You Only Live Twice | 1967 | PG | – 4.5.2
When both American and Soviet manned space capsules keep being hijacked while in space, each superpower suspects the other and a new world war is imminent. The British secret services suspect SPECTRE, probably working for another country, and send James Bond (Sean Connery) to Japan to find out who’s behind the scheme. Also with Akiko Wakabayashi, Mie Hama, Tetsurô Tanba, Teru Shimada, Karin Dor, Donald Pleasence, Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Desmond Llewelyn, Charles Gray and Tsai Chin. Directed by Lewis Gilbert. A few lines of dialogue are spoken in Japanese and Russian without translation. [Running Time: 1:57]
You Only Live Twice SEX/NUDITY 4
– A woman massages a man and speaks into his ear, he turns toward her and they kiss, he lifts her up and she says, “I’m going to enjoy serving under you,” as he carries her out of the room (sex is implied). A man and a woman kiss in bed (it is implied that they have had sex); we see the man’s bare chest and abdomen and the woman’s bare shoulders before she puts on a robe that reveals her bare legs to the upper thighs. A woman wearing a low-cut dress (we see cleavage and her bare back), presses her face to a man’s cheek and neck while he is tied into a chair and she releases him, they kiss and he cuts the straps of her dress as the scene ends (sex is implied). A man and woman kiss and lie on a bed (sex is implied). A man and woman swim away from an exploding volcano and a plane drops a raft for them to use; they climb in and are lifted out of the water on the top of a submarine as they kiss and the scene ends. A man kisses a woman and asks why women of her nationality taste different.
► A man is made up to look Japanese and is told that he must marry a Japanese woman to be able to fit in; the man asks, “Is she pretty, ” and he is told, “She has the face of a pig.” A woman asks a man how “the girl” was. A woman tells a man that a password is “I love you” and asks him to repeat it to her in a flirtatious manner. A reference is made to a woman having a “healthy chest” as she stands up. A woman says of a man, “He would never touch that horrible girl.” A man is served a plate of oysters and when a woman tells him that she will not sleep with him, he pushes the plate away and says, “I won’t be needing these.” A man offers a woman to another man for a massage and describes her as being “sexiful.”
► Several women wear 2-piece outfits that reveal cleavage, bare abdomens and backs and legs to the hips while bathing and massaging two men (the men’s bare chests, abdomen and backs are seen and the two men discuss the hair on the chest and body of one of them). Opening credits are accompanied by the silhouettes of nude women and we see the outlines of their buttocks, breasts and nipples (in profile), legs and hips. A woman’s dress reveals cleavage. Sumo wrestlers are shown wearing their traditional garb as they prepare for a match (we see their bare chests, abdomens, backs, legs and partial buttocks). Several women are shown wearing 2-piece swimsuits that reveal cleavage, bare abdomens and legs and a few of the women wear long T-shirts over them. A woman stands at the side of a pool where a man soaks and she spreads her legs apart while holding a towel for him (we see her bare legs to the hips).
You Only Live Twice VIOLENCE/GORE 5
– A man enters a room where another man has been closed into a Murphy bed; the first man shoots the bed and when it is opened, we see the man in the bed lying motionless and with blood on the sheets under him (implying that he is dead). A woman falls from a ramp into piranha infested water and she screams as water bubbles around her and she disappears under the surface (presumably eaten by the fish). A man is pushed into water with piranhas in it (we understand that he dies). A man and a woman lie in bed sleeping and another man on the roof drips poison on a string and it drips onto the woman’s lips, she licks her lips, gasps and dies; the man awakens and shoots the man on the roof and he falls to the floor dead (no blood is shown).
► A man enters another man’s living quarters and draws a gun on him, they speak briefly, the man pounds the other man on the leg with a cane (to ensure that it is not a real leg) and they continue to talk until one man is stabbed in the back through a wall divider by an unseen assailant and falls dead (no blood is shown). A man shoots another man in the chest using an explosive in a cigarette. A man shoots another man and threatens another man. A man is shot in the hand.
► Two men fight using sofas to hit each other, they slam each other around and one man uses a sword until he is struck with a statue and falls motionless; the other man closes him into a liquor cabinet and we don’t see him again. A man with a knife threatens another, the knife is taken by the other man and he stabs the first man (we see blood on his back). A man chases another man and they fight briefly and the second man falls dead (no blood or injuries are shown). A woman flies a plane, locks a man in the backseat into his seat and ejects from the plane; the plane dives and the man struggles to free himself, he tries to pull the plane up and it crashes and explodes while he manages to get away. A man fights with three other men in a cell.
► A space capsule drifts in space as an astronaut exits through a hatch and is connected by a lifeline; a much large vessel approaches, it opens are large hatch in the nose of the vessel and takes the smaller capsule inside; as the hatch closes again, the astronaut’s lifeline is severed and we see him drift motionless. A space capsule in space is captured by a larger vessel when it opens its front hatch.
► Many large guns fire at men and several are struck as they rappel into a deep crater in a volcano (we see some bullet holes, but do not see blood). A man is shot at in a street and he is picked up by a woman in a car, they are chased through streets by other cars and one car is lifted into the air by a helicopter with a large magnet attached to it; the vehicle is then flown over a body of water and dropped in. A woman swims away from a volcano and is shot at by a chasing helicopter. A forklift speeds toward a man and a woman on a dock, they run away and several men with crowbars approach them; the man runs up a flight of stairs and gunfire is exchanged, they run out onto a roof where several fight and we see some men fall motionless as the camera pulls away and the man jumps off the roof and lands on pallets of boxes below and as he walks away he’s struck in the head and knocked unconscious. A man opens a safe in an office and alarms blare, the man is chased by guards that shoot at him, he shoots back, and shoots a couple of guards outside the building before getting into a car and speeding away. A man flying a small helicopter is chased by several other helicopters, he is shot at and he returns fire causing the other helicopters to crash or fall from the sky (he uses aerial mines, a flamethrower and rockets). A man chases a woman through an abandoned train station, he steps on a floor that falls beneath him and he slides through a chute and lands in an office where he and another man talk. Two sumo wrestlers prepare for a match and slam into each other; they scuffle and wrestle until one wrestler is eventually thrown out of bounds (no injuries are shown). A man tells a woman, “Kill him.” A man wakes up tied into a chair and a woman questions him and slaps him in the face.
► We see many men during training and they fight, use swords and bamboo sticks, throwing stars, etc. A man wrapped in plastic and cloth is dropped into the ocean and retrieved by divers that take him to a submarine where he is cut out of the wrapping and is shown to be unharmed. A man is launched through a torpedo tube in a submarine, he swims away from the vessel and we see him safely climbing out of the water on a rocky beach. A man and woman row into a cave and they smell sulfur gas before diving under water to get away. A naval burial at sea is performed with sailors saluting a body wrapped in cloth and firing weapons into the air and dropping the body into the ocean. Opening credits are accompanied by a man running through the image of a large eye and when he shoots a gun, what looks like blood drips down over the eye. A man and woman swim away from an exploding volcano and a plane drops a raft for them to use; they climb in and are lifted out of the water on the top of a submarine (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details).
► A man burns a piece of paper held between his fingers (he is not burned). A man punches a watermelon and it explodes. A woman describes another woman rowing into a cave and coming out dead (we do not see this).
► Government representatives argue over who is responsible for an attack on a space capsule. A remark is made about someone having been “liquidated.” A man is made up to look Japanese and is told that he must marry a Japanese woman to be able to fit in; the man asks, “Is she pretty,” and he is told, “She has the face of a pig.”
► A large piece of raw meat is dropped into water where we hear that piranhas are kept; the water bubbles furiously as the meat is devoured. A man is shown with a badly scared face and eye.
You Only Live Twice LANGUAGE 2
– 2 sexual references, 2 mild obscenities, name-calling (ridiculous, dead man, sexiful, juvenile), 1 religious exclamation (Heaven Forbid). | profanity glossary |
You Only Live Twice SUBSTANCE USE
– A woman is poisoned by drops of poison reaching her lips from a string. A glass of wine and a pack of cigarettes are shown on a table (neither is touched), a man pours two alcoholic beverages and he and another man each drink, two men drink sake, a woman pours two glasses of champagne for herself and a man, and a man drinks a shot of vodka after fighting with another man.
You Only Live Twice DISCUSSION TOPICS
– U.S., U.S.S.R., war, cold war, gender roles, cultural gender roles, sexism, risk taking, world domination, cultural appropriation, failure, extortion, instigating war.
You Only Live Twice MESSAGE
– British pluck and gizmos will always win the day.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.