Iron Monkey | 2001 | PG-13 | - 3.6.3
Period piece about a physician who doubles as the Iron Monkey during his off-hours. He becomes a Robin Hood-type superhero to the impoverished Chinese peasants who are taken advantage of by greedy merchants and government officials. With Yu Rong Guang, Donnie Yen, Tsang Sze-Man, Jean Wang and James Wong. In Cantonese with English subtitles. [1:29]
- A man and several women are in bed together, tumbling around and laughing; sex is implied, but nothing is shown. We hear that a man has nine wives. A man in a blindfold chases another man's nine wives around a room and they giggle and flirt with him. Three men kick down a door and begin touching and groping a woman. A man touches a woman's face suggestively and makes a remark that she would be a good addition to his brothel. There are several discussions of brothels and discussions of sexual activity in a clinical context. A man is shown in a bath being bathed by several women (he kisses them and moans a bit), he stands up and we see him nude to below the belly button but he quickly covers his private parts with his hands and then wraps himself in a sheet. A man is shown bare-chested while his wounds are being treated. A boy is shown in a bath (only his bare shoulders are visible). A monkey flashes his buttocks at a group of men and they remark about it. A martial-arts move is called "virgin bride" and "ugly virgin."
- A woman fights several men with swords, she throws a bowl which hits a man in the face, kicks and punches them repeatedly and slashes a man's throat; we only briefly see a red line across his neck. A woman is hit in the eye with something resembling a marble; the marble thing becomes embedded in her eye socket and blood streams down her face and drips onto her hand while she continues to fight. A red-hot brand is kicked across a room and it lands on a man's back; we see a burned bit of flesh. A woman slashes a man with a pair of scissors in a dream sequence. An army fires guns at a man who responds by throwing smoke bombs, spikes and marbles at them; the spikes get stuck in men's feet and we hear them yelling in pain and see some bloody feet. A boy is shown hanging by the arms from the ceiling as he is being thrashed (he has some bloody spots on his shirt). A man gets 30 lashes with a bamboo stick. A boy is nearly branded, and he is tossed in a dungeon prison where he becomes very ill (we see him sweating from a fever and he appears unconscious). A man fights large groups of adversaries in several scenes; the bad guys are usually armed with swords, arrows, knives, and spears and the hero usually only uses kicking, punching and other martial-arts techniques to eliminate them. A woman fights a man using a sword as a weapon, a chain is wrapped around the sword twisting it and the woman's hand is shown covered with blood. A woman is kicked and punched repeatedly by a group of men; she has blood coming out of her mouth and is falling unconscious when one man tears her shirt open. Three men fight while perched on poles over a fire, they each catch on fire and jump around to put out the flames; one falls into the fire and we see a pile of his clothing burning and hear him moaning. A man is shown wounded and he bleeds from the mouth; it is said that he was poisoned, acupuncture needles are poked into his back and blood oozes out. A woman is used as a shield during a fight and she ends up with several spikes embedded in her chest. Two men fight another man who has really long sleeves which act as weapons. A boy fights a group of men and a woman using a bamboo stick, kicks and punches; the woman sends him flying with a kick, hits him on the head and he passes out. A boy fights a large group of men using an umbrella, hot buns, and hot water to defend himself; men fly into tables and wooden carts splintering them. A boy is chased by a man; the man falls through a tarp and is hit in the face with a stone. A man fights a large group of men using an umbrella as a weapon; the men are tossed around flying into tables and other wooden props that splinter. A man fights four people using rapid-fire kicks and punches which send them flying through the air and splintering many wooden props (one man has a bloody nose). A group of soldiers fires arrows at a man who is running across rooftops; a bird is hit by many arrows and falls to the ground covered with blood. Two men fight on a rooftop; they fall and kick each other all the way to the ground. Two men fight on a rooftop with lots of kicking, punching, spinning and nearly falling off the roof. Cement blocks are thrown at a man during a fight and he falls to the ground. A man is hit in the chest by a flying object, and a man is thrown through a wall. Many people are rounded up and are knocked, shoved and threatened with swords held to their throats. A boy grabs onto his father's leg; his father tosses him across the room and hits him on the head. An unconscious woman in a bag is carried over a man's shoulder and tossed to the ground. There are discussions and threats of torturing a man. A man punches a man in the chest, a man slaps his son on the head in several scenes, a man shaves one eyebrow off a man during a fight, a boy shoots a stone from a sling shot and hits a man, a man slaps a man in frustration, and a man shows off some martial-arts moves and ends up hurting his shoulder. A group of soldiers climbs ladders to a roof, but the ladders are tipped over and they crash to the ground. A man grabs a large, burning medicinal "cigarette" and burns his hand. A man is trapped in a net, cuts his way out and leaps up crashing through the ceiling and landing on the roof. A wooden structure crumbles after planks are kicked and punched out. There are a couple of people who have large burn scars on their faces and one who has scars on his cheek. A woman has a dream of her baby having died during child birth. A man bites into a dead rat and yells in disgust.
- 2 scatological terms, 2 sexual references, 3 anatomical terms, 11 mild obscenities.
- Bribery, greed, refugees, brothels, monks, polygamy, the death of a father.
- Sometimes, during corrupt times, one has to take law and justice into one's hands.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.