Thirteen | 2003 | R | - 7.4.9
A 13-year-old A-student (Evan Rachel Wood) living in Los Angeles relates how her life changed dramatically after meeting another teen (Nikki Reed) who taught her about drugs and sex and the intricacies of body piercing. Also with Holly Hunter, Brady Corbet and Jeremy Sisto. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke. [1:40]
- A man undresses a woman and she stands fully nude in a shower (we see bare breasts and pubic region). A girl and a boy kiss, she climbs on his lap , then another girl and boy kiss, she climbs on his lap, the girls remove their tops (we see their bras) and one of the boys unzips his pants. Two girls kiss a man, he kisses them, they take off his shirt and caress his chest. A man and a woman kiss, he climbs on top of her and caresses her. A man and a woman kiss in bed together. A girl and a boy kiss (they lick each other's tongues), and the boy kisses the girl's neck. A boy and a girl kiss, and two girls kiss a couple of times (they are practicing kissing). A girl kisses a woman on the lips (she's a friend's mother). A girl sneaks out of a house at night with a boy and it is suggested that they are going to have sex. Girls and boys dance together. A girl flashes her breasts at a young man (we see her bare back). A woman wears a low-cut top that reveals cleavage and her bare back and shoulders. Girls wear outfits that reveal cleavage, bare abdomens, bare backs to the hip, bare legs; also girls wear low-slung pants and part of their thong underwear sticks out of the waistband. A man's underwear hangs low and shows his buttock cleavage. A man is bare-chested in a few scenes and boys take off their shirts and run through sprinklers. We see photographs of young bare-chested men.
- Two girls are shown slapping and punching each other in the face: they have ingested a drug, and ask each other to hit harder and harder until one ends up with a bloody lip, and one is knocked out when she hits her head on the floor (we see this scene again later). A girl cuts her wrist with a pair of scissors in a few scenes (we see blood begin to run) and once with a razor blade. A girl pierces another girl's belly button; we see needle begin to poke the skin and we see the girl biting a stuffed animal and screaming. A girl has her tongue pierced; we see the clamp holding her tongue and the pointed device getting closer to her tongue. A woman has blood wounds on her ears from plastic surgery. A girl and her brother fight with yelling and shoving. A girl and her mother yell at each other in several scenes. A woman slips and falls on a floor, then begins tearing up the floor covering in anger. A girl talks about having been abused (sexually) and having been pushed into a fire (we see a scar on her back). A girl talks about her mother having died. Girls shoplift several times and one girl steals a woman's wallet. A girl is shown selling drugs in a park.
- 43 F-words, 2 obscene hand gestures, 13 sexual references, 36 scatological terms, 8 anatomical terms, 16 mild obscenities, 2 religious profanities, 15 religious exclamations.
- People are shown smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and using a variety of drugs.
- Parent/child relationships, becoming a teenager, peer pressure, shoplifting, drugs, body piercing, plastic surgery, alcoholism, cheating, lying.
- Parents must be engaged in their children's lives and continue to communicate with them as they become teenagers.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.