Point Break | 2015 | PG-13 | - 4.6.5
In this remake of the 1991 cult classic, a rookie FBI agent (Luke Bracey) works undercover with a foreign operative (Ray Winstone) to infiltrate a ring of international bank robbers who are also extreme sports fanatics. Using surfing, snowboarding, and his climbing skills, the rookie befriends the ring's leader (Edgar Ramirez) and becomes enamored of the criminals' skills and Robin Hood philosophy. Also with Teresa Palmer and Delroy Lindo. Directed by Ericson Core. [1:54]
- A man and a woman sit on a floor and he touches her knee, they hold hands then they kiss briefly and she removes her shirt, showing her back and upper buttocks; he removes his shirt, they embrace and lie down on thick furs and we see bare backs, her hip, and the side of one of her breasts as the scene ends (sex is implied; the scene changes to morning, where the man puts on his shirt and leaves).
► A woman wearing a short blouse reveals bare buttocks in a close-up briefly as she dances with a clothed man at a yacht party; the party features several men (some shirtless) and women wearing bikinis, sarongs and some short dresses. Many women reveal cleavage, a few women are seen with bare midriffs and several women show bared legs to mid-thigh. In a few yacht scenes, dozens of women wear bikinis and we see bare backs, lower buttocks some cleavage and midriffs. Three bare-chested men are seen with large tattoos on their bodies. A woman removes her top to reveal a bikini and jumps into the ocean from a yacht and a man removes his jeans to show biker shorts and jumps in after her; they swim underwater (we see bare backs, his chest, cleavage and navels) and when they surface they float as she lies back onto his chest, ending the scene.
► Two cell phone photos show a man and woman embracing in the darkness and we see bare backs and his upper buttocks; the second photo is dim and shadowed, but we see the man bending forward to kiss the woman's throat or upper chest and her body is in darkness (we cannot see details of her body).
- A man is shot in the eye through his helmet and removes the helmet, showing a black sunken eye and blood streaming down his face while another man beside him is shot a few times and falls dead; another man drags the fallen man up some steps and a close-up shows the dead man's staring face and some blood on his eyes and cheeks. An FBI agent gives his rookie partner a handgun from his glove compartment as the men rush to a bank robbery at the top of a mountain and they join several parked police cruisers and officers wearing Kevlar armor and shooting handguns as men wearing helmets and shooting automatic rifles and handguns at police officers; four officers fall dead (no blood is visible). A man shoots the tires out of a moving motorcycle and chases the rider on foot; one man knocks over an elderly man who lies face down, moving his legs and trying to right himself while one of the men enters an incline cable car and the other jumps on top of the car and into an entrance door, pointing his gun at the other man, and then shooting and killing him.
► Two men ride motorbikes up and down narrow ridges in craggy mountains and they each jump over an opening onto a small butte, where the second man slips; the first man shouts and grabs him, but the second man shouts and falls over the side of the butte and off-screen (we later hear that the falling man died). Four men snowboard down a steep elevation of snow that contains huge, sharp boulders, vertical drops, craggy ridges, trees and other obstacles and one man slides off a cliff, falling thousands of feet to the bottom of the opening (we hear that he died) and another man shouts in anger; the camera cuts to a helicopter with a black body bag (it contains a body) on the floor. Three men at a tall waterfall climb the rock wall beside it without gear or ropes, and one of the men grunts, loses his grip, hangs by one hand before letting go and falling thousands of feet and off-screen (presumably dead); the other two men make it to the top of the wall and a flat cliff surface where they argue across water rushing between them and one of the men spreads his arms and confidently falls backwards as the other grabs at him and falls into rushing water and washes up on smooth rocks with a bloody face and a cut on his forehead and cheeks (we hear that no body was found for the other man).
► A yacht filled with men and women sits in open water, where waves 80 feet high approach and men surf on them while some men slide down the nose of the boat and into the water for fun; two men on surfboards are pulled by jet skis toward a wave and they surf as a wave encircles them in a tube of water (the "green room"), knocking one man into the water, where he floats underwater (apparently unconscious) and the other man pulls him out of the water, saving his life.
► A man enters a building and finds a fight club where two men punch each other several times and knee each other in the stomach (one man suffers bloody cuts around his eye and cheek); the first man fights the leader of the club and falls twice after several punches and knee attacks occur between the two men and the first man is angry during the fight, grunting, growling, and roaring (he has a bloody nose, lip and cheek).
► Three helmeted men ride motorcycles through loudly shattering plate glass windows many stories up in a high rise and parachute to the ground. Four men with scratches and scars on their faces climb the French Alps and at the top of a cliff, they look down into a long line of rocky ridges, large rocks, and craggy ground between high stone cliffs; all four wear helmets and jumpsuits with wings and jump off the cliff, gliding for several minutes in the air and between narrow openings in cliff walls until they deploy parachutes and land on their feet where they hug, whoop and shout in joy. Two men hide in the cargo hold of a plane and push two huge pallet blocks of currency out the hatch mid-air; they use knives to cut the money loose from its packaging and bills fall into a Mexican village where people scramble to pick it up while the two men dive into a cave shaft before activating parachutes.
► Several people plant explosives on a mountain that is part of a gold mine/strip mine, they then follow miners in three ore trucks and two jeeps; the first jeep sideswipes all of the miners' vehicles several times and we hear metal crunching and a miner shoots an automatic rifle at the attacking jeep, but hits nothing but the hood and two jeeps fall toward the camera and off the road onto a lower road and land on their roofs (two men get out of one of the jeeps and we see that they have a few facial scratches and a bit of blood); one of these men points a gun at men in an ore truck while two other criminals parachute off a cliff to join the scene and a man helps a truck driver away from the wreckage and points a gun at the ring leader of the crooks as the leader remote-control detonates the mountain (for one to two minutes, we see a loud, avalanche of rocks and dirt fall down the tall mountain and toward the camera); jeeps and trucks roll sideways down the debris and into the camera and two men on motorcycles escape, one chasing the other through a craggy, wooded area; the men fall from the bikes and one man shouts at the other across a wide stream and the first man shouts angrily, the other man escapes and he shoots six shots into the air.
► Two smoke bombs land in front of a bank building from off-screen and begin to smoke as a robber rides a motorcycle through a plate glass window and into the street, escaping among loudly shattering glass and gunfire; an armed man chases him on foot. A man runs to a train station platform and sees another man across the tracks on the opposite platform; the first man jumps onto the tracks as a train speeds by in front of him. A robber breaks out the lower plate glass window of a small bank, loudly shattering glass onto the steps and sidewalk. Alley walls are covered in black spray paint graffiti designs and the shell of a parked car burns and the fire spreads somewhat. A man uses a cable to ascend into a helicopter in a rain storm. A man on a boat takes a surfboard and shouts in joy as he jumps into the ocean and surfs until the wave envelopes him with much white foam filling the screen (the fate of the surfer is unknown). During a rainstorm in the Pacific Ocean, a man motors a small tugboat-type vessel near a 100-foot wave and a man jumps from a helicopter onto the boat, and attempts to arrest the man, but the man talks him out of it. A man on a snowy mountaintop snowboards down a long, steep contour on the mountain through smooth snow.
► Five people stand at a tall bonfire beside a low building where they place burning torches into the fire in tribute to a dead friend (it is unclear where the body is). A man kneels and removes the helmet of a person he has just killed and sees that the person is a friend and he looks stunned.
► Two men argue about financing extreme sports through bank robbing and one man declares, "The planet is dying"; he says that extreme sports and his crimes bring attention to the problem. A man argues with his supervisor about a case and the boss shouts; the superior berates the agent for becoming personally involved with criminals who like the same extreme sports he enjoys, and failing his mission. A man in an office says that criminals burnt a logging camp to the ground. A woman says that a man adopted her after her parents died in an avalanche when she was nine years old; she also says that he died during a series of extreme sports endeavors, when he put his boat between a whaling ship and a pod of humpback whales in order to stop the whaling, but the ship's crew could not see him and ran him over.
► A man spits on the ground in front of another man (we hear it but do not see spit).
- At least 1 F-word, 7 obscene hand gestures, 14 scatological terms, 5 anatomical terms, 7 mild obscenities, name-calling (crazy, stupid, atrocity, monster).
- A man tells another man on a yacht to relax and hands him a lit marijuana cigarette that the second man throws overboard without smoking it. A yacht party includes men and women drinking martinis as well as glasses of wine and bottles and cans of beer, servers carry mixed drinks on trays on a yacht, a large tub of ice holds three unopened bottles of wine, an outdoor lunch on a hillside features two open bottles of wine and five glasses of wine (we see no one drink), a nighttime party in a building on a hillside features a table full of rows of different varieties of beer in bottles, and men and women drink from bottles of beer and mixed drinks. A man plays with a cigarette lighter, lighting and closing it and then lights a cigarette for another man, a man offers another man a long cigarette and both men smoke from it (it is implied that it is either drugs or tobacco), we see several clouds of white cigarette smoke, a man smokes outside a small house, a man smokes twice in a car while driving, a few men and women smoke at a party, and a man in an office lights and smokes a cigarette.
- Corporate waste of natural resources, radical activism, FBI activities, international crime, murder, accidental death, "the means justify the ends," making choices, challenging oneself, extreme sports, "becoming one with the planet," danger, determination, courage, respect, understanding, trust, justice.
- New government agents must put aside personal philosophies when infiltrating crime rings.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.