Django Unchained | 2012 | R | - 6.9.7
In the mid-19th century a slave (Jamie Foxx) is freed by a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) and pursues the men that scarred his wife (Kerry Washington) and sold her to a plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio). Also with Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Dennis Christopher, James Remar and Quentin Tarantino. Directed by Quentin Tarantino. [2:45]
- A man hanging upside down by the feet is nude and we see his genitals, the side of his bare buttock and bare chest and legs (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A man is shown fully nude and his genitals are visible (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A woman is removed from a "hot box" (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details) where she has been kept as punishment and we see that she is nude (her nude side from shoulders to feet is seen when she is in the fetal position in the box and when she is pulled out we see a glimpse of her bare breasts). A man bathes in a body of water (we see his bare chest, shoulders and back) and he imagines that his wife is there with him (we see her bare shoulders and upper chest). A man imagines that he sees his wife wearing a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage. A woman is shown wearing a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage in several scenes. Male slaves are shown with no shirts. We see a woman's bare back when she is tied to a tree and is about to be whipped by a man (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A woman wears a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage, bare shoulders and back in a few scenes. We see a statue of two men wrestling and their bare buttocks are visible. A man is shown in a bathtub and his bare chest is shown). A man unfastens a woman's dress in front of dinner guests to show them the scars on her back from being whipped (we see her bare back).
► A husband and his wife kiss. A husband and his wife kiss and hug. A brother and his sister kiss on the lips in greeting.
► A woman is taken to a man's room and left with him (it is implied that she is expected to have sex with him, but she does not).
► A man talks about a woman "pleasuring all those Mandingos." After a fight a man tells another man to get the winner "a pony to lick his pole" (presumably a prostitute to have sex with him).
the review continues below...
- A man shoots a man (blood sprays), then shoots a horse in the head (blood sprays) and when it falls dead it pins its rider under it; the rider screams that his leg is broken, another man steps on the horse and the man under it screams again, and four men pick up large sticks, walk toward the pinned man and one of them with a gun shoots him (we see a huge gush of blood). A man shoots a man standing in the street in the stomach, he falls back screaming and the shooter then shoots him in the head (we see blood spray on the victim and on the shooter's hand and blood on the ground). A man shoots another man in the chest and blood dribbles from the wound as he falls dead; another man tries to get his gun when the shooter whips the man repeatedly while he cowers on the ground and the shooter then empties his gun into the man on the ground and another man trying to escape on horseback is then shot through the back and out the chest and blood sprays on cotton in the field around him. A man shoots another man in the chest and he falls back dead (blood seeps through a flower that he is wearing on his lapel), another man shoots the shooter, several other men are shot and we see blood splattering, spraying and gushing (victims are shown falling down stairs and out windows); the top of a man's head is shot off (blood sprays), a man is shot in the face, a man holds a wounded man in front of him as a shield and he is shot repeatedly, and a man holds a gun to the head of a woman and the shooting stops (we see many dead bodies soaked with blood). Two men shoot several other men on horseback; we see lots of blood spraying as they fall off their horses and onto the snowy ground, and we then see the bodies lashed to the backs of horses. A man shoots another man riding away on horseback; the man falls to the ground and we see blood spray from the wound onto his white horse. A man shoots another man from a distance, blood sprays out of his chest and his young son runs to his side calling his name. A man shoots several people and one is shot in the genitals (we see blood splatter; please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details.). A man shoots several other men and one is shot in the crotch (he screams), and then in the head; the man also shoots a woman who is thrown back through a doorway. A man is shot in the knee (he yells and stumbles and we see blood), then in the other knee and he is left to die in an explosion (we hear the man screaming as the explosives detonate).
► Three dogs attack a man on the ground and tear him apart: we hear crunching and tearing as the man screams and we see the dogs pulling at him (we see blood spray and we see bloody tissue and flesh); we see a flashback to this scene later.
► A man presses a hot branding iron onto a woman's face; we hear a sizzle of burning flesh and she screams. A man prepares to whip a woman, she screams and her husband tries to save her; we see the woman being whipped and she screams and quakes with each blow. A man is hung upside down by the feet while wearing a mask on his face and head and his hands are tied behind him (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details); another man kicks him in the face and head to wake him up and presses a heated knife to his genitals.
► Two men fight in a room where several men and a woman watch; one of the fighters punches the other in the face repeatedly (we hear heavy blows land), one grabs the other's mouth, one slams the other's head on the ground, one man's arm is broken, the eyes of one of the fighter's are pushed in (the man screams) and one man is struck in the head with a hammer and killed (there is a lot of blood shown throughout the fight and the winner is shown with blood splatter on his body and what looks like torn and bitten flesh on his shoulder).
► A carriage explodes and several men and their horses are thrown; other men run away yelling. Many men with torches and on horseback charge toward a carriage in an open area and one man calls out to whip one of the men inside the carriage. A man throws dynamite into a cage where a few men are held; another man shoots two men and blows up a third with dynamite (we see blood splatter and blood on the bodies).
► A man says that a woman is in a "hot box" for punishment; we see the lid removed from the box and we see the woman inside in the fetal position (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details). We see a man with a mask over his face and a metal ring around his neck as another man is told to scar his (and his wife's) face. Several male slaves with lash scars on their backs are chained together and walk behind a man on horseback. Many slaves (men and women) with masks and neck rings (some of the rings have long spikes protruding from them) are marched through a muddy town. Three men are shown in a cage and another is tied to the back of the cage while being pulled behind it.
► Dogs bark and jump against a tree where a man is hiding and he pleads with another man not to make him fight anymore. A man shoves a woman into a chair and she screams, another man grabs her head and squeezes her face, and the man smears blood from his hand on her face and then shoves her head hard onto a table and holds a hammer over her head.
► Shackles are removed from a man's ankles and we see his skin torn and bloody. A man is shown lying dead in a barn (no blood is visible). A man is shown with a scar on his face.
► Several armed men take aim at two men standing outside a saloon (there is no gunfire). A man with a shotgun barges into a dining room and threatens two other men. Two men threaten each other; one man says, "I'm gonna go walking in the moonlight" and the other man replies, "You wanna hold my hand?"
► A man with a gun threatens another man and says, "State your business or prepare to get wane." A man tells another man, "You will be hang by the neck until you are dead." An innkeeper runs out and calls for help. Two men (a plantation owner and his head servant) argue over a freed slave staying in the main house of a plantation. A man says, "I would have cut his throat." A man talks about different ways to kill a man, including whipping him to death. A man talks about selling a man to a mining company where they "cut out your tongue and hit you in the head with a hammer, then throw you down the [derogatory term for African-American deleted] hole."
► A man takes target practice at a snowman. A man talks about a German legend of a woman named Brunhilda who was held captive on a mountain that was guarded by a fire-breathing dragon.
► A man places the skull of a human on a table and describes the brain that was in the skull; the man saws the back of the skull off as he continues talking (he cuts himself and his hand bleeds) and then threatens to bash another man's head in with a hammer. A man spits and we see goo and drool down his shirt. A man spits on the ground. A man's teeth are blackened.
► A woman faints at the sight of her husband.
the review continues below...
- About 28 F-words and its derivatives, 16 scatological terms, 27 anatomical terms, 42 mild obscenities, 98 derogatory term for African-Americans, name-calling (poor devils, fancy pants, peckerwood, cheeky, ungrateful, white boy, rambunctious, house boy, snowball, decrepit, little trouble maker, big trouble maker, silver tongued, Frenchy, bad loser, abysmal loser), a man is referred to as a "black slaver," 27 religious profanities, 5 religious exclamations.
the review continues below...
- Two men drink beer in a saloon, men drink alcohol and smoke while watching two men fight, a woman drinks champagne, a man drinks a beer, people drink wine at a dinner, people toast with wine, a man drinks brandy, and a man orders a drink and it arrives in a coconut shell. A man holds a pipe, several men are shown smoking at a dinner, a man smokes a pipe, a man smokes at a dinner, and a man smokes a cigar in a few scenes.
the review continues below...
- Slavery, racism, slave dealers, guilt, freedom, love, bounty hunting, Mandingo fighting.
- Love can win out against insurmountable odds.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.