Uncut Gems | 2019 | R | – 6.7.10
A New York jeweler and inveterate gambler (Adam Sandler) is obsessed with hitting the big win and thinks he finally has the scheme figured out — if he can only dodge and outrun all the people he owes money to until his efforts pay off. Also with Julia Fox, Kevin Garnett, The Weeknd, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Aranbayev, Jacob Igielski, Noa Fisher, Paloma Elsesser, LaKeith Stanfield and Eric Bogosian. Directed by Benny & Josh Safdie. [Running Time: 2:15]
Uncut Gems SEX/NUDITY 6
– A woman takes off her clothes and we see her wearing a bra, underwear and a garter with stockings (cleavage, bare abdomen, buttocks and legs are shown) as a man texts her (he is hiding in the closet, unbeknownst to her) and asks what she is wearing along with some sexually suggestive questions; the woman lies back on a sofa and touches her crotch as she takes a photo of herself to send to him and when he jumps out of the closet, they kiss and sit on the sofa (we see a long shot from outside the window as the woman straddles the man and thrusts briefly and sex is implied). A man enters an apartment and finds two women in a bed resting, he yells at one of them and she asks him to join her for a “snuggle”; he lies in bed next to her and we see her wearing underwear that reveals her bare legs, hips and abdomen as she kisses him on the face.
► A man and a woman kiss. A man and woman do drugs in a bathroom together (please see the Substance Use category for more details) and the man tries to kiss the woman and tells her that he wants to have sex with her, until they are interrupted by her boyfriend knocking on the door (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A man in a casino invites a much younger woman to his penthouse suite and she initially declines but then goes to his room where we see him after showering with a towel wrapped around his waist (we see his bare chest, abdomen and back and no sex is implied).
► A painting hanging in the background of a scene shows nude women with bare breasts and genitals visible. A woman shows a man a tattoo of his name on her bare buttock (we see her buttock). A husband compliments his wife and asks if they can try again, and not follow through with a divorce (she is not receptive to the idea). Several men force a man to remove his clothing and get into the trunk of a car where they tear off his underwear (we see his bare back, legs, chest and abdomen). A sedated man wearing a hospital gown lies on an exam table during a colonoscopy and we see is bare legs to the lower thighs. Two women on TV wear low-cut tops that reveal cleavage. A woman wears a blouse that reveals cleavage in a few scenes. A painting of a fully nude woman shows her bare back, buttocks and legs. A woman wears a low-cut top and skin-tight pants that reveal cleavage and the outline of her hips and buttocks. A man takes off his shirt to sleep (we see his bare chest, abdomen and back). A woman wears a short dress that reveals cleavage and bare legs while other women cheer saying that that was her bat mitzvah dress.
Uncut Gems VIOLENCE/GORE 7
– A man shoots another man in the face (we see blood splatter, blood pools under his head and the camera zooms in on the bloody bullet hole in his face later). A man shoots another man in the head and we see blood splatter. A man is carried out of a mine and we see his very bloody leg with an exposed shinbone.
► In many scenes throughout the movie, and with increasing levels of violence, a man is approached and threatened by other men asking for money that he owes them. A woman pulls bloody tissues out of a man’s nose and wipes crusted blood from his face after a fight. Two men shove and punch a man in an office; they hold him and push him through an open window holding him by the legs several stories off the ground. A man shoves another man when he finds him in a club with his girlfriend; they shove and punch each other a few times and one man is shown out of the club; the woman follows the man out and they argue on the street. A man slams another man into school lockers and they struggle briefly; the man bites one of the other men on the arm (we later see bloody teeth marks in his arm) and they chase him through hallways and out onto a driveway, where other men get out of a car and chase him and one man hits him in the leg with a stick (he falls yelling) and three men drag him back to the car where they hold him and hit him in the face and head. A man chases another man, punches him in the nose and throws him into a fountain (we see him with a bloody nose and eye and his clothes are soaked). A man elbows another man in the throat causing him to gag and stumble back. Several men force a man to remove his clothing and get into the trunk of a car; they tear off his underwear and close the lid of the trunk. Several men argue over a stone in several scenes. A man slaps another man in the face on the street. A man locks three men in the security passage to a shop and keeps them there for a period of time; they first yell at the man, one man draws a gun and they are then shown sitting on the floor waiting (we see them sweating). Two men crowd a man in a shop trying to recover a debt and they take his money and his watch. A man punches another man in the face and he falls on the floor.
► A man threatens another man. A man tells another man, “You’re a dead man.” A man yells at a woman when he finds her in bed and she invites him to join her (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details). A man yells at another man over the telephone in several scenes. A man yells at another man and says that he doesn’t want to work for him any longer, citing a time that he was pulled over a counter in his shop, as well as other incidents. A man yells at a woman and hits her hand spilling a drink on her face and clothing. A man argues with a woman over the phone. A man yells while watching a basketball game. A wife yells at her husband to go say goodnight to their son. A husband and his wife argue in a few scenes. A father speaks to his teenage daughter and she is dismissive of him. A man makes a comment about “Jews and colon cancer.” A man pleads with another man to bid on a stone in an auction to artificially raise the bidding.
► We see men working in mines in Ethiopia digging for black opals. A husband yells at his wife over the phone telling her to get the kids out of the house because there’s a gas leak. A man leans on a glass display case and it shatters (he is not injured). A man pawns a valuable ring for money to use to place a bet.
► Several men are trapped in a security door passage into a shop and they all yell while a man inside the shop yells for tools and pounds on the door with a hammer (they eventually get the door open). Two men look for a woman in a casino and she hides. A man hides in a closet in an apartment and jumps out to greet a woman when she comes home; she yells at him for scaring her (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details).
► We see bruises on a man’s back after a beating. A colonoscopy is shown in progress with a screen showing inside a man’s colon as he lies sedated on a table; the doctor talks about the man being “well cleaned out” and that he has diverticulum and a polyp. A man opens a large box that contains fish; the man unpacks the fish and opens its abdominal cavity pulling a large stone from inside it. A teen girl performs in a play and we see coins pouring out of her mouth in one scene. A man pours vitamin water into a fish tank and other men frantically scoop the fish out of the tanks (we later see a fish dead in a drinking glass)
Uncut Gems LANGUAGE 10
– About 332 F-words and its derivatives, 1 obscene hand gesture, 6 sexual references (3 by text), 41 scatological terms, 30 anatomical terms, 9 mild obscenities, 22 derogatory terms for African-Americans, 2 derogatory term for Jewish people, name-calling (soap opera, you’re so extra, crazy, dummy, dumb, stupid, goons, annoying, ridiculous, old man, trash, stupidly, bad, fugazi, sick, fat, morons, ridiculous, dumbest, dead man, hot chick, cokehead, silly, losers, skank, tough guy, suspect, idiot, joke), exclamations (calm down, shut-up, relax, shut the [F-word deleted] up, are you kidding me, wow, yes, I swear to you), 15 religious profanities (GD), 29 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, My God, Oh God, Holy [scatological term deleted], Jesus, Jesus Christ, Jesus [F-word deleted] Christ, a Passover prayer). | profanity glossary |
Uncut Gems SUBSTANCE USE
– A man and a woman snort cocaine. A man drinks a beer in his home, and people drink shots of liquor in a bar. A man smokes a cigar, a man smokes a cigarette, and a few men smoke cigarettes in a room in a home.
Uncut Gems DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Gambling addiction, winning and losing, infidelity, divorce, debt, relationships, family, games, passion, obsession, doubt, honesty.
Uncut Gems MESSAGE
– Luck can be elusive.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.