Project X | 2012 | R | - 7.5.10
Based loosely on a real incident, three high school students (Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper and Jonathan Daniel Brown) throw a wild birthday party in order to film it as a documentary and gain popularity. But they get more than they expected -- more nudity, more drugs and alcohol, and more property damage. Also with Kirby Bliss Blanton, Nichole Bloom, Dax Flame and Alexis Knapp. Directed by Nima Nourizadeh. [1:28]
- A 20-something young woman and a 17-year-old boy enter a bedroom, the young woman removes her dress and places the boy's hands on her buttocks, they move to a bed where she removes her bra and he squeezes her breasts several times, as they kiss and moan; a teen girl enters the room, screams, runs outside and the boy runs after her, she shouts at him and leaves the party. A college-aged boy appears to perform oral sex on a writhing girl: his head is off screen, his face comes up to the camera, blushed and sweating and we read on screen that he is involved in three paternity suits. A teen boy and a teen girl, both clothed, appear to be having sex on a sofa while two other boys watch and cheer.
► A dozen girls in their teens and 20s strip to panties and jump into a swimming pool; underwater scenes reveal fully nude bodies except hips and genitals (bare breasts and buttocks are shown). Teen girls dance while wearing just panties and bounce on a trampoline with their bare breasts bouncing. A teen boy talks to a friend in a school locker room and we see the outline of an erection in the second boy's pants. We see the bare back and buttocks of a teen boy in a shower. We see several teen boys appear without shirts. Teen girls at school wear short shorts that reveal full thighs and legs, along with some low-cut tops that reveal cleavage.
► A 20-something young woman rubs lime and salt on a 17-year-old boy's neck for a "body shot," licks it off, kisses a lime out of his mouth and drinks a shot of tequila (please see the Substance Use category for more details). We see two clothed girls kissing each other on a coach and on a bed in close-up (open-mouthed and touching tongues). A teen girl and a teen boy kiss twice.
► Teen boys and teen girls at a party (all clothed) thrust together in a dance that simulates sex; some girls shimmy their clothed buttocks into the camera. Teen boys and teen girls talk generally about having sex, but they are not shown having sex. A 20-something young man, nude except for his running shorts that are partially down at the waistline, pulls up his shorts, grabs the hand of a clothed teen girl and runs out of the house with her.
► Several teen boys enter the boy's bathroom and they find a classmate sitting in a stall while looking at something on a smartphone; the boys accuse him of masturbating and he shouts, pulls up his pants (nothing is seen) and chases them out of the bathroom. A teen boy pretends to masturbate with a garden gnome.
► We hear that a student received 7 detentions for having sex with a teacher. A teen boy says that a friend's pool boy will find the pool full of semen the next morning. An 18-year-old boy says several times that he wants to have sex with (using crude language) "any fat girl with big breasts." A teen boy invites several groups of scantily clad teen girls to a party and says, "Wear something tight." A teen boy announces a birthday party to friends and grabs his crotch.
► A teen boy finds a purple stimulation device in a drawer at a party and waves it around. A teen boy purchases three rubber women for sexual use for a party (we do not see them used). A teen boy steals a box of condoms from a grocery store.
► A small dog at a party thrusts at the rear end of a larger dog and then at the ear of a sleeping teen boy.
- A man wearing a protective suit and carrying a flamethrower burns down several houses, torches cars, burns trees, catches fire himself and blows up a van; we see him on a medic's gurney, blackened with soot but not seriously harmed.
► Police and a SWAT team fire rubber bullets at hundreds of people at an outdoor party at 3:00 AM and announce on a speaker to disperse or be arrested; the street is jammed with cars and running people and we see houses and trees burning, and the next morning we see blackened houses full of water from firefighting, a burned out van and four teenage boys in charred clothing at a high school stadium.
► A dwarf is locked inside an oven and when released, walks through a kitchen and down a hallway, punching all the men he passes in the groin, and leaving a trail of fallen, groaning men; he then leaves the house and drives the owner's new car into the swimming pool, climbs out of the pool and punches several more men in the groin as he leaves the premises. Several fistfights break out at a beer party, but no one receives serious injuries and we see no blood.
► A drug dealer shouts at three teen boys that stole drugs from him, chases their van, jumps on the windshield (he's unhurt) and throws things at the vehicle.
► Two high school boys dressed in yellow security guard jackets jump on adults entering a teen party, and use a stun gun on a man who falls; one boy is punched out by a man when he gets up from the floor, and the two boys used metal "police whips" to hit people's legs and throw them bodily out of a party for being too young.
► Inside a house, underage teens drink alcohol, swing on chandeliers that break, break dishes and destroy furnishings, and a man falls through a living room picture window, while more and more people show up at a party until they make a crowd of 1,500 loud partygoers; cars drive through front yards and pull down fences while teen boys jump from a roof into a swimming pool or ride skateboards from the roof into a pool or onto a bounce house giant trampoline, and a teen boy falls off the back of a treadmill and later jumps off a roof onto a trampoline (we see one broken finger and no blood). A teen boy hits his friend in the nose while riding in a car, but we see no damage.
► A teen boy indicates that his friend's dad is harsh by making a Hitler salute behind the father's back. A teen boy argues loudly with several friends to bully them into having an underage drinking party at a friend's house.
► A man vomits on the passenger window of a car, straight into the audience view. We see a toilet covered in vomit. We hear a woman say that someone pooped all over her front door. A teenager rubs his friend's toothbrush over a bar of soap; his friend brushes his teeth, gags and spits into the sink.
► Three teen boys steal a bag of marijuana and a garden gnome from a drug dealer.
- About 175 F-words and its derivatives, 9 obscene hand gestures, 15 sexual references (including 4 hand gestures for female masturbation), 55 scatological terms, 43 anatomical terms, 7 mild obscenities, 4 exclamations (shut up), name-calling (idiot, loser, Detective Fluffy, Terminator, soccer mom, chubby, whale, insane, maggot), 15 stereotypical references to men, teen boys, the obese, teen girls, mothers, Jews, Hispanics, attorneys, drug dealers, college students, dwarfs, special needs students, loners, 10 religious profanities, 5 religious exclamations.
- Three teen boys visit a drug dealer and smoke a marijuana cigarette with him, three teen boys steal a bag of marijuana from a drug dealer, hundreds of tablets of Ecstasy are discovered inside a garden gnome and many partygoers ingest them (we see them become giggly and stumble), and several men and women of various ages smoke marijuana and blow smoke at the camera and into a small dog's face (the dog falls on its side, presumably intoxicated). Teen boys and teen girls drink liquor and beer bought for them by college students, several teen boys and teen girls jump into a swimming pool after becoming intoxicated (they are unharmed), we see four metal beer kegs at a party and one is shown in a tree with a dozen hoses hanging down from which partygoers suck beer, there are several drinking games with shots that include beer pong, body shots, beer shooters and others, and a teen boy in a supermarket gives a baby a single-serving bottle of vodka (the mom takes it away).
- Following rules, underage drinking, drinking and swimming, unprotected sex with strangers, substance abuse, consequences, popularity, friends.
- Popularity is not worth losing your best friend.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.