Hot Tub Time Machine 2 | 2015 | R | - 8.6.10
In this sequel four buddies (Craig Robinson, Rob Corddry, Clark Duke and Adam Scott) try to unravel the damage done when they used a time machine to steal the works of famous people. When an unknown assassin shoots the friend who stole the position of "Father of the Internet," two of the other friends use the hot tub time machine to try to stop the gunman, with chaotic results. Also with Chevy Chase and Collette Wolfe. Directed by Steve Pink. [1:33]
- In a virtual reality TV game show, two men must have sex and while on stage they wear large black goggles and skin-tight wetsuit type outfits with a few sensors attached and on a screen one man stands in only skimpy briefs (baring his chest, and the bottom of his buttocks); he kneels in profile onto all fours and pulls his briefs down (we can see one full buttock) as the other man (wearing a long robe, hiding the other man's rear end) moves toward him saying it's just virtual reality and, "I'm sorry; I love you man" and the kneeling man says, "Put it in slow, really slow" and then hits a "lifeline" button and chooses a friend from the audience to take his place; the third man appears wearing a mid-thigh length robe (we see his lower thighs and knees above socks) and the camera cuts to the audience and we hear both men on stage shouting in dismay and the scene ends. A clothed man stands at a table while thrusting into a woman whose wedding dress is up around her knees as she sits on the table; the bride's husband-to-be sees the action, becomes upset, and leaves.
► A cartoonish painting shows a smiling nude man raping a screaming tiger lying on its back (no genitals are exposed). A woman wearing nothing but a skimpy sheer panty, revealing her abdomen and jiggling breasts walks in front of several men and kisses one man briefly as she passes him. A dozen women in a party room are shown wearing see-through, skimpy lingerie jackets, solid bras and matching skimpy panties (we see abdomens and cleavage); one woman leans slightly toward the only man in the room, on a couch and her cleavage bulges from her bra.
► Two weightlifters on a game show wear wrestling briefs; two men on stage receive electric shocks and scream, because they refuse to enact a virtual task (anal sex). A bare-chested man wearing short shorts sits in a chair and asks if he needs nipple rouge as a makeup man brushes powder on his hairy nipples. A few scenes feature a man wearing an open-front shirt or shirtless exposing his bare chest. A man wears a clingy white jumpsuit with the partially open front and a protective cup bulging in the groin area; a few close-ups of the groin area show an underwear type slit opening (no flesh shows), without the bulging cup. A photo shows a nude baby boy in a pool (his penis is visible). Several women wear low-cut dresses that reveal cleavage. In a music video, four women wear partially sequined bras and short shorts while dancing behind a male singer (they show thighs, midriffs and cleavage).
► Husbands and wives or fiancées kiss briefly in a few scenes. A virtual reality TV game show MC is shown eating a banana (oral sex innuendo presumably implied) during a virtual reality sex sequence.
► After a virtual reality TV game show sex sequence one of the men involved tells another of the men, "You put a [F-word deleted] Buick up my [anatomical term deleted]," and the other man replies, "Yep, I have a Buick [anatomical term deleted] but it was all virtual" while a third man says, "Yes, why can't we express our love for each other" and the scene ends. A man makes a sexual gesture by wiggling his tongue inserted through the hole of a plastic plate through which one can perform virtual oral sex on, apparently, anyone of one's choosing. A man says that he contracted Chlamydia from a batting cage, puts a cloth into the front of his trousers down to the groin and rubs. A man tells his son to go invent a game where he (son) can masturbate while playing a video game and the son tells his dad, "You already invented that game." A man asks a woman at a party to go on a tropical sex vacation and she turns him down. A bride says that her maid of honor is a slut that performed oral sex on half of Pittsburgh. In a kind of code for "love," a couple says, "I hate you" to each other. A woman asks a man, "What's that in your pocket?" and he says, "My [anatomical term deleted] and this" as he holds up a piece of plastic used for virtual oral sex and the scene ends. A man asks another man about a woman, "Did you [sexual term deleted] in her?" and the second man replies, "Yes. I [sexual term deleted] in you, too, virtually." A man sitting in a hot tub time machine while clothed in a suit says he had sex with Marilyn Monroe, but three male friends with him, also clothed, do not believe him.
the review continues below...
- A man stands in close-up in front of a hot tub as its water rises and creates a flashing, swirling column when we hear a gunshot and the man's head disappears, replaced by flying blood splattering his own neck and chest and the faces and chests of three men in front of him; his adult son turns and vomits a lot of yellow material onto the shoulder of a male friend as a hidden American Revolutionary minuteman carrying a musket steps out of the water column admitting that he shot the other man (a version of himself), because he was bad and takes the other three men into the water column to fight the American Revolution.
► A man holding a shotgun fires at another man on a staircase at a party and a shot hits him in the groin; the victim falls, covered in sticky blood from mid-thigh to waist, screaming about how much it hurts and how his penis is missing (we do not see that), then two other men drag him into a secret room and into a time traveling hot tub where they drink whiskey and snort cocaine (please see the Substance Use category for more details), the men swirl around in the tub and are shot into the air by a column of water, while lightning flashes through the water; the water calms and we see the wounded man lying face down in the water as the other two men sit him up and say that he is dead but the victim revives in a few seconds, shouting that his genitals are reattached.
► A man pulls an expired recreational drug sticker from another man's neck and in a few seconds the sticker man convulses and falls in the street, foaming liberally from the mouth; in an ER, he foams twice again and convulses until a doctor puts a funnel in his mouth and pours in a white liquid anti-narcotic, and then says she should have just given him Tylenol (please see the Substance Use category for more details) before he convulses again and is then OK; the drugs migrate to his testicles and we see a large bulge in his groin as the doctor inserts a large-gauge hypodermic needle, removes it and white liquid squirts into the faces and mouths of two men standing there; one man says it tastes like semen and the scene ends. A man bleeds profusely from the mouth when he licks cocaine. A man with a drug patch on his neck begins to hallucinate (please see the Substance Use category for more details) and points a handgun at another man but the gun disappears as the other man says the patch is full of psychotropic drugs and puts a headlock on the drugged man; we see ladybugs crawl out of the drug user's hands, become large and cartoonish and crawl over his head, a larger one swallows his head and the man screams as his drug trip ends.
► A man uses a blue chemical to activate a time machine and travels 10 years back in time; three other men follow him and they all end up at a party where the first man points a shotgun at his uncle and shouts that he will shoot him in the groin so he cannot [F-word deleted] anyone else's wife; the uncle grabs the barrel and puts it to his genitals, asking to be killed and the shooter says that he cannot do it, but the gun goes off and blasts a hole in a painting of the uncle at the groin and abdomen level and the uncle says, "I messed my pants" (we do not see this).
► In the year 2025 smart cars are sentient and permitted to kill and one of these smart cars stalks a man, revs its engine at him, nearly runs him over and the man punches its windshield, but does no harm it; the car's virtual display diagnoses the man with a low sperm count and in another scene the car decides to forgive the man and not kill him, after the man apologizes to it. Several smart cars receive a message "Kill with Honor" on their virtual displays, but they kill no one. An angry man swings a golf club at an older man, who disappears. A few time machine sequences show swirling water and men contained in a column of flashing lights and water. A man jokingly fires an invisible rifle at a colleague and says that his good ideas just shot the other man in the genitals.
► A man jumps from a high tree branch and another man catches him. A man talks his adult son off a rooftop, where he intended to jump, but the son falls and the man loses his grip on his son's hands; the son falls, but is stopped safely by a force field and his father jumps for fun and is also stopped.
► A man says about a third man, "I'm going to kill him before he can kill me" in a couple of scenes. A man's son tells a friend that his father was murdered last night (the father is standing right there via time travel technology). Two men say that if he were going to murder a particular male friend, he'd do so by poisoning the man's mid-morning drink and then dumping him into the sea to be eaten by a tiger shark. A man says that his father jumped from a roof, survived, but died of syphilis. A man with a bruised forehead and face says he punched another man in the face. We hear that all TV shows are about such enactments or about buildings crumbling and killing children and other disasters. A man tells friends never to defecate into a playground sandbox (as he once did) or they will be charged as pedophiles.
► We see a bloody pheasant (taxidermied) mounted on a wall beside a shotgun pointing at it. A man in a hot tub passes flatulence, we hear and see large bubbles below the surface and another man says that the dead lose bowel control at the point of death (the man is not dead).
the review continues below...
- About 145 F-words and its derivatives, 3 obscene hand gestures, 1 sexual gesture, 12 sexual references, 29 scatological terms, 29 anatomical terms, 10 mild obscenities, name-calling (insane, maniac, morons, idiot, dumb, nerds, weird, turtle, pedophile, stupid, toxic, virus, loser, monster, nose-blow, dancing clown, slut, pretty lady, Gerber, baby, Garbage Pail Kid, Liz, Gandalf the Poor), stereotypical references to men, women, bored married couples, the overly ambitious, gays, rock singers, pop singers, has-beens, bad fathers, drug addicts, party girls, playboys, disenfranchised youth, heroes, exclamations (shut-up), 5 religious profanities (GD), 22 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Oh God, I'm A God, God Forbid, I Swear To God, Geez, For Christ's Sake, Holy [scatological term deleted]).
the review continues below...
- Servers carry "party trays" of drinks that also hold short cups of various recreational-drug pills in three scenes, two men in a hot tub drink whiskey double-shots and snort cocaine then lick cocaine off lines on their wrists (one man bleeds profusely from the mouth when he licks cocaine), a woman lines up cocaine with a razor blade on a mirror on the bar top at a party (no one is shown using the drug), a man takes a cup of at least a dozen unknown pills from a party tray and swallows them with liquor (we see no effect), a man tosses a pill into a woman's mouth and we see no effect, a man enters a party and asks for everything (meaning all drugs) and the camera cuts to him falling over a table twice (he is unharmed) then gets up and seems to walk and talk fine, a woman slaps an Electric Ladybug onto a man's neck and he hallucinates as the room blurs and swirls around him and his pupils dilate to fill his entire irises as he begins to hallucinate (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details), and a man asks his wife to enter a 12-step program with him and she agrees. Several party scenes show men and women drinking cocktails as well as glasses of wines and bottles of beer while two bartenders juggle bottles as they mix cocktails, three men drink glasses of whiskey and at a café later they hold colorful cocktails but do not drink, and a woman looks at five bottles of whiskey on a cart in her room and drinks a large gulp from one bottle.
the review continues below...
- Second chances, making amends, time travel, greed, power, murder, friendship, relationships, love, disappointment, regret, resignation, forgiveness, starting over.
- Love and friendship are worth tremendous effort.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.