Dumb and Dumber To | 2014 | PG-13 | - 6.4.5
Sequel to the popular 1994 comedy "Dumb and Dumber": Intellectually challenged friends (Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels) take a road trip to a science conference to find the daughter that one of them never knew he had. The other falls in love with her. Also with Laurie Holden and Kathleen Turner. Directed by Bobby & Peter Farrelly. [1:50]
- In a nursing home, an elderly woman lies in bed under a quilt when a man reaches under the covers, looking for jewels and asks her if they are in the "wrinkled turkey"; the woman laughs and he withdraws his hand, slightly slimy and the man grimaces, calling her organ Grandgina. A man and a woman kiss passionately, she pushes him into a chair, says, "Give it to me," and removes his shoe; she then licks and sucks his toes. A dream sequence shows a man sucking on a woman's chest armor and reaching for her groin and he awakens, licking a semi-truck grill, with his fingers in a small opening in the bumper; another part of the dream shows the man patting the bosom of an overweight woman.
► A teen boy spreads peanut butter from the jar to below the frame into his pants, calls his dog, that comes running, and the boy looks ecstatic (bestiality implied). A broom closet opens and a woman exits with an older man following, zipping up his fly (sex implied). A woman tries to bribe a convention clerk for a ticket by offering sex in a broom closet as she opens her blouse to reveal cleavage; he tells her he that he is gay and out of the closet for years.
► In a dream sequence, a man pulls a long black whip out of his pants and snaps it at a ninja, bringing it back with testicles hanging from it; the camera cuts to the ninja's face as he collapses below frame.
► A woman tells a man that she cannot become pregnant if he fondles her breasts or puts a glowing French tickler condom on his finger and masturbates her; she whispers to two naïve men what sex entails (we do not hear) and they react by jumping back and shouting in fear. At a conference, a man yells out to a female speaker, "Show us your [anatomical term deleted]!" A man says that he wants to go down "mammary lane." A man asks, "How long after a kidney transplant before you can have sex?" A man falls in love with the picture of a college-aged girl, meets her and decides that she is his daughter from a fling ages ago. A man accuses an elderly man of fathering a college-aged woman out of wedlock. A man says to another man, "Your mother got into bed with ME!" A man says that he told his parents that he is gay in order to get out of lawn mowing. In a host's home a man says, "We don't drink tea; we're straight."
► One man tells another man that he is a father and apparently had a child two decades ago, according to a postcard; the two men discuss how the woman involved reputed to go to Oyster Swallow Cove (a euphemism for intercourse) every night with different men for sex and call her a sexually suggestive name. A girl says that a kidney donor and recipient are genital matches, meaning "genetic."
► A man hands a girl a cork from a wine bottle to use as a tampon and her white pants have substantial blood at the crotch as she walks off-screen. In two scenes, a male mental patient lies on a table with his abdomen and buttocks obscured by a cart; a male friend changes the man's diaper and we see bare thighs, legs and feet.
► Two partially nude men shower under the run off from a nuclear power plant and glow green; we see their backs, shoulders, arms, thighs and buttocks. A few scenes feature women wearing very short skirts and high heels (revealing legs to the thighs) and in a negligee or low-cut blouse that reveal moderate cleavage.
- A man pulls a handgun and points at two other men, but he is on a railroad crossing and a fast train passes, leaving no trace of him (we hear later that he died). A man and a married woman try to poison her husband, but fail; two men capture them in a men's room and one man is shot in the shoulder, three students rush in with handguns, revealing themselves as secret agents and arrest the shooting man and the married woman. A woman pulls the fire alarm at a conference and a man then pulls a gun; another man shouts, "He's got a gun!" causing people to run and scream loudly.
► Two men rig and light fireworks in a third man's motel room and when the explosives ignite, we see flashes of light from the outside and hear a BOOM as the door blows out; the man inside the room runs out and we see him on fire, jumping off the balcony and into a pool (we see reddened skin across his face, chest and thighs later). Riding in a hearse a man sets off firecrackers by the ears of two other men who stop the vehicle, jump out and scream silently (they are now deaf). A man hits his young daughter in the face with a door to dislodge a loose tooth; she falls off-screen and we see the tooth on a string, a bit bloody at the root.
► A dream sequence shows ninjas attacking a man at a prom; they fight with serving trays, but another man suffers stabbing with three thrown knives and dies as the first man jiggles them to see if they are hurt (no blood is seen). A flashback shows a car flip sideways several times down a hill toward the camera. Several tree branches hit a man in the face without injury.
► A mental institute shows male patients in trance and zombie-like wearing mismatched clothing. A nursing home shows elderly men and women wearing robes and pajamas, unmoving in chairs. A disabled and blind man is seen at home in a wheelchair. A man with ALS sits rather folded up, in a wheelchair at a conference and uses a voice-activated computer.
► A man tells his friend that he needs a kidney and after several scenes of the first man complaining of pain, the second man shows up at a hospital with a white cooler that he says contains a kidney; this takes place in a hospital, where the first man is seen on a gurney because he was shot, leaving a large splotch of blood on his back and when a doctor raises the man's shirt we see a deep slice held shut by sections of surgical tape and the kidney donor collapses (he is OK in the next scene).
► A man is seen in a wheelchair on a lawn and we see a stream of urine move from a catheter to a bag hanging on the chair; another man changes bags for him, placing the first bag between his teeth and wiping his mouth later; he later calls to two other men and all three try to pull out the stuck catheter, but just drag the patient across a walkway. Three men play a farting game in a hearse, trapping the third man in the back with intestinal gas as they close a front-back divider window on him; to do this, both men in the front seat push their buttocks over the seat top while one of them pretends to make his buttocks talk with his hands pressing on them and the other man moons the third man as we hear a lot of flatulence. Two men rub their hands inside the back of their pants between their buttocks and hold glasses of leftover "smelly" alcohol to a hostess, who grimaces from the bad smell (please see the Substance Use category for more details). A male mental patient flatulates as a friend changes his diaper (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details). A man makes loud flatulence sounds with his hand in his armpit at a conference. A dog hangs out a parked car's window and barks at a man, slathering copious amounts of spittle on the man. A man gags twice, but does not vomit. A man eats two hotdogs, sucking one off the buns into his mouth, with mustard across his lower face. A man throws a banana peel into a coffin with a corpse in a funeral home, and he and a friend drink blue embalming fluid after making sure it contains no aspartame. A man at a conference asks about sustainability and green industries, "Where does all the extra poop go?" In a men's room a man stands in an open toilet bowl while he tells another man that there were pubic hairs on the edges of the seat. A man tricks two other men into putting large funnels into their trouser waistlines and then pours red Slurpees into the funnels to stain their pants. A man blows a bubble out of his nose.
► Two men drive an old van decorated to look like a dog, but it collapses, so they steal a Zamboni to drive on the highway. Two deaf men barge into a nursing home and steal an elderly woman's hearing aids (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details). A man jumps into the back of a hearse and as the vehicle passes a school bus he makes the kids scream and laugh when he draws back the curtain to show his face made up as a zombie and he bites into a red-jelly donut. Two men riding in a hearse take a break in the center of a two-lane road causing other motorists to honk and shout as they drive around them.
► Two men eat Pop Rocks off the ground. A pigeon eats Pop Rocks from a man's head and a rooftop sniper shoots the pigeon off (no blood is seen). We see pieces of dead parrots all over a room, bloody and heads staring; a cat flatulates feathers toward the camera. A man pulls a cat's tail back (toward the camera) to reveal the anus and calls the cat Butthole.
► Two men talk about an old friend, calling him "Pee-stain" and we hear that a crash killed him. We hear that a man underwent a partial lobotomy and shock treatments for mental retardation.
► Two men stare at two women they call "hotties" and push them into a hedge for a joke (no injuries are shown); one of the women pushes one of the men into the hedge later in the same way. A man gestures a hanging and throat slitting.
► Two men in a Zamboni throw milkshakes on the windshield of two truckers who curse.
- About 2 F-words, 13 sexual references, 8 scatological terms, 18 anatomical terms, 15 mild obscenities (includes euphemisms for F-words: porking, forked, flocking), name-calling (crazy, insane, moron, idiot, astronaut, blowfish, dumbelina, egghead, 10-year-olds, hustler, loser, goofballs, rat, old goat, nuthouse, Snow White), 16 stereotypical references to men, women, the mentally challenged, irresponsible parents, scientists, trailer trash, ninjas, geeks, college students, criminals, homosexuals, bigots, secret agents, Stephen Hawking, the Chinese, Mexicans, exclamations (shut-up), 2 religious profanities (GD), 9 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Holy Cow, Holy [scatological term deleted], Sweet Christ, What In God's Name, Thank God).
- A man wearing a hazmat suit makes illegal drugs that look like sheets of clear sugar in a kitchen and when a cat eats some it swings from a chandelier, a man says God's sense of humor means He probably smoked weed (marijuana), a woman takes a vial of white powder from out of her neckline and pours it into her husband's oatmeal after he calls for Pepto Bismol, a man tells a woman to pour more of a substance (it's poison) on food to kill the husband, and two men drink embalming fluid (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A man holds a bottle of wine and a glass of wine in a dream, two men pour the contents of a variety of drinks into beer glasses and turn them in for fresh beer that they then spill on people in an auditorium, a conference bar shows many empty beer glasses and a set of beer taps, dozens of abandoned glasses hold measures of beer as well as wine and cocktails, and many people have large Margaritas in front of them as they talk and one man drinks from his glass. An elderly woman and a very young girl hold cigarettes in their mouth in the window of a dilapidated trailer in a trailer park, a mentally challenged man says that he is fine even though during pregnancy his mother smoked like a chimney and drank a lot, and a picture of a teen boy shows him with a cigarette hanging from his mouth.
- The mentally challenged, mental institutions and nursing homes, styles of humor, family, friendship, adoption, crime, greed, prejudice, conflict, reconciliation, forgiveness, staying in touch with others.
- The mentally challenged can contribute to society.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.