Fighting with My Family | 2019 | PG-13 | – 3.4.4
Why is “Fighting with My Family” rated PG-13? The MPAA rating has been assigned for “crude and sexual material, language throughout, some violence and drug content.” The Kids-In-Mind.com evaluation includes an out of marriage pregnancy, a lot of skimpy wrestling outfits and costumes for both men and women, a bar fight scene that leaves a man with a bruised face, many wrestling sequences in the ring, in practice sessions and in front of audiences, and strong language. Read our parents’ guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.”
Based on a true story about the family of a British man, a reformed gangster (Nick Frost) whose daughter (Florence Pugh) and son (Jack Lowden) make a living wrestling together in a local venue, while dreaming of finding true celebrity and success as WWE wrestlers. When the opportunity arrives, the siblings realize that their relationship may also be tested. Also with Lena Headey, Vince Vaughn and Dwayne Johnson. Directed by Stephen Merchant. [Running Time: 1:48]
Fighting with My Family SEX/NUDITY 3
– Many scenes show shirtless male wrestlers with some wearing tight fitting shorts/pants that resemble legless bike shorts (we see bare chests, abdomens, backs, legs to the hips and a few bulges at the crotch). Women wear tops that reveal deep cleavage and abdomens in many scenes throughout the movie. Three women wear bikinis and walk in a wrestling ring as they talk to the audience to cheers (we see cleavage, abdomens, buttocks, legs to the hips and backs). Three women wear bikinis around a swimming pool (cleavage, buttocks, backs, abdomens and legs to the hips are seen).
► A husband and his wife kiss passionately at a dinner table in front of guests.
► A young woman tells her boyfriend that she is pregnant and they have the baby; she screams during labor and we see the infant wrapped in a blanket.
► During a wrestling practice, a young woman practices with a teen boy and she asks him if he is aroused (using a slang term), and other people around the ring tease him and the coach makes him do 50 push-ups. A young man teases a teen boy for being, “turned on by my sister.” People tease a sight-impaired teen boy about “listening to porn.” People joke about a young man’s genitals falling out of his pair of wrestling shorts during a match when he was a boy. A man tells several people that after wrestling try-outs one of them will leave as a stripper. A woman says, “I am a firecracker and I’m gonna blow you … [pause] up.”
Fighting with My Family VIOLENCE/GORE 4
- A man drinks a beer in a pub, gets up from the bar and bumps another man spilling his beer; they argue briefly and fight with punches thrown and one man hits several others, who join the fight, with pool balls and a pool cue until another man pulls the first man away and they leave the pub (we see a bruise on his face later). A woman slaps a young woman hard in the face in a wrestling ring.
► A young man and a young woman wrestle in a ring and the young man slams her several times hard to the mat on her back and then does a pile driver (she is not hurt). A man hits another man with a garbage can lid (he moans and rubs his nose; no blood is shown), and then hits him in the groin with a bowling ball (he moans and doubles over). A young man in a ring is slammed on the mat and when he tries to get up his opponent picks him up and slams him on thumbtacks strewn on the mat (we see him pulling the tacks out later without blood shown). A woman kicks another woman while they practice in a ring (she complains of kicking her "in the ovaries"); the same woman elbows the other woman in the face twice and the other woman slaps her hard across the face.
► Two women wrestle in a ring in front of a large audience and they slam each other down on the mat several times before one straddles the other and punches her repeatedly (no injuries are shown). Two women wrestle in a ring, a man enters the ring and wrestles the two women with throws and flips and slamming onto the mat (no injuries). A girl and a boy wrestle in a ring in front of an audience; the boy throws the girl down, the girl clotheslines the boy and then kicks and punches him repeatedly until the match ends (there are no injuries).
► A boy and a girl wrestle over a remote control and their parents instruct them on the moves they should make to be effective (chokehold, etc.). Many scenes show wrestlers working out and training with loud pounding on mats after throws. A beach workout shows wrestlers negotiating an obstacle course type thing with running, crawling on their bellies, flipping a tractor tire, etc.
► A man yells at a young woman and tells her to apologize to another woman for slapping her in the face (she argues with him and then relents). A man yells at a young man and a young woman and calls them names to show them how to command attention. A young woman threatens another young woman with physical violence. A woman in a wrestling ring makes fun of another woman and threatens her in the ring in front of a large audience and they boo the second woman. A teen boy pushes another teen boy in a shopping cart toward a ramp and stops short before jumping over several boys lying on the ground in front of the ramp. A man says that if his business doesn't improve he's gonna have to "go back to thieving." A man talks about having done time for armed robbery. We hear that a man is in jail form getting drunk and fighting another man, who was left in a coma. A young woman talks about wanting to escape from the real world and belong to something. People practice their introductions for wrestling matches in front a coach who derides them. A man pounds on a steering wheel in frustration. A man describes a journeyman being someone that would jump off a tall tower to make his wrestling opponent look good; he then describes how he injured himself so badly that the doctors told him his career was over after making such a jump. A young woman confronts her parents about whether wrestling is her dream or theirs. A husband and his wife argue. A man says that he is "an emotional eater" and another man is "enabling" him as they stand at a buffet table. A man goads a young woman as if he is an audience member and she responds with insults.
► A young man puts a used jockstrap on a young woman's head/face and she yells and chases him. A reference is made to rectal bleeding. A sight impaired teen boy at a wrestling practice says he likes to sit on the sidelines because he "likes the smells." A man says that what a young woman just said made him "want to vomit" (he does not). A young woman has a panic attack and hyperventilates (she calms down and is fine).
Fighting with My Family LANGUAGE 4
- 1 obscene hand gesture, 9 sexual references, 12 scatological terms, 33 anatomical terms, 16 mild obscenities, name-calling (princess, lame, freak, Norwich freak, moron, mental, arrogant wankers, deaf wanker, poor bastard, boring, stupid, timid, journeyman, Harry Potter rejects, Make-A-Wish kids, mad, thickhead, fat [anatomical term deleted], screw up, sex tape, insane, rejects, lazy, wannabe, dead grandmother, bitter, inbred, alky ex-con, candy [anatomical term deleted], weird, weirdo, ), exclamations (la dee da, shut-up, effin and jeffin), religious profanities, 11 religious exclamations (e.g. I Swear To God, Thank God, Oh My God, Wishing To God, Jesus, Jesus Christ). | profanity glossary |
Fighting with My Family SUBSTANCE USE
- A teen boy sells drugs on the street and a young man chases him and takes drugs away from him and throws them in the garbage, and a woman makes reference to the sensation of doing coke and crack and heroin combined (she says she never did them together). A young man holds a can of beer while sitting on the sofa at home (we do not see him drink), several men are shown drinking beer in a pub, and a young man talks about his girlfriend's parents and refers to them as teetotaler. A man smokes a cigarette.
Fighting with My Family DISCUSSION TOPICS
- Family, professional wrestling, WWE, family business, alcoholism, homelessness, disappointment, leaving home, unplanned pregnancy, romance, suicide.
Fighting with My Family MESSAGE
- Without the support of family, success is hollow.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.