Terminator: Dark Fate | 2019 | R | – 5.7.6
Taking place 2 decades after the events of the original movie, Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) along with a cybernetically enhanced human (Mackenzie Davis) must protect a young girl (Natalia Reyes) from a new and advanced liquid terminator (Gabriel Luna) determined to hunt her down. Their best hope for success, though, may lie with a much older terminator model (Arnold Schwarzenegger). Also with Diego Boneta. Directed by Tim Miller. Several lines of dialogue are spoken in Spanish with English subtitles. [Running Time: 2:08]
Terminator: Dark Fate SEX/NUDITY 5
– A fully nude woman falls to the ground out of a force field (we see her bare breasts briefly, and her buttocks, back and abdomen). A fully nude man falls to the ground from a force field (we see his bare chest, abdomen, hip and the side of his buttocks). A woman wears a tank top that reveals cleavage and bare shoulders. A young man is shown wearing only boxer shorts after a woman takes his clothes (we see his bare chest, abdomen and legs. A young woman wears a crop top that reveals cleavage and partial bare abdomen. A woman wears a dress that reveals cleavage and legs to the mid-thighs. A woman wears a low-cut top that reveals cleavage. A woman wearing a medical robe climbs off a table and we see her bare leg and partial bare hip. A guard is shown wearing underwear after a woman steals his clothing.
► A man and a woman kiss while reclining on the hood of a car. A man flirts with a woman and his sister interrupts them. A man says that his relationship with a woman is not physical.
the review continues below...
Terminator: Dark Fate VIOLENCE/GORE 7
– Soldiers on a transport vessel fly over a bombed out area and land where they are bombed (many soldiers are thrown and some remain motionless on the ground) and engage many robots that transform into creatures with long pointed tentacles and several of the soldiers are run through and lifted into the air (we hear screaming and see some blood spray); one soldier is stabbed through the abdomen and we see her face with bloody cuts on it as she is attended to by a medic. A terminator shoots a teenage boy in a beach bar and we see him with blood on his chest, and a woman tries to intervene and is thrown to the floor where she watches the boy being shot again and we understand that he dies. A terminator fights with many guards in a detention area and we see it stab guards through and slash their heads and chests with a lot of blood spurting and pouring from their wounds. A terminator stabs a man in the neck (a lot of blood gushes), then stabs another man in the mouth (we hear a squish) and we see a couple more bloody bodies later in the same room. A woman’s chest is cut open and a device is pulled out from it (we see blood and the woman screams).
► A woman shoots a terminator repeatedly and it falls off a bridge, the woman then shoots a mechanical terminator with a grenade launcher, blowing it into the air (both of the terminators recover and morph back together). A woman throws several pieces of rebar from a pickup truck through the windshield of a plow truck and they pierce the driver’s (it is a terminator) chest; the terminator separates his human form from a mechanical form and we see a stream of black liquid flow onto the hood of the truck where the human form regenerates and throws a piece of rebar back at the pickup truck and the woman blocks it with her arm (we see an abrasion on her arm and a man in the pickup is stabbed through the abdomen and we see the bloody wound later). A woman shoots a terminator repeatedly and it is shown with gashes in its metal framework and a glowing red eye before it reforms to normal. A woman shoots a terminator as it tries to jump onto a helicopter when it lifts off. A woman shoots a terminator three times in the chest (we see holes in his shirt but is unharmed). A terminator chases a woman through an auto plant and the woman hits it with a sledgehammer repeatedly smashing its head and breaking its limbs; it reforms, throws her, and she uses a car door as a shield to protect herself from a long bladed weapon the terminator grows out of its arm and tries to stab her with it. A terminator is struck by a car on a highway and we hear a thump under the vehicle; it reforms from a stream of black liquid and drives the car over the original driver (we hear a thud under the car). A car speeds into the side of a stalled pickup truck and it explodes leaving a man to die inside the vehicle. Two terminators fall into a deep opening and one holds the other as it tries to get out (we see one with a pole through its abdomen and we see them ignite and are then engulfed by an electric surge). A terminator in a helicopter flies over a bombed out building and shoots into it hitting a man (we see blood on his abdominal wound) before jumping out of the helicopter, which explodes as it crashes. Several people and a couple of terminators fight using chains and a sledgehammer; we see a terminator’s head and face misshaped after being struck, they throw and kick each other, a woman is stabbed in the abdomen (we see the bloody wound), a terminator is struck with a chain repeatedly and it is shown in pieces, and a terminator is held against a spinning drum that eventually draws it in and tears it apart blowing up the machine and we see two women wake up covered with ash and rubble. A woman fights with a terminator and jams an energy source into its eye socket (we see it twitch as its neural net it destroyed).
► A woman fights a few medical personnel in a Border Patrol detention area and slams one person’s head against a wall cracking the wall before stealing his clothes. A woman kicks a guard down a flight of stairs and fights with another man slamming his head against a wall (we see his bloody face) and she gets away.
► A girl runs through a bombed-out building, and is tackled by two people that hold her at gunpoint and knifepoint until a young woman intervenes. A woman slams an auto plant guard’s head against a wall knocking him unconscious. A man and a woman help an injured woman walk toward their car and they are stopped by police; the injured woman fights with the officers, leaving them all immobilized on the ground. A woman draws a gun and threatens a pharmacist for a long list of medicines that she eventually retrieves from the storage area herself before collapsing. A woman holds a gun on another woman that regains consciousness, grabs the gun and slams the woman against a wall. Several people walk through darkness and climb under a wall where they are surrounded by Border Patrol agents and taken into custody; a drone flies overhead and shoots at the ground blowing a car into the air and throwing several people to the ground. A woman holds a gun on a man and says, “I’ll kill you,” and she shoots into the ceiling of his cabin when another woman grabs the gun.
► A plane crashes into another plane mid-air and we see sparks and flames as the people in one of the planes are thrown around and three of them release a Humvee and float down to the ground when the parachutes are engaged; the vehicle is pulled over the side of a bridge and it falls into a waterfall where two women inside struggle with a terminator wrapping it in a parachute that drags it away; two terminators fight on the plane as it crashes into a dam and continue to fight underwater. A van speeds through a gate and up the ramp of a transport plane and people inside try to get rid of a terminator that shoots at them and tries to climb onboard; they shoot it repeatedly and a van is rolled back off the ramp knocking the terminator off the edge and it falls through the air, out of sight, and crashes into a shed on the ground startling the property owners. A plow truck crashes through a cement wall and chases a pickup truck with a man and two women inside: they speed on streets and a highway with other cars being pushed off the road and a few flipping, and the truck drives on the wrong direction on a highway lane and then drives through a divider and it forces a car into a guardrail.
► A woman is shown handcuffed to a medical table as two people examine her and one pulls a piece of metal out of her abdomen (we see blood and tissue and a metal mesh under the flesh). Several dead bodies are seen with bloody wounds and bloody footprints on the floor. Several dead bodies are seen with bloody wounds on the flight deck of a military plane. A woman lifts another woman’s top to reveal a large abdominal wound (we see blood and the open wound with what looks like metal mesh under the flesh) and plunges a hypodermic needle into her abdomen. A woman has bloody gashes on her face in a few scenes. A woman is shown with hairline scars all over her body. A man has a large scar on his face. An unconscious woman lies on a bed and another woman pours a bucket of ice over her; she breathes erratically and remains unconscious. A woman gasps and becomes weak in a few scenes. A woman cuts a fly in half as it flies (the pieces fall onto a table). A woman’s shoulder is dislocated and she groans as another woman snaps it back into position. A terminator is shown with part of its arm missing and metal framework exposed.
► A nude woman (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details) falls to the ground out of a force field; she bounces off the metal girders of a bridge and crashes onto the ground. A nude man (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details) falls to the ground out of a force field and when he touches a shirt held by a woman nearby his body morphs to be covered by the clothing.
► Water washes over skeletons on a shoreline as robotic creatures with guns come out of the water and shoot at people on shore while vessels fly overhead. Ice forms on a bridge and roadway and electrical flashes cause vehicles to skid out of control. Many people are shown loading onto train cars and we see them sitting on the roof as it moves.
► A woman remembers when she was a child and we see a child standing in a road as a passenger jet falls from the sky and crashes in the distance sending flames into the air; she talks about nukes being launched, that the whole world was at war and then the food ran out. A video of a woman talking about a future where humankind is destroyed (she describes people burning and flying apart like leaves) is played and she becomes increasingly agitated. A woman argues with her boss over her brother’s job being eliminated. A woman threatens to rip another woman’s throat out. A woman talks about another woman being an “undocumented Mexican national.” A woman throws another woman’s cellphone out of a moving car and tells her that she can be tracked from it. A woman says that some men killed her father for a can of peaches. A woman yells at another woman and says, “Everybody dies if you don’t make it.” People discuss using a woman as bait to destroy a terminator and that they need to get an EMP weapon. A woman tells a man, “I am going to kill you.”
the review continues below...
Terminator: Dark Fate LANGUAGE 6
– About 19 F-words and its derivatives, 18 scatological terms, 3 anatomical terms, 8 mild obscenities, name-calling (stubborn, scavengers, bastard), exclamations (shut-up), 1 religious profanity (GD). | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
Terminator: Dark Fate SUBSTANCE USE
– A woman injects another woman with a hypodermic needle filled with a combination of drugs, a woman injects herself with a large hypodermic needle filled with a combination of drugs a couple of times. People in a bar are shown drinking from bottles of beer, several people are shown holding and drinking beers from bottles, and a woman says that she drinks until she blacks out.
the review continues below...
Terminator: Dark Fate DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Artificial Intelligence, the destruction of humankind, changing the future, grief, sacrifice, life choices, treason, family, Border Patrol, cyber-warfare.
Terminator: Dark Fate MESSAGE
– There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.