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson) survive and attempt to deal with the aftermath. Also with Michael Cera, Emma Watson, Paul Rudd, Mindy Kaling and Rihanna. Directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen. [1:46]
- A horned and clawed shadow of a demon appears in a man's bedroom at night and we see it has a 2-foot-long erect penis; in a longer shot, the demon has red eyes and rapes the man in bed as the camera cuts to the next morning (we see the demon thrusting briefly, the man is clothed and the room dim; in the morning, the man's eyes are bloodshot and he has long red scratches on his arm). A massively tall demon shows an erect penis as large as a giant tree.
► We see a man wearing only a long-sleeved shirt above bare legs to the thigh; a woman kneels in front of him while another woman kneels behind him and it appears that they are licking his genitals and anus, but the camera cuts to his face and we hear what seems to be a stream of urine striking a metal floor.
► An extended sequence of mock masturbation is seen between two arguing men; we see their arms moving rhythmically as they threaten each other about who is able to make the bigger ejaculate mess; one man says he is out of control because his penis is like an out of control firefighter's hose and the other man forbids him from masturbating in the house.
► Many men in a group of urban cannibals are shown shirtless and their bare chests are shown. A leader of urban cannibals keeps a man as a sex slave and pet on a chain leash; he tells a group of men that he can slide his penis into the man at any time very easily and the man, on all fours and wearing only a leather thong bikini-bottom and chains across his chest, says to the leader, "I love you" (we see the slave man's full nude body except for genitals). A woman slaps a man hard in the face after he slaps her buttocks at a party.
► We see two pornographic magazines with pictures of women wearing skimpy bikinis. Many women at a party wear low-cut tops that reveal cleavage and short skirts or shorts that reveal bared legs to mid-thigh. A scene of Heaven features women wearing short shirts and skimpy tops that reveal cleavage. A dozen women wear thong bikinis. Six men staying in a house overnight sleep in T-shirts and boxers or biking shorts; we see a man's chest and abdomen in close-up; three of the men lie on a couch to sleep, they discuss what positions to use and agree on "all dicks up" to prevent sexual stimulation.
► A man says that he drank his own urine, that it was not bad, he smiles and drinks a martini glass of urine; another shirtless man faces the camera and reaches below the frame and we see a stream of what is understood to be urine shoot into his mouth.
► A repeated put down mentioning a man being "[anatomical term and sexual reference deleted]" as a child because he had "man boobs" occurs two dozen times. A man and a woman sing, "Take off your panties" and "We ain't wearin' no panties." A man wears a T-shirt that reads TAKE YO PANTIES OFF. Song lyrics include a line "Baby girl [anatomical term deleted] jiggle like she want more" and phrases "Going down," "Johnson" and "getting head." Two men agree that drug use before a party is like foreplay and lubrication for social interaction (please see the Substance Use category for more details). Men at a party use a double entendre: "Oh, you allowed us to come inside you," referring to entering a house. Six men argue about how to ensure that a female guest knows they will not rape her and she misunderstands thinking that they mean to rape her; she shouts, swings an axe (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details) and leaves. A sign for an Anime film, "Ninja Rapists," appears briefly in the background. A man says that he masturbates so much because his penis is crying for help and as a child he bounced his mother's breasts around as he was nursing because he was lonely. A man says that another man's anus is like a tiny donut.
► A giant sculpted phallus with confetti dots painted on it is a centerpiece in a house and it is used briefly to prop up a tent; a woman enters the house with an axe and slices it in two.
the review continues below...
- This apocalyptic film features dozens of red-tinged scenes of devastation that include explosions, tall flames and smoke, earthquakes, and crevasses opening in the ground; men and women run screaming and falling, some likely trampled when they fall below the frame; a woman falls in close-up, her head stepped on by a man, and we see some blood on her forehead as her vacant eyes stare.
► An older man breaks into a boarded up house enough to put his head in and ask for help; while speaking to the six men inside the house, something chops off his head from behind and the gory, bloody head slides across the floor; the men kick around the severed head and slide on the floor, finally wrapping it in a blanket; the body is gone, presumably eaten by a demon and we hear inhuman growling and roaring, as well as heavy foot stomping.
► We see an exorcism of a pale demon possessed man, tied by his wrists and ankles to a large bed after he is hit in the head with a ball bat twice (we see some bruising); with glowing yellow eyes, he laughs with a demon's deep voice, while three other men chant over him and hold up a cross that is made from two spatulas tied together with a dishtowel; the demon grumbles, the bed rises into the air and two of the exorcists get into a fistfight, knocking over a lit candle; the candle ignites the bed and the possessed man, who runs and then crawls through the house while he is on fire, and jumps from a balcony to a bloody wooden floor, where he dies as a fiery ceiling beam falls on him.
► An urban assault vehicle slams into a car containing three men as several other men and women, dirty and wearing torn clothing, step out of the vehicle and pull the men from the car; a leader of the attackers tells men that they will be eaten and one of the three captives throws rocks as a distraction so the other two can run away; a blue light beam lifts the rock thrower up into the sky but when he curses and makes obscene gestures, the light beam switches off and drops him (he had been moving toward Heaven); the men and women jump on the fallen man and we see his nose bitten off in a shower of blood and they pile on top of him, making gnawing sounds and the scene ends.
► The Hollywood hills become engulfed in flames with wide swaths of smoke and crumbled buildings as rescue helicopters crash; fiery sinkholes open up at a house party with one large enough to uncover a lake of fire and swallow hundreds of people taking them to hell (we see black shadow demons); some people kick those hanging onto the sides of the crevasse in the face and shoulders (no blood) and into the fire so as not to be dragged down with them; around them in the streets and driveways, cars explode, people shout and scream, we hear twisting metal, a light pole bends down, stabbing a man through the back and chest and we see the end of the pole extending from the chest toward the camera surrounded by gushing blood and the pole falls backward and it, with the man, and falls through a smoking crevasse and into a lake of fire far below.
► A man chews candy and visibly spits it into another man's mouth that is having a low blood sugar episode while lying on the floor with his eyes rolling back into his head and his body twitches; the man on the floor spits it back at the other man then projectile vomits red and black materials all over two men and the floor; the vomiting man tosses the other two men into walls several times (they are unharmed), and his eyes glow yellow and he roars in the voice of a demon.
► There is a loud explosion at a convenience store causing the shelves in the store to fall over, the plate glass window shatters as do jars of food (no one is hurt) just before a blue light beam pulls the people in the store up through openings where the roof slid off the building and they convulse as they travel; a huge packing case falls on the shop owner (we do not see her again) and two men run outside, shouting and watching what is happening; several cars wreck, catching fire, people get hit by cars and fly off screen, a police cruiser drives into the broken window of the convenience store and we hear sirens, helicopters fly overhead and we see one sit on the side of a house where there is a party and it sends a long plank of wood through a broken window; the wood scratches a man's hand and he shouts in pain (we see no blood).
► A woman swings an axe to break into a boarded up house where a party is going on; she is welcomed by friends, but when she overhears their conversation incorrectly and thinks they will rape her (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details), she stabs one man in the nose with her axe handle (we see his bloody nose) and swings the axe head several times to make other men back away and she takes her axe and leaves.
► A man dumps a whole bottle of water over his head and a shouting match between himself and five other men about rationing during a disaster ends in the water dumping man leaving the house; as he leaves, he asks for a gun and another man hands him a handgun and the first man shoots at the five other men (the gun is a prop with blanks that leaves a spot of fake blood on two of the men's shirts); one man says that he wants to shoot a part of another man's anatomy off, but does not have a real gun.
► Two house-sized demons appear in separate scenes; both have black smoking skin and red eyes and long black horns and one has long bat wings; in each scene, a demon chases three men and does not catch any of them; one man is lifted up by a blue light beam (presumably to Heaven) as he distracts a demon by waving a white towel at it; a demon charges through a burning, crumbling house as it explodes into flames, stopping by the body of a dead man that had been possessed, then enters the street and explodes when hit with falling rubble.
► A huge demon chases two running men: the creature's skin is made of black and glowing coal and projections on his back become eyeless snakes; one man distracts the demon so the other can run and the man is lifted up to the sky by a blue light beam (presumably to Heaven); he grabs the other man, who cannot hold on and lets go to save the first man that was in the beam when a second beam slices through the demon and catches the second man, transporting him into the sky (presumably to Heaven); as both men convulse under some sort of power and smile we see the monster demon bellow bleed yellow lava from a cut that reaches from his shoulder down his body to the groin.
► Men in a house after a disaster recite frightening passages from the Book of Revelation about pits and lakes of fire and a burning mountain; an argument ensues and one man slugs another man in the nose (we see a slight amount of blood); later, the struck man prays for God to kill the man who hit him. A man spits food across a room as a fight begins over dividing food in a house after a disaster. A woman slaps a man hard in the face after he slaps her buttocks at a party.
► Two men dig through a concrete floor to a basement, fall through the hole and find two water cooler bottles of water. Two different men look frightened in separate scenes and report back to friends that they have seen demons (we hear roaring off screen), but friends do not believe either man.
► Two men planning a film talk about how fun it would be to include cannibalism. Two men have a long argument about how many tomes to pass per day.
the review continues below...
- 200 plus F-words and derivatives, 4 obscene hand gestures, 12 sexual references, 50 scatological terms, 37 anatomical terms, 8 mild obscenities, 4 derogatory terms for African-Americans in song lyrics, name-calling (crazy, psychotic, Dumbledore, Buck Rogers, Pilgrim, nerd, cocky, racist, spineless, backstabber, weird, self-righteous), stereotypical references to actors, fat people, authors, screenwriters, singers, men, women, Whites, Canadians, the British, Los Angeles, fundamentalists, gays, demons, exorcists, 15 religious profanities, 28 religious exclamations.
the review continues below...
- Two men meet at an airport and discuss plans for smoking marijuana and drinking liquor, we see a coffee table covered with plastic baggies containing marijuana and many rolled marijuana cigarettes, several bongs are shown in a room and bottles of whiskey sit on a counter, two men smoke marijuana from foot-long pipes until the room is filled with smoke, two men go to a party that will have drugs and alcohol, two men agree that drug use before a party is the foreplay and lubrication for good social interaction, we see baggies of marijuana along with hashish and blue pills on a table, song lyrics include a line about smoking a blunt (marijuana), men and women at a party smoke many marijuana blunts and a playback of a parody film shows a man smoking 8 of the drugged cigarettes at once, a man at a party snorts a lot of cocaine from a counter top and becomes intoxicated (he stumbles, mumbles and slurs his words), a man blows a handful of cocaine into another man's face and the second man complains that he does not like it, men and women dance while drinking and lighting crack pipes and smoking them, six men in a house after a disaster share a small amount of marijuana and fight over the amount left, a man accidentally drinks a can of pop containing Ecstasy and we see neon flashes above the heads of his friends (they had already taken the drug) to indicate hallucinations as they dance, a scene of Heaven shows men and women drinking cocktails and beer as many of them smoke marijuana cigarettes, and the T-shirt of a man features the picture of a large marijuana leaf. A housewarming party shows dozens of men and women drinking cocktails and beer, a song's lyrics mention being "tipsy" and a line that teen drinking is bad but a fake ID is available from an adult, a man chugs whiskey from a bottle, and men drink wine with a dinner. A man lights and smokes a cigarette, and a man lying clothed in a bathtub blows several white smoke rings from a regular cigarette.
the review continues below...
- Disaster films, national disasters, demons, the Devil, Apocalypse, the Bible, Heaven and Hell, illegal drugs, cooperation, friendship, survival, sacrifice, rewards.
- Real friends can help you through really bad times.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.