The Predator | 2018 | R | - 6.10.10
Why is "The Predator" rated R? We see both male and female full frontal nudity depicted in paintings, and there's a great amount of violence and explicit gore, as well as more than 70 F-words and assorted other profanities. Read our parents' guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.
After an alien crash lands on Earth, another alien arrives seeking to retrieve its vessel and equipment but the ruthless and powerful Predators must first fight a motley band of former soldiers. A young boy helps out by hacking into the Predators' devices. With Boyd Holbrook, Trevante Rhodes, Jacob Tremblay, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, Augusto Aguilera, Jake Busey, Yvonne Strahovski and Brian A. Prince. Directed by Shane Black. A few lines of dialogue are spoken in Spanish and an alien language with English subtitles. [Running Time: 1:47]
The Predator SEX/NUDITY 6
- Several paintings of nude women and a man are seen and discussed by men (the painting of the male includes full frontal nudity, including genitals and the paintings of the women include full frontal nudity including breasts and genitals); a man points to the male genitals and makes a comment while another man asks what a woman's hand is doing over her genitals in a painting. A playing card is shown with a topless woman (we see bare breasts and her upper abdomen). We see a Predator from the side and back and the outline of an alien buttock cheek is seen.
► A man and a woman undress behind screens for a decontamination procedure and we see their bare shoulders and his upper chest. A woman undresses for decontamination and we see her bare shoulders and part of her back and legs as she squats down and against a wall in hiding.
► A man makes a joke about circumcision. An implication is made that two men are lovers.
the review continues below...
The Predator VIOLENCE/GORE 10
- Two soldiers hear chatter and noises coming from trees where another soldier's body is hanging from the ankles (we see the dead soldier with very bloody wounds and it looks like the skin from his face has been partially removed) and they open fire on something they see moving in the trees; a weapon is fired and it ricochets striking the hanging body and cuts it in half at the waist (we see the other part of the body fall to the ground and a lot of blood gushes out of the body as we see the intestines exposed. A man is pulled into a tree and his head is bitten off by an alien (we see blood pour and hear squishing and crunching); other men on the ground shoot at the alien. An alien kills several soldiers on a truck and we see decapitation and repeated stabbings that lead to a lot of gushing blood. Two aliens fight: one is pulled through a wall and thrown to the ground, it is slammed onto a car and its helmet and then head are pulled off (we see a lot of green alien blood and hear squishing and splattering and we then see its skull and spine thrown to the ground by the other alien). An alien attacks several men slamming one into an electrified fence and throws a bladed weapon into others (a lot of blood gushes from the wounds and we hear loud splattering) and the weapon decapitates several men driving in a Jeep (we see their heads rolling on the ground and blood gushes from the wounds). An alien fires a weapon and it ricochets hitting the alien and it is shown in flames as a man jumps on it and fights with it; the man is thrown into a tree and is impaled by a branch (we see blood on the branch and the man's abdomen) and another man is shot in the abdomen (we see bloody intestines).
► A man's arm is lopped off by a bladed weapon and we see the bloody stump and blood gushes from the wound. A man's arm is shot off (we see the bloody stump and severed arm). A man is cut in half by an alien weapon (we see the parts separate with a lot of blood). An alien's arm is shot off and we see a lot of green alien blood and the stump of the arm; a man uses the weapon on the severed arm to shoot the alien and it falls off a cliff to the ground, spitting up green goo.
► An alien breaks free of its restraints and attacks many people in the area; it bites a man on the arm (blood gushes), it slashes a man across the abdomen (blood gushes), it throws a man into a glass wall and blood splatters on the glass, a man is shot in the eye with a metal rod (we see him dead later with blood at the wound) and several others are thrown or slashed with a lot of blood. An alien makes its way through a military area shooting soldiers and guards as a woman follows it; we see a man thrown from a roof and hear splatter when he hits the ground. An alien breaks into a house and stabs 2 men: we see a lot of blood pour from the wounds.
► Two alien dogs approach a boy and a dog as a car speeds into the area and hits one of the alien dogs, several other people shoot at the dogs and one blows up splattering green alien blood all around, and the other dog is shot in the head repeatedly and staggers away. Three men jump on an alien vessel as it prepares to take off; they shoot at the engines to disable it and it flies slowly and low with smoke billowing from it as a forcefield covers the outer shell of the ship and one man climbs under the forcefield safely, another is cut in half by the field (we see his bloody severed torso fall off the ship) and the third is trapped on the outside and throws himself into the ships engine (we hear crunching) causing the vessel to lose altitude and it flies through tree tops dragging the remaining man dangling from his foot as the vessel crashes.
► Two boys tease a boy wearing an alien helmet as a Halloween costume and a man throws something that hits him in the head; the helmet discharges a blast that blows up the man and the house he is in (we see blood splatter before the man is engulfed in flames).
► Two soldiers with knives fight several mercenaries and slash them across throats and abdomens (we see blood spray and splatter). A sniper in camouflage waits for the arrival of members of a drug cartel holding hostages; when they arrive the sniper shoots one man in the head (we see blood spurt from a distance). Two wounded men shoot each other. A man shoots another man in the eye with a tranquilizer gun (we see the bloody wound with the dart in the eye). Mercenaries with guns get out of a helicopter and two of them beat up a man (we see him with a bloody mouth) before he tackles and shoots them both (blood splatters). A man investigates a crashed alien vessel and finds some green goo on the debris (presumably alien blood) and shoots at something he sees shimmering in the trees nearby. A man is held at gunpoint and he orders other armed men to shoot a boy's knees out (they do not shoot).
► A woman with a tranquilizer gun jumps on a moving bus and chases an alien while a man on the bus shoots at the alien, and it shoots out a tire of the bus causing it to swerve as the woman shoots herself in the foot with a dart that makes her leg go numb; she then falls off the roof of the bus to the ground with a thud. A man with a gun stands over a woman on the ground and prepares to shoot her until a man on a motorcycle crashes into him and throws him off-screen.
► An alien pulls the driver of an RV out of the window and holds him off the ground, and then throws him (no visible injuries). An alien throws a man and a woman jumps on its shoulders and shoots it in the head; the alien hits her and runs away with a boy. An alien blows a hole in the wall of a school and follows people inside; it grabs a man by the throat and slams him against a wall as a young boy picks up a gun and points it toward the alien (he doesn't shoot). A handcuffed man on a bus puts the chain across another man's throat and they scuffle until two military police officers confront them and along with the other prisoners on the bus, they fight, knocking the MPs unconscious and throwing them off the bus along with the driver. A woman tied to a chair hits a man with the chair and pulls the pin on a hand grenade that explodes as she jumps over a balcony. A man slams another man through a wall.
► An alien pod makes sounds and appears to be opening; three men remove its lid and one man is shot by something from inside the pod that forms a protective suit with weaponry around his body as he screams (it retracts and the man is OK). A woman wakes up from being sedated and holds a gun on five men standing around the room watching her; one man tries to get the gun away from her and she pulls the trigger (it is not loaded); the man flicks her nose and takes the gun away from her. An alien vessel flies into Earth's atmosphere and Air Force jets chase it unsuccessfully. Two alien space vessels shoot at each other, one vessel crashes into a satellite, flies into Earth's atmosphere, bounces off a mountain peak, and crashes into a metal tower and then to the ground (we see debris and flames all around.
► An alien is shown sedated and strapped onto a medical table as people examine it (we see large tusk like protrusions on its face and claws on its feet and hands). A boy opens a box with alien equipment in it and pushes a button on it that causes it to glow and display controls. A boy and a few men walk through an alien vessel. A woman throws her cell phone into a garbage disposal and we hear it crunch up. An alien ship explodes.
► Two boys bully and tease another boy in a few scenes. Two boys pull the fire alarm in a school and one boy moans and covers his ears from the loud blaring noise. A boy holds his ears when a dog barks and jumps at a fence as he walks by. A dog walks toward a boy and it whimpers; the boy pokes it in the nose and kneels down to pet it as it turns and barks at two alien dogs approaching them.
► A man in handcuffs tells a soldier, "If you shove me again I'm gonna break your neck" as he is walked to a military prison bus. A man talks about a friendly fire incident where a man shot his own people. A man talks about putting a bullet in a commanding officer. A boy says of his father, "He kills people." A woman describes to her young son who Frankenstein's monster is and says, "He threw a girl into water to see if she'd float." A man is interrogated after he sees an alien vessel crash. A man tells another man, "I'm gonna set you on fire." A man described as having Tourette's syndrome twitches and exclaims obscenities uncontrollably in a few scenes. We hear that a boy ran across a street in front of a car (he was not struck). A boy asks his father, "Are we gonna get killed?" A man tells another man that when their battle with an alien is over, "We're gonna dance" (meaning fight).
► An alien carries a bag that drips blood and alien dogs sniff the bag and then run off (presumably tracking something). A man swallows a metal ball about the size of a ping pong ball. A woman that's unconscious from sedation drools on her hand. A man has a scar on his head from a gunshot wound. We see a video and images that shows an alien undergoing some kind of medical procedure. An alien dog coughs up a grenade and later another item that seems to be a weapon.
the review continues below...
The Predator LANGUAGE 10
- About 77 F-words and its derivatives, 9 sexual references, 27 scatological terms, 23 anatomical terms, 9 mild obscenities, 1 derogatory term for African-Americans, name-calling (dumb, dark, crazy, stupider, rogue, white boy, twitchy, morons, dumbest, retarded, loonies, killer, lousy husband, traitor, bubba, alien Whoopie Goldberg, patsy), exclamations (shut-up, calm down, shut the [F-word deleted] up, screw up), 5 religious profanities (GD), 9 religious exclamations (e.g. Jesus, Oh My God, God, Jesus Christ, Holy [scatological term deleted]. | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
The Predator SUBSTANCE USE
- A man talks about staying for the opium (after a war). A man drinks a large shot of tequila in a bar, people drink beer and smoke cigarettes around a swimming pool, a man and a woman drink beer from bottles, a man drinks from a flask, and a poster reads "I'm not drunk, I'm loaded" [with a gun]. A man smokes cigarettes in several scenes throughout the movie.
the review continues below...
The Predator DISCUSSION TOPICS
- Alien species, mercenaries, friendly fire, war, entropy, the End Times, global warming, evolutionary biology, Turret's Syndrome, spontaneous speciation, divorce, survival, reverse psychology, being on the spectrum, PTSD.
The Predator MESSAGE
- Don't mess with other people's stuff. Making our planet unlivable for us may just be inviting aliens to take over.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.