Infinite | 2021 | PG-13 | – 3.5.5
A man (Mark Wahlberg) diagnosed as schizophrenic, comes to slowly realize that his mental state is a manifestation of his unique powers: He belongs to a group of humans that reincarnate after death, and are able to remember all their past lives, retaining both skills and knowledge. One of these special humans (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is not happy and wants to destroy all humanity and end reincarnations. Also with Sophie Cookson, Dylan O’Brien, Jason Mantzoukas, Rupert Friend, Toby Jones, Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson, Liz Carr, Kae Alexander, Tom Hughes and Joana Ribeiro. Directed by Antoine Fuqua. [Running Time: 1:46]
Infinite SEX/NUDITY 3
– A nude man in a containment chamber is seen (we see his bare chest, abdomen to the hips and partial legs). A dead body is shown and we see his bare chest, abdomen, hip and some pubic hair. A man is shown shirtless a couple of times and we see his bare chest, abdomen and back. A man is shirtless while chained to a table (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A woman wears a flowing robe that reveals cleavage and partial bare leg to the upper thigh. A woman wears a low-cut top that reveals cleavage. Two women wear low-cut tops that reveal cleavage and one reveals her bare abdomen through a net covering. A woman wears a dress slit to the upper thigh and we see her bare shoulders arms and legs covered with tattoos.
► A woman sits on a sofa with her legs on a man’s lap; she talks to another man when he comes into the room and the first man becomes jealous (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A boy and a girl hold hands. A woman says that a man inside a containment chamber is a “sexy [mild obscenity deleted.”
Infinite VIOLENCE/GORE 5
– A man is shot by arrows through both of his hands (we see blood and he screams); we then see the man in a chair with bloody bandages on his hands as he is questioned by another man, and a man holds him around the throat as a woman pours thick honey into his mouth (he gags and coughs out the honey when they release him); the men argue and one man is shot in the head (off-screen). A man holds a sword and swings it cutting a metallic lamp stand in half; he then holds the sword to a woman’s throat and tells her to hold out her arm when he becomes upset with her; he places the sword on her arm until another man attacks him and takes the sword away, slashes a couple of fingers off another man’s hand while other men in the room shoot at him, and he holds the blade to the first man’s throat before leaving the room and running away.
► Armed people enter a building and shoot people inside (we see some thrown and fall as they try to run away with no evident bloodshed), the power is cut and we see several people seated with their hands tied behind them in an area where a man questions a woman and holds a gun to a teen girl’s head. A man is placed in a containment chamber, it fills with liquid and he thrashes when it covers his face, eventually falling still and people outside refer to him as having drowned and one man says, “We killed him”; the chamber is drained and a man and a woman perform CPR on him (he eventually revives coughing and spitting). A woman is shot and falls to the floor (she dies), an explosion blows up the area and many armed people enter; a weapon shoots several of them and they fall dead among the rubble and destruction. Two men fight, one with an axe and one with a blade at the end of a gun until one man is stabbed in the abdomen and the other shoots him (off-screen). A man stabs a dead body in the abdomen, pushes his hand into the abdominal cavity and fishes around to retrieve something (we do not see blood). A man launches several drones that shoot at a woman as she runs and jumps from a ledge, swings from a cable attached to one drone and glides to the ground where she continues to run as explosives blow up around her; armed people shoot at her and she retrieves one of their guns to shoot a few people (no blood is evident), a vehicle is lowered from a helicopter and the woman and a man speed away in it until it is struck by an explosive and the vehicle flips (the woman is shown with a bloody shard in her side and she gasps and moans); the man and the woman fight others with weapons and the man speeds away on a motorcycle as the woman fights another woman that twists a shard of metal in her side causing her to scream until she stabs the other woman killing her and the helicopter sprays the area with gunfire killing the remaining armed people. A man on a motorcycle jumps off a cliff and lands on a plane’s wing causing an engine to explode and he clings to the fuselage as the pilot spins it trying to get him to fall off. Two men in a plane fight while the plane flies out of control, the men are thrown around and one swings a sword while the other shoots at him; they jump out of the plane and catch onto a container that fell out of the plane, the two men fight mid-air until one man is stabbed in the chest and shot in the head and the other falls into the ocean and sinks quickly.
► A car races through busy streets chased by police swerving in and out of traffic; the driver of the first car has a bloody abdominal wound that he uses the red-hot cigarette lighter to cauterize while police shoot at him, another car speeds toward a truck and a helicopter chases them in the air; the first driver shoots the helicopter and disables it, he drives through a tunnel where he spins his tires over loose bricks throwing one through the windshields of two cars that crash into pillars, he opens his car door and two motorcycles chasing him collide with it and are thrown; he speeds over and off a bridge, catches onto a crane in the air and watches as a car on the ground below blows up. A car is struck by a truck and it flips; we see the people inside dangling by their seatbelts as a man outside approaches and shoots them (the car explodes). A car crashes through the wall of an interrogation room and the driver shoots guards, shoots the first man’s handcuffs off, plants an explosive that blows a wall open and speeds through the building while chased by an armored vehicle; they crash through glass and out of the building onto a street, cars continue to chase and shoot at the first car and the armored vehicle launches an explosive that throws other vehicles and people in the air.
► We see a glowing egg-shaped device that we are told will destroy every living thing on Earth; a man has a vision that shows people and animals disintegrating (we hear screaming and watch as a child reaches for his mother’s hand). A man chained to a table and with a cloth over his face has a woman pour a container of what we understand to be gasoline over the cloth (as if being water-boarded) and he chants. A man climbs a brick wall and when he looks over the edge and sees a sheer, snow-covered mountain; he lets himself fall over the edge and he crashes onto the roof of a car in the alley below, shattering the windshield and crumpling the roof. Two men fight: one swings an axe at the other and the other head-butts him as they continue to fight and we see a flashback to a man with an axe being held to his throat. A man has a vision of fighting someone else using a slingshot (the images are not clear but we see them throwing each other). A woman dangles over a cliff and a man holds her arm (we hear that he saved her).
► A man in an interview is asked about a customer he attacked and broke his arm; the man explains that the customer was accosting a member of the staff and would not leave when asked, and that he was institutionalized for a month after the incident and before leaving the interview he shakes the interviewer’s hand and speaks in a threatening tone. People spar using long reeds. A man is kicked off a crane in the air and he hangs on to a chain. A man in an interrogation room holds a gun and puts one bullet in the chamber, asks another man questions and pulls the trigger whenever he does not give him an answer. A sniper shoots at a man twice and misses.
► A dead man is shown on an exam table and we see the top of his head removed to expose his brain as another man seems to be shocking the brain. A nude man in a containment chamber is seen. A man is shown on an exam table with a mask that is covered with glowing needles; the man reacts to something he sees and he thrashes. Several empty bags of blood are shown in a room where a man has been transfused and awakens. A newborn is shown after having been born in a car with people shooting guns in the surrounding area. A newborn is shown crying after having been born in a hospital setting and it has blood on its face and body. A man hammers a glowing, red-hot piece of metal to make a sword.
► People discuss a process and that it might drown a man undergoing it. A comment is made about a man having carved the words “Look Inside” on his chest. We hear that a man attempted suicide by car crash and that he has a metal plate in his head. A man says, “I’m not crazy, just misunderstood.” A man protests to someone gender labeling him.
Infinite LANGUAGE 5
– At least 1 F-word, 14 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 9 mild obscenities, name-calling (freak, delusional, weird, hoarder cat lady, dude, cripple, cowardice, hedonist, jerk), exclamations (dang, freaking, blah blah blah, shut-up), 2 religious profanities (GD), 6 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Jesus, God, Oh God). | profanity glossary |
Infinite SUBSTANCE USE
– A man is shown taking prescription pills in a few scenes, a man is shown being paid for a job in bags of pills, and a man is shown attached to an IV and he says that he is doing another man’s morphine.
Infinite DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Reincarnation, memories of past lives, schizophrenia, mental illness, conflict, hope, failure, gender labeling, gambling, debauchery, love, purgatory, the human condition, faith, destiny, mysticism, scientific research, disappointment.
– While total recall is for some a blessing, for others it is a curse.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.