The Hitman's Bodyguard | 2017 | R | - 4.8.10
A bodyguard (Ryan Reynolds) down on his luck after failing to prevent the assassination of a high-powered client finds himself guarding a notorious hitman (Samuel L. Jackson) that's being transported to the Hague to testify against the Belarusian president (Gary Oldman). Also with Salma Hayek, Elodie Yung and Richard E. Grant. Directed by Patrick Hughes. Several lines of dialogue are spoken in Japanese, Belarusian, French and Spanish and most are accompanied by English subtitles.[1:58]
- A man and a woman run into each other and fall to the floor with the woman on top; we then see the two kissing passionately and pressing each other against a wall (sex is implied).
► A woman kisses a man on the head. A husband and his wife dance closely on a dance floor while people around them fight (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details).
► A woman makes reference to hearing about a man's sexual activities. A man in a car addresses his passenger in the backseat and refers to "You and your wives." A man makes a disparaging remark about the size of another man's genitals.
► A few scantily clad women (wearing thongs and bras) are shown in a window display and we see bare buttocks and backs. Several scantily clad women run through streets and we see bare abdomens, cleavage and bare legs; one group runs passed a building with a sign that reads, "Peep Show." A woman wears low-cut tops that reveal cleavage in several scenes. A woman is shown covered to the upper chest (cleavage and bare shoulders are visible) by a sheet and sleeping as a clothed man kisses her on the cheek. We see several male and female mannequins wearing S&M type garb with leather straps and chains.
- Many people with guns open fire on each other and many of them are shot (we see blood spurt and splatter throughout): one man is shot through the eye, one in the chest, one man is shot in the leg and falls to the ground and others thrash when they are struck; one man shoots the back of a vehicle until it explodes near several other men (presumably blowing them up as well). A gunfight breaks out among many armed people and blood splatters and squirts from wounds; police storm the building and two men run to the roof where one jumps off the ledge (he hits ledges on the way down and lands in a dumpster) and the other climbs down scaffolding. Three gunmen shoot many bullets at two men hiding behind a car; the car leaks gas and explodes throwing the two men into the air (they are charred but OK) and one man shoots the 3 gunmen in the head (we see bloody bullet holes). A teenage boy in the back seat of a car shoots the driver in the back of the head. Two men shoot another man simultaneously. A man shoots at a man from a great distance and the bullet grazes another man on the shoulder (we see a bit of blood). Many people with guns chase a man through busy streets: we see pedestrians running for cover, we hear screaming and yelling, we see explosions and people being struck by bullets (blood spurts). A man being chased by gunmen steals a boat and speeds through waterways while being shot at; several cars crash into each other while chasing him, they are shot at and some explode, the man in the boat shoots a flare into a car and it fills with smoke, a couple of cars drive off the road and into the water, the boat crashes through a smaller vessel and the two people on board jump off and into the water, and people fall off the road and into water during the mayhem. A man on a motorcycle drives next to a moving car, the car driver grabs the other man by the arm and holds him as the car continues to speed, he shoots the man and the man falls to the roadway. A man fights two men in a restaurant kitchen and one man is pressed on the griddle a couple of times (we hear his face sizzle and he screams); a man uses a rolling pin and a skillet to fight the other man. A man fights another man in a hardware store; one man is slammed in the abdomen with an axe (we see it sticking in his abdomen), he shoots the man a few times with a nail gun and we see a bloody nail pulled out of his forehead, he is wrapped around the throat with a heavy chain and held cutting off his air before being shot through the back three times (we see bloody holes open in his shirt).
► A man is shot in the head through an airplane window and blood splatters on the glass (we hear women in the plane screaming). A man is forced to stay seated while his wife and young son are shot to death (we hear the gunshots; we do not see the result).
► A man on a motorcycle speeds through a market causing people to dodge out of the way and causing some merchandise to be dumped; he bumps into a car and continues going, jumps a bridge and knocks a man with a bazooka to the ground as the weapon fires and blows up a car. A man is struck by a car and is thrown onto the hood and then the ground (he moans).
► We hear that a preacher was "slaughtered" by a man and we see a shadow of a man swinging a crowbar down on another man as he kneels on the ground. A flashback shows a man dispatching several other men using various means: Two are tied up in a garbage dumpster, one has his head slammed in a closing elevator door, and a few are shot and stabbed (blood splatters and sprays with each blow). We see a photograph of a man shooting innocent villagers. A man shoots at a man and another man jumps in front of the bullet (he is struck and we see blood on his back and abdomen).
► A man is strapped into a chair and other men prepare to torture him; one man punches him hard in the ear (he yells) and they then cover the man's face with a wet towel and apply jumper cables to his temples (he squirms and yells and we see some bruising on his temples). Several armed men approach another man walking on a sidewalk and another man disables each of them before they attack the walking man. A man stabs another man in the hand with a pen and twists it (we see blood and hear squishing), and then pulls the pen out of his hand. A man kicks another man twice, wraps a strap around his neck and holds his head under water (he lets him go when the attacker gets a phone call). A man slams a woman against a wall and holds her around the throat as he gags; she is freed and they fight with punches and kicks until another man shoots the man. A helicopter is shot at and the pilot is struck (blood spurts on windshield); the chopper tips and falls over as it explodes. A man shoots another man in the leg and he falls with blood spray. We see people being thrown and being threatened with broken bottles, and a man jumps on another man and he appears to be gouging the man's eyes as we see another man in flames staggering on the road way.
► A man grabs a woman's clothed buttock and she elbows him in the face, then she fights several other men, stabbing one in the throat with a broken bottle (blood sprays), snapping one man's arm (we see blood and bone poking through the flesh), and stabs another man under the arm with a broken bottle (blood sprays and pours out). A man fights four other men and uses punches and kicks; he beats one man with the butt of a gun, he shocks another man with jumper cables, and shoots another man (we see thrashing, hear yelling and squishing). Two men fight over guns and shove each other against walls; one kicks the other in the leg where he has a gunshot wound and his leg bleeds profusely causing him to pass out. A man holds another man by the throat. A man punches a car window shattering it and his hand bleeds. A man punches another man in the face (we see no blood). A prisoner in shackles is led by armed guards toward a transport vehicle and the prisoner head-butts one guard in the face (we see his bloody nose). A man holds a woman around the throat and another man shoots the attacker in the shoulder (blood spurts). A man kicks another man off a roof and the falling man crashes onto the roof of a car below (we see blood on his head and face). A man is chased through a subway train and the station; the man stabs another man (we see blood).
► Several armed men search a man's home and throw things on the floor. Three cars speed very close together along roadways and onto an airport tarmac. A man is chased in a car through a park and is shot at. A man puts a handgun in a holster as he dresses.
► A semi-truck filled with explosives tips on its side and blows up outside a court building and rubble falls on people inside while people outside run in fear. A transport van is blown up on a road and it tips on its side (we see the occupants bloody and a couple are unconscious). An explosive blows up in a garage sending flames into the street and throwing a flaming tire into the air and it rolls along the roadway. Ammunition in a burning car shoots out and hits another car blowing it up. A man runs between two approaching trains and hangs from the window of one before dropping off and onto a road unharmed. A man drives a car into a cement barrier and when is stops abruptly the passenger is thrown through the windshield (we see the man with scratches on his face but he seems OK). A man steals a car and speeds out of a garage causing the car to ramp and crash into a barrier and the air bags deploy; his passenger shoots the bags to deflate them before they drive away. A funeral home bursts into flames during a funeral and people run and scream. An SUV drives in front of a semi-truck, that hits it and it explodes (the people inside the vehicle are apparently still inside).
► A woman curses (in Spanish with no translation) and pounds on a telephone in frustration. Two men argue in several scenes. A woman talks about wanting to crush a man's head under her shoe. A man says that he wants proof of another man's death, "Like a head." Many people chant in protest outside a courthouse. A man talks about having been held in an internment camp for 3 years. A woman in a prison cell forces her cell mate to stand in a corner in several scenes. A man says that a woman chopped part of his ear off with a machete and then sewed it back on. A man says that nuns want to perform an exorcism on him. While a man is being chased and shot at another man says, "I hope they kill him." We hear about the gruesome atrocities committed by a man.
► We see the very bloody leg wound of a man who was shot and he pulls the bullet out using scissors (we hear squishing and see a lot of blood on the leg and the floor). A painting shows a man with bloody tendrils (like flesh/tissue or organs) in his mouth and being pulled out of another man. A dead man is shown in an open casket and the casket falls and tips over causing the people gathered to scream. A man and a woman run into each other and fall to the floor with the woman on top of the man. A man's shirt is shown splattered with blood in several scenes. A man empties many guns and weapons form his pockets after he sets off a metal detector.
► A man seated in a car urinates into a drink bottle (we hear the trickle and see the urine in the jar as he puts the cap on (no flesh is seen). A woman flatulates. A man says that his car smells like a cemetery. A man has a tattoo on his head and hand. A woman has tattoos on her arms. A man is shown with scarring on his face and we hear that it is from a poison. A man hands a nearly full drink bottle to another man (it apparently contains urine).
- About 90 F-words and its derivatives, 1 obscene arm gesture, 1 obscene hand gesture, 3 sexual references, 45 scatological terms, 30 anatomical terms, 9 mild obscenities, name-calling (boring, useless, sociopaths, whore, insane, stupid, hipster, spunky, punk, pimp, stupid, cucaracha, idiot, retard, annoying, child, ludicrous, charade), exclamations (shut-up), 4 religious profanities (GD), 9 religious exclamations (e.g. Jesus, Thank God, Jesus Christ, God, Go With God, Jesus [F-word deleted] Christ).
- A man scoops several pills off a desk and into his mouth (it's not clear what they are), and a man makes reference to another man using cocaine. A man takes several drinks from a flask, a man is referred to as an alcoholic, a man drinks shots of alcohol and then drinks directly from the bottle, people drink wine at a restaurant, and people drink beer from bottles in a bar scene. Men and women smoke cigarettes in a couple of scenes.
- Contract killers, bodyguards, Interpol, Belarus, genocide, internment camps, arms dealers, human rights violations, mercenaries, The Hague, trust, moles, CIA, love, relationships, guilt, political rivals, projecting.
- Trust your instincts.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.