Time | 2020 | PG-13 | – 5.2.5
Documentary about Fox Rich, a mother of six boys and a successful businesswoman, who fought for 20 years to secure the release of her husband, who was convicted to a 60-year prison sentence for robbery as a young man. It is mostly told with home video footage. Directed by Garrett Bradley. [Running Time: 1:21]
Time SEX/NUDITY 5
– A husband and his wife kiss in the back of a car and have sex (we see his bare back and her bare shoulders and we hear moaning and brief thrusting).
► A woman is shown wearing a top that has cutouts over her chest and we see the top of her breasts. A woman shows her pregnant abdomen and says that she is expecting twins. A woman wears a bikini that reveals cleavage and bare abdomen. An infant is shown wearing a diaper and we see the umbilical clip.
► A woman talks about falling in love and marrying her high school sweetheart. A young boy says, “I can have all the girlfriends I want.” A woman talks about looking forward to holding her husband. A woman talks about having to take her clothes off because prison guards “wanna see.”
Time VIOLENCE/GORE 2
– A woman describes the armed robbery of a credit union that led to the arrest of her husband and herself and that the charges carried a 5 to 99-year sentence, without parole or probation. A woman talks about her husband being in jail and serving a 60-year sentence for a robbery they committed together and she says that she has been out for a week and a day. A woman talks about the incarceration of people of color. A woman talks about undergoing rectal searches in prison. A woman describes treatment in prison as “cruel and unusual punishment.” A woman says, “The prison system is slavery.”
Time LANGUAGE 5
– At least 1 F-word, 3 scatological terms, anatomical terms, 4 mild obscenities, 1 derogatory term for African-Americans, name-calling (crazy, white folk, retarded), exclamations (oh my goodness, focus, oh baby), 1 religious profanity (GD), 7 religious exclamations (e.g. God, Praise God, Bless Me Lord, God Watches Over The Sparrows, Grace Of God, Come On Lord). | profanity glossary |
Time SUBSTANCE USE
– Teenagers in a photo in a limousine are shown holding glasses of what could be alcohol. A woman smokes from a vape.
Time DISCUSSION TOPICS
– The American Dream, mass incarceration the judicial system, family, dreams, fear of failure, hope, masculinity, tenacity, personal vendetta, desperation, bad credit, legal services, plea bargains, limitations, resilience, Hurricane Katrina.
– Mass incarceration is unfair and the prison sentences of African-Americans are often extremely severe and unfair.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.