Dolemite Is My Name | 2019 | R | – 7.3.10
Based on events in the life of Rudy Ray Moore (Eddie Murphy), a man so determined to succeed as an all-around entertainer that he made his own movie as the character Dolemite, a profane kung-fu fighting hero. The amateurish movie became a 1970s box-office Blaxploitation marvel. Also with Keegan-Michael Key, Mike Epps, Craig Robinson, Tituss Burgess, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Snoop Dogg and Wesley Snipes. Directed by Craig Brewer. [Running Time: 1:58]
Dolemite Is My Name SEX/NUDITY 7
– People talk about a man filming a sex scene with a woman and we see them both drop their robes; both are wearing underwear and we see the man’s bare back, chest and abdomen and the woman’s bare breasts, abdomen and back, and they climb onto a bed where the woman straddles the man and begins thrusting and moaning as the bed shakes, paintings on the walls move and eventually the ceiling falls on top of them (it’s done while filming a movie).
► A fully nude woman (bare breasts, abdomen, pubic hair, buttocks, back and legs are seen) stands in a room, reclines on a chaise and a fully nude man (bare back, buttocks, legs and chest are seen) kneels behind the chaise looking at her, for a photo on a comedy album. A fully nude man runs through the scene of a movie and briefly and from a distance, we see his genitals, bare buttocks, abdomen, chest and legs. Album covers are shown several times that feature fully nude women and a fully nude man (bare breasts, abdomens, legs and buttocks are shown on the women and the man’s bare chest, abdomen and legs are seen).
► Men go to an exotic dance club and we see women dancing on stage topless (bare breasts, abdomens, back and partial buttocks are seen) in a few scenes; one dancer leans over, removes her top (her bare breasts are seen) and asks a man if he wants a dance (he declines). Women wearing skimpy outfits (cleavage, bare abdomens, legs and backs are seen) dance on stage and shimmy their hips. A woman wears a very short skirt that reveals her bare legs to the lower buttocks. Women in several clubs wear deeply cut dresses that reveal cleavage and a woman wears a very short skirt that reveals bare legs to the upper thighs. A woman wears a low-cut dress that reveals deep cleavage and she pulls it open to retrieve money from inside the dress and her bra. Women wear low-cut dresses and tops that reveal cleavage in many scenes throughout the movie. A painting of a nude woman hangs on a wall in the background of a scene (we see bare breasts, abdomen, and bare legs to the hips). A man lies in bed wearing a tank top and pajama bottoms.
► Several women kiss a man on the cheeks and snuggle around him for photos. A man and woman sit very close to each other in a restaurant booth and talk.
► A man says, “Nobody got naked.” A man makes a comment about wanting a “best boy.” The movie opens with Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” playing in the background. A man in a nightclub sings a song with suggestive lyrics. A man tells jokes about having sex with animals in a few scenes. There are a few references to pornographic movies. A man makes a suggestive remark to a woman in an audience. A woman tells a man that her significant other spends all his money on hussies instead of buying shoes for his young son.
Dolemite Is My Name VIOLENCE/GORE 3
– A woman confronts a man in a club for being with another woman; the man slaps the woman in the face and she punches him (he stumbles back to his knees). A man grabs a woman around the throat and jokingly holds a butter knife as if he is going to cut her while asking her for money. While filming a movie scene two men stage a fight with one punching the other in the abdomen, and then ripping out his intestines (we see obviously fake bloody intestines coming out of his abdomen as he lies on the floor motionless) and another man shoots the motionless man. While filming a movie a scene is staged with a man shooting another man and we see bloody holes open in his shirt as he falls back onto the ground.
► Many women practice martial arts moves on a movie set. In staged scenes on a movie set women fight with several men with punches, kicks and tackles (no injuries shown) and two men fight and one man breaks a bottle over the other man’s head (no injuries are shown). During the filming of a movie a man is confronted by 2 actors playing FBI agents that find bags of cocaine in his trunk and they fight with punches and kicks and one man is thrown into the car trunk (no injuries are seen).
► A man shoots a car on a movie set and it explodes in flames. While filming a movie scene we see two cars speeding along curving roads, and one car splashes through a mud puddle spraying the camera people on the side of the road. A man is shown with a very badly scarred face and missing teeth.
► A man talks about doing “the chittlin circuit.” A man says that another man smells like urine. A man yells at another man. Men seem act threateningly when a man asks them to loan him more money.
Dolemite Is My Name LANGUAGE 10
– About 169 F-words and its derivatives, 22 sexual references, 92 scatological terms, 66 anatomical terms, 38 mild obscenities, 21 derogatory terms for African-Americans, 6 derogatory terms for Caucasians, name-calling (rat soup eating, hobo, fool, bad, ugly, bums, freak, whore, stingy, naughty, hillbillies, fickle mistress, insane, sexy, mangy, insecure, rapist, dope heads, junkies, baby, devil, tough, dull, lamest, fat man, dreadful, humorless, course, rude, crude, vulgar, sex machine, saphead, pimp, hussies, dumb, freak, pretend superhero, slave, racist), 13 religious profanities (GD), 12 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Lord, Father, God, Sweet Jesus, Jesus, Oooo Lord, Holy [scatological term deleted]). | profanity glossary |
Dolemite Is My Name SUBSTANCE USE
– A man says to “light up a joint” in several scenes, a woman in a play grieves over her dead child and says that the “needle” took him, while filming a movie two men find two bags of cocaine in the trunk of a car, and a reference is made to cocaine. Several men drink while seated around a barrel fire and we see a bottle being passed between them, people drink in a restaurant, a man on sidewalk drinks from a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, a man drinks from a flask in several scenes, and a man and woman drink at a bar. Men and women drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes in several nightclub scenes, people smoke and drink at a recording session, and a man smokes cigarettes in several scenes throughout the movie.
Dolemite Is My Name DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Dreams, aspirations, racism, giving up, missing your chance, failure, Richard Nixon, Bill Cosby, standup comedy, humor, violent crime, independent movie making, movie promotion, Blaxploitation movies.
Dolemite Is My Name MESSAGE
– Live the life that you love and believe in yourself.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.