Morbius | 2022 | PG-13 | – 2.7.5
When a man (Jared Leto), inflicted with a debilitating blood disease, races against time to develop a cure for himself and his best friend (Matt Smith), he fails to consider the consequences of his actions. Also with Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Tyrese Gibson, Al Madrigal and Michael Keaton. Directed by Daniel Espinosa. [Running Time: 1:44]
Morbius SEX/NUDITY 2
– A man and a woman kiss. A man kisses a woman. A man kisses a woman on the cheek. A man tells another man not to fall in love. Two men hug in greeting in a couple of scenes.
► A shirtless man looks at himself in the mirror, dances suggestively and does push-ups (we see his bare chest, abdomen and back). A shirtless man is shown in a lab setting (we see his bare chest, abdomen and back). A woman wears a camisole and a tank top that reveal cleavage in a few scenes.
Morbius VIOLENCE/GORE 7
– A man carrying a gun walks through a lab and speaks threateningly to a woman who tells him to leave; he does not leave and when they discover that a man in an exam enclosure has disappeared, they enter and the woman sees him clinging to the ceiling; he growls and the man with the gun shoots at him, he flies at the man and kills him (we see him from behind as he apparently is drinking the man’s blood). A man in a containment area thrashes around and breaks the glass walls, gunmen outside the room shoot at him, a woman is knocked to the floor unconscious, the man swoops around the area killing the gunmen (blood splatters around the room), he slams one man into a set of pipes, another man is pulled off the floor and dropped back down dead, and another man is slashed across the throat (we see blood and hear gurgling). A woman in a hospital hallway becomes frightened when she sees something moving in the dark behind her, she runs, the lights in the hallway flash on and off, she stops to look behind her and a hand grabs her around the throat; we hear her scream and see her struggle with a man from a distance; we later see her dead with a blood trickle on her neck (we hear that her blood was drained from her body). Two men argue and shove each other, they each transform, fight through a subway entrance, down an escalator, they slam into walls and land on the floor where they are approached by armed police officers; two officers are attacked and others arrive, they are all slashed and killed (we see some blood spray), the two men continue to argue and one flies in front of a subway train to get away from the other. A man becomes aggressive and threatening toward another man, they argue, he transforms and slashes the man across the abdomen and throat and we see him slumped against a wall later where he dies.
► A man reprimands another man for judging someone on their appearance; he transforms and lunges at the man (we hear the man scream and understand that he was killed, off-screen). A man drinks from a bag of human blood and transforms, he slams against the wall of a jail cell and breaks through it, and jumps across to another building and flies through a city getting away as officers shoot at him. A man follows two men to a makeshift lab where they appear to be printing money; he threatens the two men and another man, and grabs the one man’s hand when he holds a knife on him and breaks his fingers (we hear the cracking as the man screams). A transformed man perches on a rooftop, jumps down when he sees men leaving a bar and we hear commotion and yelling; we later see three bodies covered by tarps when police officers investigate. A transformed man holds a woman by the throat and another man hears them, transforms and flies through a city to find her where she lies with a bloody neck wound. Two transformed men fly through the air, throwing each other into buildings and fighting midair; one is thrown into a lighted sign and falls to the ground below, they both fall through the ground making a deep hole, many bats swarm them and one man lunges toward the other with a metal pole but is thrown back by many bats swarming him. A man is jabbed in the chest with a hypodermic needle and he dies.
► A helicopter lands on a remote island where a trap is unloaded; a man stands at the entrance to a cave, slices his hand with a large knife (we see blood), holds his hand up and we see thousands of what we are told are vampire bats swarming toward and around him and the helicopter. When a man transforms we see him with a mouth full of pointed teeth, his facial features become more angular and his skin stretches, his hands develop long fingers and sharp nails. A man becomes weak, his legs bend unnaturally at the knees when he tries to walk, he stumbles into a cold storage room and drinks from an IV bag of artificial blood.
► Two men approach a man, try to restrain him and shoot at him as he gets away and flies up a stairwell to a rooftop where one of the men finds him and holds a gun on him; we then see the man in a jail cell and an interrogation room. Several boys bully another boy, they will not return a piece of paper to him and surround him teasing; he pleads for them to give it back, he hits one boy with his crutch (the boy falls to the ground), and the other boys push the boy to the ground and kick him repeatedly until a man intervenes and the boys run away. A man yells at another man causing his face to transform briefly and his voice deepens. Two men argue over a woman in a bar, one man shoves the other, the other man leaves and the woman shoves the aggressor. A young boy undergoing dialysis collapses on his bed when the machine stops; another boy calls for help then repairs the machine and the first boy revives. A young girl in a hospital bed thrashes and seems feverish; a woman declares her kidneys are shutting down and a man injects her with something that calms her. Monitors are applied to a man’s neck and chest and a woman injects him in the spine (he grimaces) with a serum, he lies back and is strapped into an exam chair where he thrashes. Two young boys are shown in a hospital where they each undergo a dialysis procedure several times a day (we see ports in their arms). A man locks himself in a room to see what will happen if he doesn’t ingest blood; he becomes weak and barely able to move. A man follows a woman and she eludes him. A man flexes in a mirror and snarls as his face transforms to have sharp teeth, red eyes and protruding cheekbones. A woman cuts her finger and we see blood; a man transforms and struggles not to go after her when he smells the blood.
► A man materializes in a jail cell and cannot figure out how he got there. A man speeds in a car to an isolated area where he sees something with wings speeding toward him (dust blows around). We see investigators at a crime scene and they say that there are 8 bodies almost completely drained of blood. Two boys talk about a blood disorder and that one of them will make a cure for them. A man talks about having created artificial blood; we see a blue liquid in pouches in several scenes. A man talks about how being near death is very chic. A man talks about an increasing urge to consume human blood. A man flips around a room, up onto a metal framework and back down to the floor and describes feeling superhuman. A man stands in a containment area where many bats swirl around him and a few land on his arm. A man talks about having acquired echolocation and when he tests it we see and hear sounds throbbing around a room. An investigator shows a woman crime scene photos and asks if she thinks injuries look like fang marks. A man in an interrogation room asks for a bag that contains bags of blood. A man pretends that sunlight burns his skin when a woman tests him.
► A man writes on a glass wall the word, “BLOOD.” A man asks a woman where another man is and she tells him she doesn’t know; he seems threatening when he asks her again and we hear her heart rate increase. A woman invites a man to have dinner with her and he picks his teeth with a toothpick and says he’s already eaten (he had earlier attacked and killed three men). A man tells a woman that he was trying not to, “Go full Dracula on you.” A man says, “I should have died years ago.” A man tells another man that a scientific experiment is not exactly legal, it is dangerous and must be performed in international waters. A news report details a murder of three men and that they were completely drained of their blood; residents in a city are told to stay home after dark.
► A man watches a video of himself killing other men and he vomits (we do not see goo). We see video footage of an attack on three men. A transformed man drinks blood from a dead person’s neck and roars loudly. A man tries several experiments on white mice and we see one mouse injected with a serum, and it thrashes and collapses on its side, but revives later. The remains of an animal are shown after being mostly stripped of its flesh (we see bones and blood). Two men are shown needing to use canes or crutches to walk and appear very weak and emaciated. A shirtless man is shown in a lab setting (we see his discolored flesh and darkened veins under the skin). A man shakes a cat litter box and determines that the cat is gone.
Morbius LANGUAGE 5
– At least 1 F-word, 5 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 4 mild obscenities, name-calling (freaks, cranky old men, crazy, unorthodox, cripple, goon squad, stupid, mercs, unforgivable, jerk, repulsed, liar, bloodsuckers, little monster, primal, your highness, pain in my [anatomical term deleted], not exactly legal, dangerous, thugs), exclamations (great), 1 religious reference (a man brings a vial of holy water to an interrogation room when questioning a murder suspect). | profanity glossary |
Morbius SUBSTANCE USE
– Several scenes show serums in vials, a serum is injected into a mouse, a man prepares a vial of poison, and a serum is injected into a man (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). People are shown drinking in a bar, a man and a woman drink shots of Tequila in a bar, a man drinks a cocktail, a man drinks from a flask, and men on a ship drink beers and smoke cigarettes at a card table.
Morbius DISCUSSION TOPICS
– DNA manipulation, plausible deniability, friendship, greed, scientific process, shame, pity, ethics, taking risks, the Spartans, control, love, betrayal.
– Scientific advancements in the wrong hands can lead to improper application.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.