The Intouchables | 2012 | R | - 4.4.6
A film based on the true story of a wealthy French businessman (Francois Cluzet), who after becoming paralyzed hires an unlikely helper (Omar Sy). Also with Audrey Fleurot, Clotilde Mollet and Anne Le Ny. Directed by Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano. In French with English subtitles. [1:53]
- A woman jokingly offers to take a bath with a man, she unbuttons her blouse, the man strips off his shirt and begins to pull off his pants, the woman walks away, and the man pulls his pants up and chases her. A man tries to kiss a woman and she pulls away.
► Two women give two men massages: one of the women massages the man's chest and ears as the other woman massages the other man's chest (the women are implied to be prostitutes). A woman gives a man an erotic massage and she is wearing a low-cut negligee that reveals cleavage. A man teases another man by rubbing his earlobes. A man stares at a woman's backside.
► A woman wraps her arm around another woman, the woman tells a man that she would be up to a threesome, the man thinks she is being serious and the woman says she is joking after the man tries to take her up on the offer. A man flirts with a woman, winking at her, and he then jokes that the woman should have given him her phone number. A man tells another man that the man's teen girl is "making out" with a teen boy all over the house. A man tells another man that a woman "has the hots" for him. A man tells a woman that another woman "has the hots" for him. A man jokes with a woman that another man is a "seducer" by how he writes letters to various women. A man teases a woman, joking that she has a crush on another man, making a vague sexual reference. A man jokes with another man that they need to create a "hooker file" when he looks at a postcard for a prostitute. Two men have a joking conversation about ears being an erogenous zone, and then both make a joke implying erections. A man jokingly asks another man if he has gotten into a physical relationship with a woman. A paralyzed man explains to another man that he cannot control himself in a sexual manner, since he is paralyzed and that he can feel sexual stimulation with his ears. A man jokes with another man that a musician would "get chicks" with his music. A man jokes with another man that a song is about "men running naked." A man makes a remark about a painting of a woman and we see the woman's bare back.
► We see a man in a bath, and his bare chest is visible as he stands up and puts a towel around his waist; he shouts at a girl and a boy (his niece and nephew) to leave the room.
- Two police officers are shown with their guns drawn and pointed at a man; the man climbs out of a car, one of the officers shouts at him, pushes him onto the hood of the police car, the man shakes off the two police officers and shouts that his passenger is having a stroke and might die and we see the man coughing and panting (he is pretending and the man is unharmed).
► A woman slaps a man on the face. A man grabs another man from the driver's seat of a car and shoves him against a wall while shouting; we later hear another man mention that the man had "hit" the other man. A man grabs a teen boy, shoves him against a wall and makes a vague threat. A man grabs his younger brother, who shoves him away and storms off after shouting. We see a cut on a teen boy's face, he says he had fallen from a scooter and a man angrily grabs the boy. A man storms into a room.
► A man wakes up in the middle of the night and listens to a paralyzed man's labored breathing, he goes to help him (he is having a seizure but is unharmed) and calms him down; the paralyzed man later awakens in a panic, but calms down and tells his caregiver that he has "ghost pain" that feels like he is a "frozen steak being thrown into a pan."
► A man drives a car rapidly down a busy road, and we hear sirens and see police officers behind him. A man screams, momentarily scared, as he paraglides (he calms down moments later). We see a group of boys playfully shoving one another. A man falls over as he tries to dance and another man laughs at him, as he gets up unharmed.
► A man corrals a boy and a girl out of a room while shouting. A woman shouts at her adult son. A man shouts at a teen girl and shoves her out of the room; the man later tells the teen girl's father that he is going to slap the teen girl if she does not behave.
► A teen girl cries, a man discovers that she has taken an anti-diarrhea medication and a pain killer, he teases her that she is going to die, and the teen girl continues to cry, telling the man that she had been dumped.
► A teen girl rudely remarks that a man can "beat her" like people in "his country" do. A man jokingly remarks that men in a different part of a country beat women. A man tells another man that his wife had died after having multiple miscarriages. A man tells another man that his uncle, who had raised him, had died. A man tells another man that he had become a quadriplegic after being in a paragliding accident and breaking his back in two places. A man tells a woman the he will not "empty" a paralyzed man's rectum and the woman agrees that she will help the paralyzed man. A man tells another man that his spittle is "disgusting" and they both laugh as he wipes the man's mouth. A paralyzed man tells another man that he has to wear constriction stockings or he will pass out. A man jokes that he was raised to feel like when you are important enough that you could "pee on the world." A man jokes that another man could send a photograph of himself drooling. As two men fly, the plane experiences turbulence and one of the men jokes, "It's been nice knowing you" as the other man panics and then laughs.
► A woman discovers a switchblade in a man's bag.
- About 11 F-words, 2 sexual references, 13 scatological terms (2 mild), 6 anatomical terms (3 mild), 14 mild obscenities, name-calling (not Mother Theresa, indult, fat belly, unstable, brutal, Patrick Swayze, incredibly stupid, idiot, maniac, moron, insane, crazy, silly, jerk, only Northern girl with all her teeth, chimney sweeper, funny hair, old dude, Lincoln, Freud), exclamations (shut up), 8 religious profanities, 6 religious exclamations.
- We see men smoking what is implied to be a marijuana cigarette, a man offers another man a marijuana cigarette and they later joke about being stoned, a teen boy is seen leaving a police station and he remarks that he had been arrested for possession of marijuana but was released because it was not enough, and a man discovers that a teen girl has taken an anti-diarrhea medication and a pain killer. On multiple occasions we see men and women drinking wine with dinner, a man drinks whisky and champagne, and a man drinks beer on the street. Throughout the movie we see men and women smoking cigarettes.
- Disabled person rights, empathy, loss of a loved one, paraplegics, depression.
- Everyone finds help in different ways. Friendship can give hope.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.