Brigsby Bear | 2017 | PG-13 | - 4.3.4
A 25-year-old man (Kyle Mooney) discovers that the people he has been living with are not his real parents and he was actually kidnapped at birth. He is rescued and returned to his biological family but all he wants to do is figure out the end of a show that he watched throughout his youth. Also with Mark Hamill, Claire Danes, Greg Kinnear, Andy Samberg and Michaela Watkins. Directed by Dave McCary. [1:40]
- A man under covers in bed looks at a poster of a woman and masturbates (we see slight movement under the sheets; nothing else is visible). A man and a young woman kiss on a bed at a party; the young woman opens the man's pants (we hear the zipper but we see no nudity), the man becomes aroused and runs out of the room saying, "Thank you for what you are doing."
► A young man and a young woman kiss at a party, in the background. A man wearing a bear costume and a woman kiss. Young men and women dance at a party.
► A man talks to a young woman about the time they touched each other's bodies and were "...doing sex type stuff"; the young woman says that she is not interested in doing that again. A man wearing a bear costume in a TV show says, "Only touch your penis twice a day." A man asks another man about his confinement and asks, "Did they ever touch you?" and the man replies yes and demonstrates shaking hands (nothing sexual is implied). A young woman wears a tank top that reveals cleavage.
- Police officers and FBI agents break into an underground compound and arrest a man and a woman, and take another man to a police station before releasing him to his biological parents (we hear that the man was kidnapped at birth).
► A man lights a fuse and runs as a huge explosion rings out; police arrive and one officer tackles the man to the ground and arrests him. A man steals a car and is arrested at a diner. A man throws a TV through a hospital window and jumps out to the ground (unharmed).
► A man is frightened when a dog jumps on him in greeting. Two young women and a man wearing a bear costume are shown shackled to walls while being threatened by a huge face in the sky on a TV show (they end up freeing themselves unharmed and destroying the face in the sky). A man in a movie is struck in the head by a hockey puck. A man holds his breath when a car window is opened thinking that the air is poisoned, but realizes it is OK. A man imagines sinking into grass like quicksand. A man drives a car for the first time and swerves a bit. A man speeds away in a car. We see patients in a psychiatric hospital.
► A family lives in what appears to be an underground bunker and when they leave they wear gas masks. We see animatronic animals and insects outside a compound.
► A huge face in the sky laughs maniacally a couple of times on a TV show. Two men argue briefly. A man talks about getting "skincer disease" if he breathes the air. A man asks if he is being arrested because he threw a rock at a fox. We hear that a man and a woman are charged with felony kidnapping. A man tries to bribe a police detective to get confiscated property. A police officer tells a man that an explosion the man caused is considered an act of terror. A man wearing a bear costume shoots a glowing beam at a huge face in the sky and the face shrinks then explodes.
► A man coughs while leaning over a toilet (presumably vomiting; we see no goo).
- 2 sexual references, 17 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 3 mild obscenities, name-calling,(sun snatcher, outlaw, stupid, hopeless, boring, wasted, freak), exclamations (heck), 6 religious exclamations (e.g. Holy [scatological term deleted], Jesus. Jesus Christ, Oh My God).
- Several people take pills at a party and some wash them down with alcohol, a man appears to feel weird after taking a pill and a young man tells him later that he was tripping, a young man says that he has a drug test coming up, a young man says that he has drinks and another young man is bringing marijuana, a police officer tells a man that they found marijuana and open containers in a car, and a young woman enters a party and asks a young man if he has any "stuff" (presumably drugs). Several people at a party hold cups of beer and bottles of beer and a young man says that the kegs are in the back, a woman has a glass of wine at her place and a man has a beer at his during a dinner, and a young woman drinks a beer while walking and it foams up spilling on the ground.
- Kidnapping, prophecy, fantasy, imagination, heroes, curiosity, destiny, family.
- Be who you want to be. Don't give up.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.