The Last Days of American Crime | 2020 | TV-MA | – 7.8.10
In the near future the US has become a fascist state and the government plans to control crime by broadcasting a signal that will affect brainwaves, making it impossible to willfully commit any unlawful act. A band of criminals decides to do one last, spectacular crime before the signal forces them to retire. With Edgar Ramírez, Norman Anstey, Brandon Auret, Daniel Fox, Sean Cameron Michael, Nathan Lynn, Anna Brewster and Michael Pitt. Directed by Olivier Megaton. [Running Time: 2:28]
The Last Days of American Crime SEX/NUDITY 7
– A man and a woman kiss passionately, he carries her to a bed where they undress (we see her bare breasts, abdomen and partial buttocks and his bare chest and back), he moves between her legs (oral sex is implied), thrusts on top of her, she straddles him and thrusts on top of him and the scene ends. A woman speaks to a man in a bar she just met, licks an ice cube from his drink, puts his hand on her bare chest, invites him to follow her and they have sex in the bar’s bathroom; he pulls her underwear down (we see the profile of her bare legs and buttock) and moves his head between her legs (implying oral sex), he unfastens his pants and thrusts repeatedly until they climax.
► A man straddles a drugged woman on a bed and unfastens his belt (it is implied attempted rape; please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A man and woman kiss passionately. A man and a woman kiss. A man and a woman kiss tenderly and embrace. A woman kisses her adult brother on the lips. A man leans toward a woman to kiss her (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details).
► A woman on the phone with her boyfriend says that she is having sex with another man as they speak. A man invites another man to have sex with him and his girlfriend. A man makes a remark about “sex in the afternoon.” Men and women dance in a club. A man tells his father that he through he’d be having a Roman orgy.
► A topless woman wearing shorts (we see her bare breasts, abdomen and legs to the upper thighs) dances on the roof of a car as men gather around. A woman wears a short skirt that reveals her legs to nearly the crotch and her adult brother reprimands her. A dead woman wearing bra and underwear is shown lying on a bed (we see cleavage, bare abdomen and legs). Two women wear short tops that reveal cleavage and bare abdomens as they hold each other. A woman wears a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage. A man showers and we see his bare chest, abdomen and back. A woman wearing a tank top and underwear lies on a bed (we see nipples through the fabric and bare legs to the hips). A shirtless man is seen in his apartment (we see bare chest, abdomen and back). A man is shown tied into a chair and his shirt and pants are open (we see his bare chest and abdomen and the waistband of his underwear). A woman’s skirt lifts during a fight and we see her underwear and partial buttocks.
the review continues below...
The Last Days of American Crime VIOLENCE/GORE 8
– A man shoots another man (aiming a sniper rifle at the first man’s car) in the back of the head (blood sprays) and then struggles with another man briefly before shooting him twice (once below screen). Several armed men rob a bank and part way through the robbery, they all wince and hold their heads (they hear a high-pitched whistle) and seem to be incapacitated; one robber is shot (we see blood pour from the wound, he spits blood and he later dies) and the others help him to a car. Two armed men in a hallway shoot into a room where two men inside shoot back at them; we see the two men outside struck and blood sprays. A woman shoots a man from behind and the man turns around and shoots her in the chest (we see blood on her dress and pooling under her body. A man is shot several times by another man from a distance and we see blood spurt with each shot until he falls dead. A man and his adult son argue about the father having tried to kill the son after the son had sex with his stepmother; one man throws a hatchet at the other hitting him in the head and killing him (we see blood pools and the hatchet is seen stuck in his head) and the other man is shot (we see bloody wounds). A man is shot in the chest (we see blood), then he’s shot again. A woman with blood on her face and chest enters a police station, she moves behind the intake desk and an officer tries to get her to come out as a man holds a gun to the officer’s head and they struggle over the gun until the officer shoots the man in the head (blood sprays on the wall and the officer’s face). A man shoots two men in a car repeatedly; we see blood splatter on the windshield as they jerk from the bullets. Two men are shot in the back (we see blood) as they run through a border control area. A man dies from bullet wounds and we see blood on his face, head, and chest.
► A man is shown being beaten to death by several prison guards using clubs; we see his bloody face and he spits blood. A man shoots another man in the abdomen, then shoots his ear off (we see a lot of blood on both wounds). A man grabs another man as he is attempting to rape a woman and strangles him to death. A man tied into a chair is shown being punched in the face repeatedly (we see his bloody face and the puncher’s bloody knuckles). Two men in prison are forced to fight each other while guards holding dogs watch them; we see bloody faces and heads and hands until one man falls to the floor, and the other straddles him and continues to beat him (to death). A man tries to handcuff a woman and she flips him onto the floor where he is stabbed through the throat by a shard of glass and dies (we see a lot of blood).
► A man is shown kneeling in a bathtub bound and gagged as another man pours gasoline on him and threatens to set him ablaze; the second man puts a lit cigar in the bound man’s mouth, leaves the room and we hear and explosion and see flames shoot out from the building implying that the bound man blew up. A man burns another man on the chest with a lit cigar (he winces and we see smolder), pours gasoline around a man tied into a chair in a trailer and ignites it as he leaves; another man pulls the bound man out of the flames as the trailer blows up.
► A woman is followed out of a building by several armed guards and they threaten to shoot her; she stops in the road where a truck speeds into the scene, she gets into the truck and they drive away. A man in a car is shot at by several guards, as another man dangles from under the car while shooting back at the guards (several are struck and we see blood spray). Men speeding in cars shoot back and forth at each other, swerve through traffic and ram each other until two cars crash head on and flip and another flips on its roof (we see injured passengers with blood on their faces); one man gets away and steals a van from a woman to drive away. A man pushing a shopping cart slams through the glass door of a store while another man shoots back into the store (looting is implied). Two men speed away in a car while being shot at by guards. A woman lies in a street as a truck approaches (she’s not harmed); the truck stops and the occupants get out to investigate until another man holds a gun on them from behind and steals the truck.
► A woman tries to run away from a man and he tackles her, she punches him, he throws her onto a glass table (we see bloody cuts), and she raises a glass shard over him then drops it. A man tries to kiss a woman and she grabs his face and threatens him. A man holds a gun to another man’s neck. Two men are shoved against the hood of a car and searched for weapons. A man holds a gun to another man’s head. A man yells at another man and holds him over a railing in a parking garage. A man yells at another man in a threatening manner, demanding money. A man slams a woman against a wall and hits her in the face. A man hears gunfire in his apartment building. A man watches a western on TV with a man shooting a shotgun. A man tells his adult son, “I thought you were dead.” A man argues with his father and accuses him of exploiting the poor. A man says that he shot his wife (we do not see this). A man and a woman argue bitterly and another man carries the woman out of the room.
► A truck speeds through two border control areas and is shot at by guards. A computer room blows up in a building and people run for cover as flames blow through the area. Explosives are set on a vault and they blow open the door causing alarms to blare.
► A badly burned man is shown with a bloody face, bandages wrapped around his head and hands and he walks with a limp. A man walks through an apartment where we see several dead bodies with bloody gunshot wounds and one man is shown with several of his fingers severed (bloody hand and stumps are shown). A man sees a dead body in a car with blood on the face and head from a gunshot. A dead man is shown in a hallway with blood on the wall behind him. We see several dead bodies in a loft with bloody wounds shown. A man is shown tied into a chair and with a pool ball and a strap as a gag. A woman pours the remains of a man into a lake.
► A man reads a letter from the prison board that his brother committed suicide in prison. Several scenes show protesters in the streets and armed police moving through them to keep order. A woman has a bruise on her throat and she says she deserved it. A woman has an implant placed in her neck (we see a bloody spot after the injection). People step over a trip wire at the entrance to a loft in a few scenes. A police officer drives through streets and people throw things at his car. A man practices drawing guns in a mirror.
► A woman yells at a badly injured man to wake up. A woman talks about her stepfather beating her until she left. People talk about causing damage to the brain to interrupt “the signal.” A reference is made to “brain rape.”
► We hear announcements and news reportage of a countdown to a “signal” that will cause all Americans to lose the ability to perform acts of violence. A man talks about preparing for a prison stint. A voiceover talks about “Playing Jesus with people’s brains,” and using people as, “Guinea pigs.” A man describes the effects of a drug that a man has bought from him and says that it will “melt your brain.” References are made to a police state. A man imitates a person with a disability.
► A woman vomits after having been drugged and we see a stream of goo. A man vomits and we see goo, saliva and more goo on his mouth.
the review continues below...
The Last Days of American Crime LANGUAGE 10
– About 132 F-words and its derivatives, 1 obscene hand gesture, 4 sexual references, 25 scatological terms, 11 anatomical terms, 14 mild obscenities, name-calling (stupid, dogs, loser, insane, pig, skanky, paranoid, ugly looking, supercop, crazy, pet, evil, sociopathic, “brain rape,” control freak, sicko, maggot infested heart, Sammy the vegetable, lucky), exclamations (shut-up, Jiminy Crickets, fricking), 9 religious exclamations (e.g. God, Jesus, Jesus Christ, Playing Jesus, song lyrics include references to “Your Own Personal Jesus”). | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
The Last Days of American Crime SUBSTANCE USE
– A woman prepares a drug to inject into a woman (we see the needle inject her arm) as she pleads, a man snorts cocaine off his hand, a man buys drugs from a man in a bar and the first man describes what will happen by taking them (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details), a man takes two pills (we understand that they are neurotoxins), a man offers another man a drink and cocaine (he does not accept), and two women buy drugs from a man in a bar (it’s not clear what the drugs are). Several people are shown drinking liquor and smoking cigarettes in a few bar scenes, a man drinks champagne, several people gathered in a home drink champagne, two men drink whiskey in a bar. A woman smokes cigarettes in several scenes, two men smoke cigars in a couple of scenes, and a man smokes cigarettes in many scenes.
the review continues below...
The Last Days of American Crime DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Life choices, mind control, murder, revenge, terrorism, suicide, police brutality, cruel and unusual punishment, legacy, human experiments, rape, Dr. Kevorkian, computer hacking, trust, betrayal, FBI, jealousy.
The Last Days of American Crime MESSAGE
– Maybe crimes are bad, but controlling people’s brains may be worse, or maybe not. Also, avoid collaborating with sociopaths.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.