Bull | 2019 | NR | – 6.3.8
A teenage girl (Amber Havard) finds herself struggling to make her way when her mother goes to prison and she is left to care for her younger sister and her ailing grandmother. When she gets into trouble with a neighbor (Rob Morgan), they develop an unexpected bond over rodeo bull riding. Also with Yolonda Ross, Troy Anthony Hogan and Keira Bennett. Directed by Annie Silverstein. [Running Time: 1:45]
Bull SEX/NUDITY 6
– A man and woman kiss and we see her remove her top (we see her wearing a bra and pants and cleavage, her back and abdomen are shown); the man wearing boxers (we see his bare chest, abdomen and legs) pushes the woman back on a bed and removes her pants (we see her bare legs), and they have sex with the man thrusting on top of her as they kiss; the woman then thrusts while straddling the man (we see her bare breasts). A teen boy puts a teen girl’s hand in his pants and we see movement as she rubs his genitals (we do not see flesh).
► A man makes a joke about another man’s wife being unfaithful. A teen boy and a teen girl shove each other flirtatiously. A man tells a teen girl that she can make money by performing oral sex on men at a rodeo and she refuses. A woman talks about working out to get a “beach body.”
► A woman’s bare breasts are seen when she dresses. A man wearing boxers fills a tub with water and ice (we see his bare chest, back, abdomen and legs). A teen girl wears a bikini that reveals cleavage, bare abdomen, back and partial buttocks. A woman lifts her top to reveal her bare abdomen for an insulin injection. A man wears a tank T-shirt that reveals bare shoulders in a few scenes. Three teen boys are shown wearing only their boxer briefs (their bare chests, abdomens and legs are shown). A man is shown shirtless in a hotel room (we see his bare abdomen and chest)
Bull VIOLENCE/GORE 3
– Several rodeo scenes show men and teen boys being thrown off bucking bulls and a few scenes show the riders being chased and thrown in the air by the bull; other men try to distract the bulls and they are struck and thrown a few times also (one man jumps over a fence to avoid being struck by a bull and a man is carried out of the arena after a throw). Riders are shown mounting bulls in chutes and a couple of bulls buck violently and nearly jump out of the chute. A teen girl is bucked off a bull and she scrambles to a guardrail to safety (we see her with a bruise on her shoulder later). A rider is thrown off the back of a bull and the bull steps on him (we hear later that the rider is in the hospital).
► A man yells at a teen girl and grabs her by the shoulders. A man charges toward another man after he makes jokes about his wife (they are both pulled away by other men). A man comes home to find his home ransacked and empty liquor bottles and beer cans strewn around; he sees someone running away and chases her, grabs her and calls the police (we see a teen girl in the back of a police cruiser later).
► Three teen boys wearing only their boxer briefs lie on a floor, a teen girl pours feed and puts three chickens on them and the chickens peck at them; the boys yell and try to get away and we see the chickens clinging to them and then on a teen girl’s back as other teens throw food from a fridge at the chickens. A teen girl kicks over a flowerpot and finds a key that she uses to enter a man’s house; several other teens come over and they drink, smoke, take the man’s medication and ransack the house. Teen boys and a teen girl practice bull riding using a barrel tide to bungies and ropes and they are thrown to the ground a few times (no injuries are seen).
► A teen girl rushes to a chicken coup to find several chickens dead after they ate drugs that she accidentally dropped; a man finds her and yells for her to get out and we see the man piling the dead birds in a bucket. A dog is shown chewing on a dead chicken (we see blood and flies buzzing around it); a teen girl pulls the dog away and picks the chicken up with a plastic bag to throw it away.
► A teen girl in a police cruiser is let go when a man decides not to press charges and she asks the officer, “Can’t you just take me to juvie?” A woman is shown in jail and then in prison and her daughters and her mother visit her a couple of times. A man imagines seeing a bull in his yard and it lies down in front of him.
► A man tells a teen girl, “I’ll hurt you if you don’t get my money.” A man orders a teen girl around telling her to clean up his house and help him with other chores to make amends for breaking into his house. A man yells at a teen girl about her dog having killed one of his chickens and he threatens to shoot the dog if it happens again. A woman says that a teenage girl has been getting in fights in school. A woman complains about being awakened by a barking dog. A woman tells her teen daughter that sometimes you need to show people that you are crazy to make them leave you alone. A woman tells her adult daughter, “Don’t screw it up.” A doctor examines a man and asks if he blacked out when he was struck by a bull or if he is passing blood”; we see a bloody wound on his side. A man tells another man that he was fired from a job at the rodeo. A man tells another man, “You oughta be ashamed.” A teen girl says that she wants to ride bulls and a man scoffs at her. A man talks about having been thrown off a bull and dragged through the arena and that he suffered a collapsed lung, shattered knee and broken rib. A woman tells a man, “You’re trying to end up just like your father.” A woman says that he wants her around just to “Answer the phone when you’re in the hospital.” A teacher tells a teen girl, “I just don’t care anymore.” A man talks about a teen girl’s mother being “pretty wild.” A woman cries in a bedroom and we understand that her adult daughter has been sent to prison; we hear that she punched a guard when trying to hit another inmate. A teen girl cries and tells her mother (in prison), “It seems like you don’t want to be with me.” A teen boy talks about having punched someone and that two other boys were fighting. A young girl cries when she fears that her sister has left her at a roller rink. An announcer makes a joke about a rider getting “a free enema” after having been bucked by a bull and thrown in the air.
► Two teen boys wrestle in a house and knock over furniture. Two teen boys wrestle in water. A woman sprays a young girl with a hose after she has been swimming in “dirty river water.” A teen girl rides in the open back of a pickup truck.
► A man urinates and we see a bloody stream splashing into the toilet. A man is shown limping and wincing in pain in several scenes. A man tapes up his legs in several scenes before rodeos. A man lies in bed moaning and gets up slowly using a crutch to walk after having been struck and thrown by a bull at a rodeo (we do not see injuries). A man is shown with a scar on his arm. A teen girl injects a man in the arm with a syringe of morphine.
Bull LANGUAGE 8
– About 35 F-words and its derivatives, 2 obscene hand gestures, 21 scatological terms, 19 anatomical terms, 14 mild obscenities, 2 derogatory terms for African-Americans, name-calling (snow bunny, stupid, bastard, crazy, chick, racist, clown, nasty, paranoid, weird, frog-eyed, fat, twisted, dumb, stubborn, flea, innocent), exclamations (frickin, shut-up, dang, get out), 5 religious profanities (GD), 4 religious exclamations (e.g. Jesus, God Dang, Oh God, a few prayers before rodeos). | profanity glossary |
Bull SUBSTANCE USE
– A teen girl sells drugs to men at a rodeo, a teen girl injects a woman in the abdomen with insulin (we see the needle pierce her skin), a teen boy takes a parcel from a man in a car and puts it in his pocket (we assume that it contains drugs of some kind), a man talks about “partying and drinking” with a teen girl’s mother when they were younger, a man convinces a teen girl to sell drugs for him to make money, a man tells another man that he doesn’t have anything but “injectable” (morphine) and we see him injected with it later, and a man takes pain medication in several scenes before rodeos. A teen boy talks about someone drinking all his beer, men are shown drinking beers in several scenes, a man drinks alcohol during a rodeo and after injecting morphine for pain, a teen girl mixes a man a drink to help with a hangover (eggs, liquor, ketchup and hot sauce) and he drinks it, and teen boys and teen girls are shown drinking and smoking cigarettes in several scenes. A man smokes cigarettes in several scenes in his house and his truck and outside.
Bull DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Fear of abandonment, rodeos, aging, breaking and entering, robbery, jail, lying, racism, juvenile detention, finding your own way.
– Finding your own way and making the right life choices can be difficult without any guidance.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.