Night School | 2018 | PG-13 | – 5.5.5
Why is “Night School” rated PG-13? The MPAA rating has been assigned for “crude and sexual content throughout, language, some drug references and violence.” The Kids-In-Mind.com evaluation includes lots of sexual innuendo and explicit references to sexual practices, some nudity such as cleavage and buttocks, some fights without much gore, and a couple of F-words. Read our parents’ guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.”
A high school dropout (Kevin Hart) loses his job when he accidentally blows up his boss’s propane grill store. Forced to attend night school to get his GED, he finds that he has a long way to go to earn his certificate while a quirky adult education instructor (Tiffany Haddish) tries to help, fellow students create drama and an old rival resurfaces. Also with Rob Riggle, Taran Killam, Romany Malco, Keith David and Loretta Devine. Directed by Malcom D. Lee. [Running Time: 1:51]
Night School SEX/NUDITY 5
– A woman texts a man a picture of her wearing a deeply cut lace negligee that reveals cleavage, abdomen and shoulders and when he receives the picture, a floating talking woman’s head tells him that he will not have his face between the woman’s cheeks (buttocks); he arrives at home to find her asleep and we see her wearing the same negligee, this time with full bare legs. A man and a woman kiss briefly a couple of times and hug once.
► A man in a school corridor pulls up his shirt to reveal his bare chest and abdomen along with three nipples; other people pull back and groan. Two women wear tight mid-calf skirts slit over one leg to the mid-thigh. A woman wears two dresses containing netting above the chest, revealing cleavage. A few scenes include teen girls wearing low-cut prom dresses that reveal moderate cleavage. A couple of teen girls wear miniskirts that reveal bare legs to nearly the top of the thighs; one teen wears cut-off short-shorts that reveal bare legs and revealing the bottom of the buttocks. Many women in a gym wear tight yoga pants that hug the hips and buttocks, and a few women wear sports bras that reveal cleavage and bare abdomens. A woman wears a suit with very tight Capri pants that accentuate her thighs and buttocks. A girl’s dress flips up to reveal bare thighs and legs in a shadowed scene.
► A woman shouts at her husband in front of friends, demanding 45-minute sex frequently, and that he should perform a specific act that does something to her anus; he smiles and says that he can’t wait until she becomes a porn star. A woman says that she was pregnant at age 16 and dropped out of school. A woman says that a college professor grabbed her from behind and she could feel his legs against her thighs. A woman pretends to faint in a man’s arms, tries to kiss him and says, “I wish I had you in my teeth.” A woman in trousers turns around to a man, bends over, thrusts her buttocks at him, slaps them three times, and touches the area of her anus, telling him to break the walnut; he refuses and later says to himself, “She wanted me bad.” A woman at a dance says that she is gay and likes women.
► In a dance sequence teens and adults gyrate, do pelvic thrusts, and one woman twerks wildly for several seconds as the crowd laughs and applauds. In a boxing ring, a woman puts a headlock on a man with her legs and his head ends up between her thighs and crotch. A man who is afraid of robots runs out of his bedroom holding a vibrator (we see only a long handle), shouting at his wife in the living room, “What are you doing with this robot?”
► A business called Club Wax has two signs that are silhouettes of a nude woman; a man says he can smell coco butter outside while he smells chicken from a Christian Chicken restaurant. In a restaurant, a man reaches into his trousers under a table, pulls out pubic hairs and we see the hairs as he puts them onto a dessert.
the review continues below...
Night School VIOLENCE/GORE 5
- All the propane gas grills in a store are lit with roaring fires and lit candles stand beside them as a man and a woman enter and a Champagne cork pops into a propane tank valve, causing a gas leak and when the man plugs in a fan, sparks ignite the building; the store explodes in a fireball and tall flames as the man is thrown through a wall and lands on his back on his car windshield, which cracks many times (his jacket and shirt are smoking, but no injuries show as he groans and grimaces). A man gets into his car as it is being winched onto a tow truck, argues with the truck driver, guns the engine of the car, and the car speeds backward into a light pole at a school, demolishing the car but causing no injuries.
► A prisoner is attacked by three other prisoners and we see the action on a computer monitor in a classroom; he stabs them each with a fork (no blood is seen), grabs them off-screen, and tosses them each across the screen, a guard grabs one of the attackers and punches him and we hear punches and groans off-screen and the three attackers are taken away. A woman in a boxing ring and wearing boxing gloves punches a man in the face hard twice (he looks surprised and no injury shows). In two scenes a woman in a boxing ring body slams a man into a mesh wall and onto the boxing ring floor, kicks him, twists an arm and then a leg, and does a shoulder throw. In a boxing scene where a man is wearing protective padding a woman beats him with fists, body slams, slams him to the floor, and puts a headlock on him with her legs. A woman shouts at a man wearing a chicken suit, rips the suit off him, and beats his buttocks (they're clothed) with a leather belt as she shouts. A man chokes another man who drops to the floor unconscious and later wakes up shouting. A man and his teenage son fistfight and move off-screen as we hear punches and the scene ends. A man sticks his hand into a briefcase when he is afraid of being hit with a ball bat, as if he may have a gun or knife, but takes nothing out. A boy and a girl fight over a pillow, bumping into a woman and spilling her coffee all over her homework; the children then run away.
► Several people run onto the flat roof of a building as a man jumps from one flat roof across a gap to another flat roof, slams against the edge of the second roof, and falls onto his back onto a set of three concrete steps on the ground (we hear crunching and him yelling, and we see his shoulder bent up and around his head as he screams hysterically, but he is fine in the next scene); a man on a roof then vomits what looks like cottage cheese and liquid into the fallen man's face and over his shoulders and chest (the camera focuses on the vomit for several seconds as the man screeches). A woman jumps a gap between two buildings, rolls, and stands up unharmed.
► In a restaurant, a man reaches into his trousers under a table, pulls out pubic hairs and we see the hairs as he puts them onto a dessert; he complains to the water and an argument erupts between the two men and a chef and the waiter is fired. Several men and women try to steal a test paper from a school and argue but begin running when loud alarms sound. A woman argues on a cell phone while driving, pulls to a stop light and argues loudly with the man in the car next to her. A woman argues with a man in a school several times, with another man and with a class of adults, whom she curses at and ejects from the room. A man and a woman argue and she tells him not to come home. A woman asks a man if he was abused in high school and he says no. A woman says that she hates her children. A woman says that she will beat up a man. A man berates his adult son and calls him insulting names. A man in a car shouts insults at a man wearing a chicken suit in front of a restaurant.
► A high school principal carries a baseball bat through the halls and classrooms, threatens students, and slams the bat into lockers, a wall, and a classroom door. A prisoner/student graduates from a GED program wearing handcuffs.
► Words and numbers on paper and a computer screen move around and crash into each other as a man looks at them in three scenes (he is dyslexic and has a math learning disability); he slams a paper onto a desk to make the writing stop moving.
► A man flatulates silently and another man says it smells bad. A man says something smells bad and a woman says she passed gas. A man tells another man that he has bad breath.
the review continues below...
Night School LANGUAGE 5
- 2 F-words, 1 obscene hand gesture, 9 sexual references, 38 scatological terms, 45 anatomical terms, 27 mild obscenities, 2 derogatory terms for African-Americans, name-calling (dumb, dumbest, clinically dumb, crazy, stupid, brick head, liar, cheater, idiot, fool, sheep, hustler, paranoid, loud-mouthed, short, sell-out, snitch, pint-sized little man, leprechaun, black leprechaun, freak of nature, delusion, nasty, honeybee, volume control police, pimply faced teenager, Chinese boy, Captain Bottle Cap, Tupac Coachella, Pube-y McGee), exclamations (shut-up, for the love of ..., oh my gosh, mind your business), 11 religious profanities (GD), 34 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Oh God, For God's Sake, You Will Bow Down To Me As A God, Jesus, Jesus Christ, Hallelujah, Amen, God Willing, What Would Jesus Do, I Am Blessed, Holy [scatological term deleted], Holy Chicken). | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
Night School SUBSTANCE USE
- A woman says that she was caught with "molly" drugs in her locker at school and expelled and if she has another drug arrest she will be in prison. Two glasses of whiskey are shown in front of two men at a bar, a man and a woman sip wine at a bar, two women drink wine at a table and two men drink wine at another table in a bar, a bottle of beer is seen in front of each of two men at a table, a bottle of champagne is seen in an ice bucket in a store and a man pops the cork (no one drinks), a woman in a classroom opens two champagne bottles and men and women drink from plastic cups, and a woman sips wine at home. A man says he should buy a prisoner some "smokes" because they are "like currency in prison; that and sex."
the review continues below...
Night School DISCUSSION TOPICS
- High school dropouts, GED tests, losing a good job, teen pregnancy, secrets, lies, shame, learning disabilities, honesty, persistence, not giving up, relationships, love, respect, communication, starting over.
Night School MESSAGE
- Night school is a great second chance and students with learning disabilities deserve specialized teaching.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.