Swimming Pool | 2003 | R | - 8.4.5
A successful British mystery author (Charlotte Rampling) struggles with her latest work and is offered a country home in France by her publisher (Charles Dance) as a place where she can refresh herself. Upon her arrival, however, she meets the man's daughter (Ludivine Sagnier) who unexpectedly arrives and proceeds to turn her life upside down, as well as reveal many closeted family secrets. Also with Charles Dance, Jean-Marie Lamour and Mireille Mosse. Directed by Francois Ozon. [1:42]
- A man and woman dance together, they kiss, he takes off her panties and we see her, topless, on top of him moving rhythmically and moaning. A man and a woman swim in the nude, he gets out and sits on the side of the pool (his private parts are visible briefly), and she reaches up to perform oral sex on him. A man in jockey underwear stands over a woman who's sunbathing and they both begin stimulating themselves. A woman lies nude on a bed, a man enters the room and touches her leg (she has a pleased expression on her face). We see a fully nude woman (her bare breasts and pubic region are exposed), a bare-breasted woman talks to another woman in an extended scene. A woman lies in a bathtub with a bare breast exposed, a woman swims in the nude (we see her bare buttocks and bare breasts briefly) and sunbathes in the nude (we see her from a distance), a bare breasted woman lies in bed, a nude woman lies sleeping (we see her bare buttocks and back), a nude man lies sleeping (we see his bare buttocks and back). A woman opens her robe and shows her bare breasts to a man, and we see a woman's nipples through a sheer night gown. A woman kisses a man and tries to entice him into having sex. We hear a man and a woman having sex (loud moaning and rhythmic movement). A man and a woman kiss in the background. A woman talks about her sex life saying, "I was 13 the first time and I haven't stopped since." A man and a woman dance suggestively, he then dances with another woman and kisses her neck. A woman has a scar on her stomach.
- A woman hits a man on the head, repeatedly, with a rock. A man and a woman struggle a bit. We see a dead man with a pool of blood around his head lying on the floor. We see a dead man in a wheelbarrow. A woman has an anxiety attack or a fit and faints. We hear people screaming in a movie on a television.
- 1 F-word, 3 sexual references, 2 scatological terms, 7 anatomical terms, 7 mild obscenities, 1 religious exclamation.
- People drink alcohol and smoke tobacco and marijuana.
- Jealousy, creative inspiration, infidelity, success, abandonment, resentment, death of a mother.
- Inspiration can come from the most unexpected places.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.