Sabotage | 2014 | R | - 7.9.10
The men and women of a Special Forces DEA unit complete a major drug bust but they also steal a fortune in cash from the drug cartel and someone begins to assassinate them one by one. With Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sam Worthington, Olivia Williams, Terrence Howard, Joe Manganiello, Harold Perrineau, Martin Donovan, Max Martini, Josh Holloway and Mireille Enos. [1:50]
- Two women at a party lie on a bed in a bedroom and kiss in close-up; one is nude from the waist up, wearing only thong panties and the other wears an opaque top and panties (we see the bare breasts of the first woman as the second woman squeezes her nipples) and a man and a woman wearing a stretchy, see-thru lace top over a sports bra and miniskirt with stockings jump onto the bed and the third woman and man kiss in close-up (with tongues touching) as they slap each other on the shoulders and chest. A man and a woman kiss at a meeting with colleagues and we see their tongues rubbing.
► A woman swims in her outdoor pool at night (we see bare shoulders and arms), a male colleague approaches and the camera cuts to an indoor scene where a long bathrobe covers her completely and she kisses the man; the camera cuts to the next morning outside her house where another male colleague picks her up for work and laughingly teases her about having had sex with the other man and she laughs and says he is just jealous.
► A scantily clad woman in a strip club bends over at the waist at the bar and a man rubs the backs of her thighs as he puts dollar bills into her bikini bottom (we can see some cleavage, bare abdomen and legs); three pole dancers writhe around poles just beyond the bar and two of them wear bikinis while a third wears a clingy tank top with a sleeveless T-shirt under it and snug stretch pants. A woman wearing pantyhose and a mini skirt gets into a van, walks toward the camera into shadows and rips off her skirt; we see the curves of her legs.
► A stripper wearing a skimpy bikini, short-shorts, a short denim jacket and cowboy boots that reveal a lot of cleavage and bared abdomen arrives at the door of a gathering. A few women at a party wear low-cut tops and dresses that reveal cleavage. Many women on the streets wear very short clingy dresses that reveal most of their bared legs to the thigh along with significant cleavage. A thin woman wears a sports bra and bike pants that reveal cleavage, abdomen and thigh curves. A poster on a wall shows the bare upper body of a male bodybuilder with Ronald Reagan's head on it. A woman held hostage in a drug raid (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details) is shown wearing only a bra and panties, exposing cleavage and abdomen.
► A woman offers to show a male friend a cell phone picture of a man's penis covered with blond hair, but the friend refuses (we do not see the image). A male DEA agent tells another male agent that they have a finger in the devil's [crude female anatomical term]. A female DEA agent jokingly calls another woman agent "stripper." A male government agent tells a female FBI agent that she resembles a man with her short hair and she is surprised. A male agent tells male colleagues that another male agent has a transvestite friend.
the review continues below...
- The film follows a drug enforcement team of nine men and one woman who carry high-powered automatic rifles and handguns; drug cartel members carry similar weapons and many scenes include a number of shootouts with multiple bursts of gunfire with sparks, smoke and some flames while several men fall dead in pools of blood and gore.
► In three scenes a man watches a grainy video of his wife being tortured: her hands are bound over her head against a wall, she screams as she is punched, beaten and bloodied with fists and a gunstock (her face is cut and bloody), and she sinks to the floor and speaks her husband's name as a shot is fired at her from off-screen, killing her (the location of the wound is not evident). A man with a rifle argues with a trembling, bloody woman lying in the trunk of a car as she inches toward her own rifle and he shoots her in the chest, killing her with more blood.
► A man wakes up at night to find that his mobile home has been moved onto a busy railroad track and he screams as a fast train rips through it; pieces of the mobile home spark and fly through the air amid flames and we later see mounds of raw muscle, bone and sinew around a train car with blood dripping from its wheels. A man and a woman with a flashlight and handguns drawn enter a dark house and the woman shouts, slips and falls; we see that she has slipped in a pool of blood and a man's body is nailed to the ceiling with his entrails dangling down for several feet below the corpse (the woman is covered in blood on her face and side and she trembles); on an autopsy table later, the body and its clothing are soaked in blood and we see huge nails stuck into the legs and feet while we hear that the man was stabbed several times.
► A man and his wife argue and he grabs her purse, finding a handgun inside; they move to the kitchen where he grinds up her passport in the disposal; she then backs him up to a counter and blood begins to stream from his mouth as his eyes widen (the wound occurred below frame, silently, likely a stabbing) and blood covers the floor and some baseboards; the woman then ties her dead husband's feet together, stuffs him into the refrigerator and another man and a woman discover the body later, remarking on the stench and pool of blood. At a forest cabin, a trip wire sends an unseen small weapon through a man's buttocks and back and he falls dead (there's no blood) while three other men with rifles search for a man and kill him in the kitchen with loud gunfire; blood flows across the floor and splatters wooden cabinets and a man and a woman discover the body, covered in one-dollar bills.
► A DEA agent drives to Mexico, bribes a police chief with large stacks of money, and uses the information he is given to find a drug lord in a bar; the agent enters the men's room and shoots the other man in the temple in close-up after knocking him into a large tub of ice cubes (blood swells up and flows into the ice); the agent then walks into the barroom and shoots everyone (men, women, armed and shooting or unarmed) and we see a little more blood as many men and women fall amid screams, presumably dead; he looks at one man, whose frightened face we see in close-up and the camera cuts back to the agent's face as he fires into the other man's face off-screen; blood drips down his arm to his hand and he sits down (we see a bullet wound on his shoulder as he looks under his jacket and his shirt seems covered in blood on one side).
► A DEA team breaks into a party in a large house and shoots members of a drug cartel with much loud gunfire and blood and many deaths; one man is shot in the face and screams as blood gushes; a man in a bathroom vomits and we see yellow vomitus, and he and another man remove the toilet (we see brown water flowing onto the floor) and they replace the toilet with plastic explosives inside it; another man fires a rifle into the toilet when the room is clear and a loud explosion fills the screen with flames, smoke and debris; one man is wounded during the gunfire (we see blood flow) and then killed by a sniper. A flashback shows men delivering a captured drug lord wearing an orange jumpsuit and a black hood to police (no blood is shown); one female police officer shoots the criminal, is arrested and taken away. A DEA team raids an urban apartment building of four units, pointing rifles at two families with children, and stopping short of shooting a little girl in a doorway; in two other apartments they shoot drug dealers in the face and body, splashing blood on floors, a shower curtain and walls; one criminal holds a woman hostage, but a DEA agent shoots him in the head.
► A man is shot in the head through a diner window and falls into a bloody pool on the floor before another man and a woman with him chase the assassin to a parking garage; another assassin and a man stop a car and take a woman hostage at gunpoint and we see her, gagged and tied into a car in the garage when the assassin pops out of the car trunk and shoots at the man and woman chasing her; the driver speeds off and the chase continues on the highway with shots being fired from both vehicles (windshields splash with blood and other windows shatter); a male cyclist slams into the lead car, then smashes onto the windshield (we see his smashed face, blood and bent eyeglasses) and the lead car rams into the back of a flatbed tow truck, probably decapitating the driver (we see only blood flowing out of the car and a huge bloodstain on the pavement later).
► Several men start a bar fight in a strip club, punching other men and knocking them out; as the attacking men leave, one throws a shot glass to the floor below the frame and we hear tinkling breakage. A woman kisses a man on a bed (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details) then kicks him in the groin, jumps off the bed and knocks him out with a punch. A woman practices punching on a heavy bag that is hanging from the ceiling of a warehouse.
► Several men and one woman use their assault rifles in training through a DEA obstacle course full of dummies representing criminals and victims and after a lot of loud shooting, one of the "criminals" is still standing behind a door; the supervisor berates the team and tells them to try again and then come and kill him at the end (he is not killed) so the team navigates the course again with even more loud gunfire.
► Three male corpses are caught by fishermen, all wrapped tightly in chicken wire; the bodies are brown and shriveled when shown on autopsy tables and we hear that they have been dead for at least a week. A man's bloody body lies on the floor, face up, with many bloody holes in his chest. Four male corpses are shown with tattoos designating an assassins' group. A close-up shows a man washing his bloody hands in a bucket of soapy water and we see the same action in a flashback followed by a group of other men taking the man home.
► We hear that a drug lord tortured and killed a DEA agent's wife and son, then nailed pieces of their bodies to his house over months of time. We hear that a man's thumb was cut off to use to plant fingerprints at crime scenes. An FBI agent says that the Irish often nail enemies to the floor. A man hears that drug lords will cut his throat ear to ear.
► Men and women on a DEA team wear scruffy hair, leather and denim clothing, and tattoos on their necks and forearms, as do several drug dealers and their hired assassins.
► A DEA team walks through smelly sewers of brown water beneath a house, complaining of the stench. A man in a van of men asks who passed gas. A man takes a handgun away for another man, puts it into a urinal and flushes; a second man looks disgusted as he retrieves his weapon.
the review continues below...
- About 184 F-words and its derivatives, 50 scatological terms, 24 anatomical terms, 4 sexual references, 14 mild obscenities, name-calling (stupid, evil, sad, weak, crack whore, Tranny, perfectionist, drunk, Lucky Charms Guy, stripper, girl, adrenalin junkies), stereotypical references to men, women, strippers, Hispanics, the Irish, assassins, government agents, SWAT teams, drug dealers, metrosexuals, transvestites, exclamations (shut-up), 7 religious profanities (GD), 4 religious exclamations (e.g. Jesus Christ, Holy [scatological term deleted], Oh Jesus).
the review continues below...
- A man and a woman sniff a small amount of white powder from a small spoon in a men's washroom, DEA agents raid a drug cartel's hideout and find drug processing equipment and money, DEA agents find 10 one-gallon containers of methamphetamines in a raid, a man tells another man that he needs a Xanax, a female DEA agent opens a prescription bottle and swallows several pills with a gulp of rum from a large bottle (she stumbles as she walks and her eyes are sunken and confused-looking), and a woman's supervisor tells her to stop taking drugs and she tells him to leave her alone. A man drinks beer from bottles in an office and in his mobile home and we see empties on tables in both places, a man and his friends raise bottles of beer and clink them together in a toast and as the bottles lower we see that the men and one woman are in a strip club where many glasses of mixed drinks and bottles of beer fill tables and where men and women are shown drinking, a man drinks whiskey as he watches a torture video (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details), a glass of wine and its bottle are shown on the edge of a swimming pool and a woman in the pool drinks from the glass when a male friend appears with another bottle of wine and they go inside her house where they pour wine (they do not drink), a large outdoor bar behind a home contains empty beer bottles and partially full liquor bottles while several men drink from beer bottles and short glasses of whiskey and a woman shouts and giggles as she drinks beer from a bottle, a man offers a female visitor a bottle of beer and when she declines he insists in a menacing way (she takes the bottle, shakes it up and sprays him with it), a pint of vodka lies on the ground at an accident scene and an agent says that she "can smell the beer" (from a body), a woman visits a friend and says that she needs a drink (she drinks a glass of whiskey), a man and a woman drink large glasses of wine at a home, men and women drink shots and glasses of whiskey with beer at a bar, and a man sits at a table after a gunfight and he drinks a glass of whiskey while smoking a cigar (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A man smokes cigars, a man drinks whiskey as he smokes in two scenes, several men and women at a party smoke cigarettes, in an outdoor scene and an office scene a few men smoke cigarettes, a man smokes a cigarette as he drives a car, and a woman smokes a cigarette outside at a crime scene.
the review continues below...
- Murder, assassins, drug cartels, drug abuse, revenge, justice, corrupt government agents, bribes, torture, trust, loyalty, teamwork, family, upholding the law.
- The law cannot stop some people from obtaining justice.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.