Snatched | 2017 | R | - 8.5.8
An impulsive (Amy Schumer) is dumped by her boyfriend the night before the start of their South American vacation and she convinces her overprotective mother (Goldie Hawn) to go with her instead. However, the bickering duo is caught in chaos instead of exotic attractions. Also with Joan Cusack, Christopher Meloni, Ike Barinholtz, Óscar Jaenada and Wanda Sykes. Directed by Jonathan Levine. Several lines of dialogue in Spanish and one phrase in Klingon are not translated. [1:37]
- A woman holds a pornographic magazine up to the camera and for a few seconds each we see full page photos of a woman standing in full frontal nudity with her legs spread (revealing pubic hair, bare breasts and abdomen), a fully nude couple in profile as the man performs anal sex on the woman bent over a table (we see a small part of the penile shaft, one male buttock and one female buttock, and her breasts and nipples).
► A cell phone photo is seen briefly displaying a man's head near a woman's genital area; we see the nude couple in profile with the woman sitting on a table and the man standing bent-kneed (we do not see genitals) between her lifted knees and laughing into the camera, suggesting he had been performing oral sex (her breasts and nipples are visible).
► A dozen women at a beach party wear short skirts and mid-thigh shorts as they twerk for several seconds. A woman twerks in her bedroom to show her mother and she falls; her mother looks disgusted. A woman tells a man that she does not want to see him again, but writhes her buttocks at him as she walks out the door. A woman raises the back of her blouse to show a man her lower back tattoo.
► Many sexual comments are made throughout the film (please see the Language category for more details). A man breaking up with a woman tells her that sex on the road with many women will be better than sex with her; he leaves and she cries. An older woman says that her husband left her and that she never again had sex after he left. In a hotel lobby, two women accept short liquor glasses of white liquid; one woman takes a gulp and spits it onto the other woman's face, groaning that it is whale ejaculate.
► A woman wears a low-cut dress and one of her breasts and a nipple stick out of the neckline as her male date kisses her hand. A woman in a washroom wipes her underarms with a paper towel, lifts one foot to the sink, and washes her genital area (we do not see it) with a wet paper towel; she looks up and sees that the door is open and a man can see her. Several women on a beach wear skimpy bikinis (cleavage, navels, partial buttocks and abdomens are seen). A woman wears a bikini that reveals cleavage, and abdomen, a tattoo on the small of the back, thighs and partial buttocks. A woman wears a series of low-cut tops that reveal significant cleavage. A woman wears dresses that reveal ample cleavage. A few women wear short-shorts that bare their legs to the top of the thighs, some with sleeveless and deeply-cut blouses that reveal cleavage. Several men wear Speedo-style swim trunks revealing partial buttocks. An older man wearing Speedo-style swim trunks walks with a much younger woman wearing a bikini, while other women comment that he must be babysitting. Two women at a bar wear low-cut dresses that expose cleavage. A photo shows the torso of a woman wearing a bikini (we see slight cleavage, navel, hips and upper thighs). A photo poster of a woman shows a bare abdomen under a short blouse and her trousers are tight-fitting. A woman rips pages from a book and sticks them down her cleavage. A few men in a village in a long shot are shirtless, and tall grasses cover them from the waist, down.
the review continues below...
- Two women and a man in a jeep are slammed into by a van in which we see two men wearing ski masks as the screen goes blurry and black; one of the women awakens and we see her and the other woman in a dark jail cell (we see a large blood spot on one wall, presumably from previous prisoners) and a man enters and says, "I will skin you alive," and then puts them into a car trunk with their wrists tied; the women escape, they run and one woman falls and gets up unhurt, they both jump into a truck, one woman hits an attacking man in the head with a shovel (we see him lying face down in the road) and we later hear that he died (one of the women says that she saw his brains; we do not see them).
► A man confronts another man and two women in a jungle and shouts, "You killed my nephew"; the two women and the man with them escape when one of the women picks up a spear gun and skewers the first man's sidekick in the neck (no blood is visible) and the first man screams the she killed his son. A woman accidentally hits a man in the head at a beach party and he collapses, unconscious (we do not see him again).
► A woman uses a hammer to break into a room where she finds her mother face-down on the floor and they sneak out, steal a van but they are blocked by another vehicle; a man approaches, gets his fingers caught in a driver's side window, argues, and then punches the glass, which shatters but does not harm anyone, and then pulls the woman driver out the broken window (she is not cut), slams her to the ground and chokes her; the other woman attacks him from behind, falls back, and the first woman kicks him in the head to knock him down.
► A man tied to a chair sweats while a silent woman heats a pizza cutter with a blow torch and waves it at his crotch and another woman questions him; we hear that he had been dating naïve tourist women, knocking them out and helping kidnappers take them for ransom.
► A man shoots a gun from off-screen, and then knocks down another man. A woman points a gun at a man as army Jeeps appear with soldiers rushing forward and arresting a man, who tells a woman "I will kill you," twice.
► A man attempts to swing across a high cliff on a vine and it breaks, sending him falling a long way down (we never hear him hit and his screams fade away). A woman sends another woman across a high cliff in a basket on a zip line.
► A woman passes out and awakens in a jungle clinic where she hears that she has a tapeworm about three feet long and two men put a metal brace into her mouth to keep it open while dangling a raw sirloin steak above it; a ropelike worm with a knot-like head sticks out her mouth and a man grabs it, pulling it for several feet and slamming it on the floor below the frame and the woman hits it with a broom and then screams out a window as the scene ends.
► A man argues loudly with another man (a government official) by phone in several scenes and then shows up at the office, where several men yell, curse, and grab him away; during one argument, the official shouts, "We'll handcuff you to the bumper of your car and drag you to federal prison!" Two women argue in a dress shop and one woman fires the other. A mother and her adult daughter argue in several scenes. A woman and her boyfriend argue and break up, he leaves, and she cries. A woman and her adult brother argue several times. We hear that a retired female special ops agent cut out her own tongue to prevent herself from revealing secrets. We hear that a man has brain cancer and another man suffers from agoraphobia. An opening caption states that two women were abducted in Ecuador and encountered mayhem. A man removes a bandage from his forearm to show a tattoo of a man from the waist to the head, a grimace on the face, and the words "My wife."
► A woman blows a dog whistle and an attack dog grabs a man's arm off-screen; the man yells, the dog runs away and we see the man with a ragged sleeve on his arm and blood stains above and below his elbow. A woman in a taxi gives another woman a rape whistle that is really a dog whistle; when blown, a German shepherd attacks the window of the taxi, barking loudly and baring its teeth, but then it runs away. A close-up shows a large scorpion on a table and another close-up shows a snake twined around a thin jungle tree trunk.
► A woman chews bread and sticks some of the chewed material out of her lips at a man who grimaces. A woman chews her fingernails. A woman bites into a jungle fruit and spits it across a path. In a hotel lobby, two women accept short liquor glasses of white liquid; one woman takes a gulp and spits it onto the other woman's face, groaning that it is whale ejaculate. A woman slathers messy sunscreen over another woman's back and shoulders.
► A man by the side of the road with his back turned to the camera is shown from above his waist to his head as he reaches down and seems to be zipping his trousers (suggesting that he had urinated, although we do not hear or see evidence of it).
the review continues below...
- About 35 F-words and its derivatives (includes a text), 1 obscene hand gesture, 13 sexual references, 16 scatological terms, 23 anatomical terms, 20 mild obscenities, name-calling (crazy, insane, white, racist, rapist, garbage, whore, godforsaken, nerd, bummer, murderer, life-ruiner, selfish, worthless, Chatty Cathy, Powder), exclamations, (gosh, shut-up), 1 religious profanity (GD), 32 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, God, Holy [scatological term deleted], Oh God, God Forsaken).
the review continues below...
- A woman says that she wants to smoke a J (joint or marijuana cigarette) but we never see one. A woman in a cafe drinks a cocktail and a man drinks from a glass of beer while a man at the next table holds a glass of wine, a woman drinks from a glass of wine at home, a woman on a boat pours and drinks a glass of clear alcohol and another woman drinks from the unmarked bottle, a man and a woman at a bar drink from mixed cocktails and she later drinks from a cocktail glass and he drinks from a beer bottle, two beach party scenes around an outdoor bar show men and women holding and drinking from short and tall glasses of cocktails as well as double-shots of clear liquor and bottles of beer, two women drink large cocktails and a man drinks a bottle of beer on a beach early one morning, three men drink from beer bottles in an alley, a woman holds a tall cocktail glass, a man holds a bottle of beer at an outdoor bar (no one drinks), a man and a woman drink several shots and glasses of various alcohols and become drunk (they slur their words and sway as they walk), a woman tells her inebriated adult daughter that "Drinking with a man in a foreign country is smart," a woman tells her adult daughter that she always wants a drink and drunk-snores afterwards, a woman tells her mother to stop drinking so much (she had not been over indulging), and a man in a bar drinks a double shot of unknown liquor. A man lights and smokes a cigarette at night in the cab of his delivery truck.
the review continues below...
- Life goals, impulsivity, naiveté, family, relationships, love, sacrifice, worry, lack of control, traveling in foreign countries, anger, fear, safety, loss, death, justice, reconciliation.
- A woman's best friend is sometimes her mother.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
NEW THIS WEEK
NEW ON VIDEO
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.