It Follows | 2015 | R | - 8.7.5
After strange sexual experiences among urban ruins, a teen girl (Maika Monroe) feels terrified that an evil shape shifting entity is following her. She asks her friends (Olivia Luccardi, Lile Sepe and Keir Gilchrist) for help, but without adults to guide them, they find that they may be outfoxed by persistent demons. Also with Daniel Zovatto and Jake Weary. Directed by David Robert Mitchell. [1:34]
- A nude woman appears in a sequence, walking toward another woman that is wearing only her bra and briefs, tied in a wheelchair; the nude woman displays full frontal nudity and first we see either a shadow or thick, dark pubic hair but in the second part of the scene, the pubic area is hairless. A teen girl's father stands nude on their rooftop with legs and feet spread apart in the daytime; we see full frontal nudity, including pubic hair, testicles and penis. A teen boy looks at porn magazine in an attic and we see a woman wearing a skimpy bikini on one cover and three women wearing string bikinis, one without a top at all (we see large amounts of cleavage, breasts and nipples) and one woman has an index finger in the panties of her string bikini. In a darkened house, a woman wearing a bra that uncovers one breast and nipple and leaves her shoulders bare walks toward the camera; she wears a micro-mini skirt that bares most of her thighs and she urinates down the skirt, thighs and legs and onto the floor as she walks barefoot.
► A woman wearing a long robe knocks repeatedly at a man's door and when he opens the door we see that the robe is open to reveal one full breast and nipple; she dives onto him and appears to rape his corpse on the floor (we see his open blank eyes, his head turned sideways and his face gray) where she lies on top of him and thrusts several times; the camera focuses on the crotch of her panties against his groin (looks clothed) with a pool of blood welling there and beginning to drip to the floor as we see parts of her thighs and her feet rubbing against his lower legs.
► A 21-year-old man and a teen girl walk in dark woods at night, sit down and kiss for several seconds, they drive to an abandoned factory where we see them having sex in a seated position in the back seat of the car (their hips and groin areas are blocked by the car door and we see her wearing a bra and briefs that reveal her cleavage, abdomen and partial buttocks after the car door opens while we see the young man's bare chest and shoulders); we hear labored breathing and moans of pleasure as the girl moves up and down in a sitting position and she kisses the young man on the forehead (in a long shot, he exits the door while pulling up his jeans and we see his bare buttocks). A shirtless man climbs on top of a clothed teen girl in a hospital bed and gets under the covers with her where he thrusts several times, as she looks out the door of her room and the scene ends. A teen girl removes her T-shirt and yoga pants and steps into a lake (she is wearing her tank top and panties, revealing some cleavage and bare legs) to swim to a boat where she sees three men; the scene cuts to her driving home with wet hair and sex is implied. A teen girl covered with a quilt lies on top of a teen boy who is bare-chested and begins to thrust as they have sex quietly under the quilt; the camera cuts to the couple sitting side by side with bare shoulders in close-up as they tell each other that they feel no different now.
► A teen boy drives past two women wearing short, tight skirts and tight tops that reveal cleavage; they appear to be standing on the corner as prostitutes. A woman wearing high heels, micro-mini skirt and sleeveless flowing blouse runs down a sidewalk with her bosom bouncing. A teen girl wears shorts that bare her full legs. A teen girl wearing a bra and briefs sits in a wheelchair with her wrists tied to the arms of it (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details) and we see some cleavage and her abdomen. Teen girls wear one-piece swimsuits that reveal shoulders, arms, some cleavage and fully bared legs in several scenes. A teen girl wears a band top with short shorts, revealing cleavage and midriff as well as legs to the thighs. Several teen girls wear short shorts that reveal bare thighs and partial buttocks. In a bathroom scene, a teen girl looks at herself wearing a white bra and briefs (we see bared shoulders, arms, cleavage, back and abdomen, no navel and part of her bare thighs); she pulls her briefs open and looks into them for a few seconds (we do not see). A teen girl wears a sleeveless dress and her bra straps show.
► A teen boy watches TV and glances longingly several times at a teen girl in the room.
the review continues below...
- A girl runs from her home at night, looking terrorized and glancing back as if being chased by an unseen enemy; she drives to a beach and cries on a cell phone to her father and the scene cuts to dawn and we see her open-eyed corpse in the sand face up, with a leg broken inside out and twisted toward her head (both thighs are bloody and we see splintered bone emerging from the broken leg).
► A teen girl sees a man wearing long underwear smash a window at night with a rock and climb in the house; she tries to warn the resident on the telephone, but he does not answer and she runs into the house and sees a demon in the form of a woman killing the resident (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details) and she flees and drives away.
► A demon on a beach appears as a female friend with a bloody leg and attacks a teen girl by pulling her hair (which looks like it is rising by itself to the other friends there); the demon puts two dark red scrapes on a teen boy's abdomen, and a teen girl shoots the demon (it falls and gets back up), it becomes a 7-foot-tall man and kicks in the door of a boathouse and a hissing anorexic person climbs through the hole in the door as several teens run away; one girl flees in a car, misses a pickup truck, hits a mailbox, crashes into a cornfield and we see her in a hospital bed, where she lies with a small bandage on her forehead with a spot of blood on it and her arm is in a cast.
► Several teens drive to a deserted indoor swimming pool at night during a storm and plan to kill a demon by luring it into the pool and tossing electric appliances into the water; they plug in lamps, toasters, clocks, irons, an electric typewriter, and a hair drier and wait until a teen girl in the pool spots the entity dressed as her father as it throws unplugged devices at her and a typewriter hits her head, but she is OK; firing a handgun at the invisible target, a teen boy accidentally wounds a teen girl slightly, but also shoots the demon in the head and blood clouds the water as it drags a teen girl underwater, leaving red marks on her ankle and the teen boy shoots it in the head again; the girl escapes as the swimming pool and the screen fill with clouds of blood.
► After having sex in the back seat of a car, a man knocks a teen girl out with chloroform (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details), ties her to a wheelchair in an abandoned building at night and she yells loudly when she revives; the young man explains that he infected her with a demon that she can now see and that it will follow her in many shapes of people known and unknown to her and if it kills her, it will come after him next and he explains that she can get rid of it by sleeping with someone else.
► A loud pop sounds in a house at night and a teen boy runs to the kitchen; he returns to tell a teen girl that a window is broken and he goes upstairs when the girl sees a half-naked woman (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details), cries and screams and runs upstairs to lock herself in her room; she lets two friends in, but sees a 7-foot-tall man in the hallway, screams and climbs out her window, down to a friend's bike and speeds away to a neighborhood park. A woman sees an old woman wearing a long hospital gown walking slowly across grass toward her window seat and runs out of the room; in the hallway, the woman turns to see the old woman proceeding toward her along the hall and she runs out the door and drives away quickly. A demon in the shape of a teen girl at college moves slowly and deliberately toward a woman from across the quadrangle.
► A young man in a car stops at a teen girl's house, lifts her out of the back seat, lays her in the road and speeds away; we see her wrists tied together with rope and she wears only her underwear and she stumbles onto the grass, collapsing as the scene ends.
► A teen girl is shown wearing a long hospital gown on a gurney with her covered knees bent as a man wearing scrubs with his back to the camera holds a glass dish and a glass rod as the scene ends (a rape kit is suggested).
► On a movie date, a young man points to a girl behind him and his girlfriend cannot see her; he insists that they leave. Seated in restaurant window a young man and a young woman do not see a tall man wearing a black sweat suit walking slowly toward them from across the street. A teen boy and a teen girl walk down a sidewalk holding hands and we see behind them in the background a man wearing a dark jacket and jeans following them with his face hidden.
► Several teens drive to a lake house where one teen girl learns to fire a gun left in the boathouse; she shoots at cans and boxes and leaves a black hole in a cereal box. A pterodactyl and a short T-rex appear in a TV movie and spacemen shoot them with loud pistols.
► A teen girl lies in a hospital bed, looking unhurt as she reads a Dostoevsky quote: "The most terrible agony may not be in the wounds themselves but in knowing for certain that within an hour, then within 10 minutes, then within half a minute, now at this very instant -- your soul will leave your body and you will no longer be a person."
► A man with his back to the camera appears to be urinating against tall grass, but we see and hear none of it. A teen girl flatulates while watching TV. A teen girl sits on a closed toilet and cuts her toenails. A teen girl and her sister brush their teeth, but they do not spit. A man says that he felt sick in a movie theater, but feels better out in the air.
the review continues below...
- About 7 F-words, 6 scatological terms, 1 mild obscenity, name-calling (stupid), stereotypical references to men, women, teenagers, popular girls in high school, nerds, alcoholics, absent fathers, the superstitious, demons, exclamations (shut-up), 6 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Oh God, God, My God, Thank God).
the review continues below...
- A man and a woman in a vehicle smoke a marijuana cigarette together. A 21-year-old buys an 18-year old a Margarita in a restaurant and she sips it, a teen girl's mother ignores her two teen daughters and drinks a glass of wine in the kitchen as she speaks on the phone, a woman pours brandy in her coffee one morning as she visits with a neighbor, a woman's feet are seen from a doorway stretched out on her bed and we see an empty wine bottle on her dresser, a 21-one-year-old man and a teen girl sit on a beach and he has a six-pack of beer in his hand, and a man and a few underage teens drink beer from cans. An ashtray on a dresser contains several cigarette butts and a whole cigarette whose lit end has extinguished, a woman on an urban street corner smokes a cigarette, and a teen girl smokes a cigarette on the sidewalk outside her house.
the review continues below...
- Teen sex, shame, guilt, sexual infections/STDs, curses, demons, supernatural experiences, danger, fear, insecurity, friendship, relationships, love, family responsibilities, parenting.
- Teens must learn to use good judgment in their interactions with others.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
NEW THIS WEEK
NEW ON VIDEO
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.