Assassination Nation | 2018 | R | – 8.8.10
Why is “Assassination Nation” rated R? The MPAA rating has been assigned for “disturbing bloody violence, strong sexual material including menace, pervasive language, and for drug and alcohol use — all involving teens.” The Kids-In-Mind.com evaluation includes a few scenes of sex, especially oral sex, photos of mainly partial male and female nudity and sexual innuendo, some very bloody and gory scenes of violence, some drug use and underage drinking, and over 100 F-words. Read our parents’ guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.”
Four young women end up being the targets of public hatred after a small town is terrorized by a computer hacker that exposes the infidelities and transgressions of its denizens. With Odessa Young, Hari Nef, Suki Waterhouse, Abra, Colman Domingo, Bill Skarsgård, Joel McHale and Anika Noni Rose. Directed by Sam Levinson. [Running Time: 1:50]
Assassination Nation SEX/NUDITY 8
– A young man and a young woman lie on a bed and kiss, he kisses down her chest and performs oral sex on her (off-screen); he then opens a condom package and applies the condom (we do not see the application) and they have sex (the young woman moans as he thrusts) and afterward the young man leaves the room and the young woman cries. A young man and a young woman argue, they kiss and she lies back on a bed as the young man moves between her legs and performs oral sex on her (we see his head between her legs) and she writhes as a man watches them from a neighboring house.
► A man carries a young woman upstairs in his house, she sits on a bed and he touches her bare thigh, spreads her legs and lies on top of her while holding a knife to her face and tracing her bare thigh with it (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details).
► A principal reprimands a young woman for the drawings in a sketchbook as being pornographic and we see a nude woman with bare breasts and her fingers at her genitals (the fingers partially cover the pubic area). Young women wear T-shirts that expose their nipples through the fabric in several scenes. Many photos of young women wearing bras and underwear are shown throughout the movie (cleavage, bare abdomens and legs are shown); a young woman lifts her shirt and reveals her bra while taking a photo of herself. Four young women are shown wearing swimsuits in a swimming pool (cleavage, abdomens and legs are shown). A young woman wears short-shorts that reveal full legs and part of her lower buttocks. Several shirtless young men are shown in a locker room scene and we see bare chests, abdomens and backs. Three young women wear short-shorts. Many photos of a man wearing women’s lingerie (we see him wearing a G-string that exposes his bare buttocks in a couple photos) are shown in a few scenes after his computer is hacked; the townspeople see the photos and become enraged.
► A young woman wearing a cheerleader outfit dances seductively with thrusting and gyrating hips. Young men and young women dance and hold each other at parties. A young woman dances and a young man holds her from behind and rubs her abdomen. Two young women dance with sexual gestures while a young man watches them. Young women dance and gyrate in front of a mirror and while taking pictures of themselves on their phones.
► A young woman lies on a bed and a young man videos putting two of his fingers in her mouth while telling her that she could be a porn star. A woman rubs a man’s foot as he lies back on a sofa. A young man and a young woman kiss.
► A young woman receives texts from a texter with the name “Daddy” and they tend to be sexual in nature. A young woman describes being told what to do and how to do it all her life (smile, behave, etc.) and many of the things are sexually related and demeaning.
► A young man and a young woman argue about oral sex. Four young women talk about the boyfriend of one of them and whether he has performed oral sex on her. Young men and young woman talk about learning how to have sex by watching pornography. Young women talk about the pornographic material their school principal would watch. A young woman describes a young man putting his fingers down her throat and that, “It’s not as sexy as it sounds.” Four young women talk about a young man “sexting” one of them. A man is accused of having nude photos of his young daughter and having searched for teen porn videos. A young woman argues with her parents at a dinner table and says, “Nudity is not inherently sexual.” A young woman talks about a man driving her home from babysitting and that he once touched her thigh (there is an implication of a sexual relationship).
the review continues below...
Assassination Nation VIOLENCE/GORE 8
- Armed men break into a house and a woman inside shoots two of the men (blood sprays), and the woman is shot in the abdomen (we see blood on the wound) and then in the head (we see blood spray and she falls to the floor). A young woman fights a man who has a nail gun; they fall in a pool, she shoots him several times with the nail gun (we hear popping) and the water fills with blood. An official enters a room filled with jeering people, he pulls out a handgun and shoots himself in the mouth (we see blood and matter spray and hear people screaming). A young woman armed with many guns stands in a road and a police car stops, the officer gets out and draws his gun and the young woman shoots him and he falls (blood splatters on the windshield of the car and we see the bloody abdominal wound). Four young women open fire on several young men hiding behind a truck; a few of the young men run out shooting and they are shot dead while two remain behind the truck where one is shot through the back (blood sprays) and the other surrenders. A young woman with a noose on her neck and her hands tied stands on the back of a pickup truck as the driver revs the engine; the driver is shot (blood splatters on the window) and the truck pulls away leaving the young woman hanging from a light pole until the young man holding the rope is slashed by a young woman with a sword and the young woman falls to the ground.
► A man breaks a door in and attacks a young woman, they slip on a bloody floor and fall down where she slices his neck with a razor blade and blood pours on her face and in her mouth until the man collapses and falls dead on the floor (there's a lot of blood). A young woman drags a baseball bat through a school hallway, approaches another young woman from behind and hits her in the head with the bat (we hear a loud thunk and the young woman falls to the floor motionless).
► A man videos a young woman walking on a sidewalk and calls out to her telling her, "Your life is over," he then pulls out a knife and chases her (implying he is going to rape her) and she hits him in the face with a shovel (we see him on the ground spitting blood). A woman beats up another woman in a parking lot after finding out that she was having an affair with her husband; she pours milk on her head while she is on the ground and other people gather around and film the act. A young woman pinned under a man on a bed bites his tongue when they kiss and he yells in pain; she runs away to the bathroom, locks herself in and slips on a lot of blood on the floor, and falls into the tub where there is a bloody dead body and screams. A young woman is shown kneeling over another young woman lying motionless on the floor with blood on her face and pooled on the floor (presumably after a beating). Several men grab a young man and we see him in a bathtub where he is questioned and tortured by being waterboarded; we later hear him yelling and hear a squishing sound off-camera (it's not clear what they have done to him). A man with a gun grabs a young woman and slams her head into a window pane (its cracks); he holds her with his hand over her mouth and we later see her tied by the wrists to a curtain rod. A man with a gun attacks a young woman and puts the gun in her mouth. A young woman with bloody hands is shown handcuffed and escorted out of a school by two police officers.
► Several young women speed in a pickup truck with large American flags waving; they tie a young woman to the back of the truck bed, and a young man holds a gun to her forehead and orders another young man to put a noose around her neck as they prepare to hang her from a light pole. A police officer drags a young woman out to an angry mob and they shoot guns in the air and yell as he declares her guilt. A young woman is held on the floor by two young men while another young man questions her; she is rolled over and her shirt is pulled up to reveal her bare back and the one young man takes photos of her, and spits and slaps her on the head. A young man hits another young man in the head and he falls off the bed of a truck (we don't see injuries).
► A woman asks her teenage daughter if she is in the photos she has seen on a man's computer and when she admits it the woman drags her daughter out of her room and pushes her out of the house slamming the door on her; the young woman outside pounds on the door and pleads with her parents. A man with a baseball bat breaks the glass of a man's front door. A man takes the stage where many people in the room jeer and one person spits on him.
► Several people's computers are hacked and the content broadcast on social media exposing sexual secrets that embarrasses the owners. We hear that a woman left her husband and took their daughter with her after the man's computer was hacked and details of an inappropriate relationship with a young woman were revealed. People wearing masks and holding sticks and weapons chant and yell in a few scenes. A young woman arms herself with many guns that she finds in a man's house.
► A young man wearing a hoodie and a mask turns and yells at a young woman and she screams (he's kidding). A young man and a young woman argue and he shoves her as she walks away from him. A teen boy talks about a family on a safari in Africa being mauled by 7 tigers. A young woman talks about wanting to make a rape revenge film. A person is shown in handcuffs and is asked, "Why would you do this?" (hack computers) to which the accused replies, "I don't know. For the LOLs." A reference is made to people wanting to kill 4 teenage girls. Police question a young man about hacking computers. People chant at a man onstage, "Lock him up."
► Many photos of a man wearing women's lingerie are shown in a few scenes after his computer is hacked; the townspeople see the photos and become enraged. A young woman takes a photo of herself with her fingers in the shape of a gun barrel in her mouth and a text that reads, "You wanna pull the trigger Daddy?" A young girl runs toward a young woman parked in the street and the young girl's parents are afraid that she will run into the street (she does not).
the review continues below...
Assassination Nation LANGUAGE 10
- About 139 F-words and its derivatives, 17 sexual references, 17 scatological terms, 16 anatomical terms, 18 mild obscenities, 4 derogatory terms for homosexuals, name-calling (hyperbolic, rapist on the couch, skanky, rapey, idiot, salty, prudes, monster, ridiculous, feminist, nerd, old fashioned, hypocrite, bigot, dumb, sick, sociopathic, immoral, homewrecker, weird, inconsequential, nasty, delinquent slut, old man, disturbing, stupid, child molester, sad), 2 religious profanities (GD), 8 religious exclamations (e.g. God, Holy [scatological term deleted], Oh My God, Jesus, Jesus [F-word deleted] Christ, Thank God). | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
Assassination Nation SUBSTANCE USE
- A young man smokes a marijuana cigarette and shares with a young woman who also smokes, a woman asks her teenage daughter if she wants a Xanax (she declines), and young men and young women smoke marijuana cigarettes. Several party scenes are shown where underage attendees drink alcohol and smoke marijuana cigarettes, and a man and a woman at a dinner table are shown with glasses of wine (they do not drink). A young man smokes a cigarette.
the review continues below...
Assassination Nation DISCUSSION TOPICS
- Social media, small towns, trigger warnings, privacy, scandal, lies, confidence, computer hacking, Anonymous, empathy, sympathy, humiliation, mistakes, regret, hate, cyber-terrorism, hypocrisy, righteousness, gender roles, public officials.
Assassination Nation MESSAGE
- Privacy is an illusion, or at least no longer viable.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.