The Runaways | 2010 | R | - 8.4.10
A look at the creation and demise of the first girl band, the 1970's rock-and-roll group The Runaways, which brought together famous female rockers Joan Jett (Kristen Stewart), Cherie Currie (Dakota Fanning) and Leta Ford (Scout Taylor-Compton). Also with Michael Shannon and Stella Maeve. Directed by Floria Sigismondi. [1:49]
- A man's bare buttocks are visible and a woman, nude from the waist-down, has her legs around his waist and the side of her buttock is visible; they are seen engaged in intercourse, with the man thrusting and moaning while speaking on the phone to a teenage girl.
► Two teenage girls kiss passionately and it is implied that they have sex; they are later seen lying in bed together, one presumably nude under a sheet and the other in a T-shirt and underpants.
► Teenage girls are seen kissing young men and older men. Teenage girls are seen kissing one another. A teenage girl and a man are seen kissing passionately, and the teenage girl moans. As a man kisses a teenage girl, he places his hand on her upper thigh after being told that the girl is not wearing underpants. A teenage boy makes a crude remark to a teenage girl and places her hand on his genitals while they kiss -- the teenage girl pulls away.
► Teenage girls dance suggestively on stage while wearing tight and exposing clothing, including one teenage girl wearing lingerie and crawling on the stage. A man grabs his genitals suggestively while performing in front of teenage girls.
► Magazines with photographs of nude men are seen on the ground and a teenage girl is attempting to masturbate as another teenage girl stands on the other side of a door, explicitly instructing her on procedure. A teenage girl is seen in the shower, a bare leg peeking from behind the curtain, and we hear her moaning as she falls to the floor (it is implied that she was masturbating).
► Teenage girls wear suggestive and revealing clothing, including lingerie and low-cut, tight body suits, backless shirts, and form-fitting short shorts, which expose cleavage and midriffs. Teenage girls are seen in bathing suits, including one wearing a bikini and dancing suggestively next to an older, shirtless man. A teenage girl wears underpants and a form-fitting shirt while posing suggestively for a photographer, and the photographs are later seen and referred to as pornographic. The bare back of a teenage girl is visible as she undresses. A man's bare buttocks are visible as he jumps, completely nude, into a swimming pool with many teenage girls. A young woman's bare back is visible as she takes off her shirt and passes out on a bed. The profile of a teenage girl's bare breasts and bare buttocks are seen.
► A teenage girl is seen urinating on a guitar as another teenage girl is watching and laughing (no nudity is visible, however we see her unzip her pants and pull them down). A teenage girl takes off her underpants and hands them to another teenage girl, who stuffs a paper towel in them and pulls them on (no nudity is seen).
► Men make crude remarks about the sexuality of a 15-year-old girl. A man makes a crude joke about homosexual men performing oral sex on one another.
- People throw balls of paper, dog feces, and empty cans and bottles at teenage girls while on stage, hitting them in the face and torso; one of the teenage girls strikes a flying bottle with her guitar causing it to hit a woman in the face.
► A band of teenage girls becomes angry and they begin screaming and trashing a sound studio, throwing bottles at one another and against a window, and tossing a microphone stand and a table.
► A crowd pounds against a window so violently that it shatters and the crowd rushes into a room, scaring a group of teenage girls.
► A teenage girl is seen visibly bruised and cut. Scabs are seen on a teenage girl's shoulder and a teenage girl's torso from a fresh tattoo.
► Teenage girls shout and argue with men, including threatening to beat up an older man. Teenage girls scream at one another. A teenage girl shouts at people and shoves a man through a doorway.
► A teenage girl reads aloud an article where a man instructs another teenage girl to hang herself.
► A teenage girl is seen urinating on a guitar as another teenage girl is watching and laughing (no nudity is visible, however we see her unzip her pants and pull them down and the stream of urine is visible). A drop of blood is seen on the ground and on the upper thigh of a teenage girl as another teenage girl explains that the girl has gotten her period.
► A young girl passes out several times. A teenage girl stumbles to the ground.
► A man pounds a book against his head. A teenage girl angrily throws a stack of magazines at another teenage girl.
► A teenage girl jokingly pulls a teenage girl's leg as she is standing on a bed, causing her to fall, and they laugh.
- About 53 F-words and its derivatives, 4 obscene hand gestures, 17 scatological terms, 11 anatomical terms, 12 sexual references, 8 mild obscenities, 2 derogatory terms for homosexuals, multiple sexist remarks, name-calling (skank, freak, dogs, punks, filthy, outcasts, creep, degenerates, Frankenstein-looking, filthy pugs, diva, drunks, fats, maggots), 1 religious profanity, 1 religious exclamation.
- Teenagers are shown smoking marijuana and doing hardcore drugs, including taking pills and snorting and eating cocaine and a teenage girl appears to be in rehab. Teenagers are seen smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, people discuss alcoholism, and a man is seen dying of an alcoholic-related disease (he is seen earlier blacked out from alcohol).
- Masturbation, menstruation, rock music, sexism, teenage drug use, alcoholism, death, family, lesbian love affairs, failure, verbal abuse.
- Do not allow success to go to your head; remain grounded to reality.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.