Moxie | 2021 | PG-13 | – 3.4.5
A shy 16-year old student (Hadley Robinson) finds her political voice when she despairs, experiencing escalating sexism and racism at her high school. Also with Lauren Tsai, Alycia Pascual-Pena, Nico Hiraga, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Sydnek Pack Sabrina Haskett, Ike Barinholtz, Marcia Gay Harden and Amy Poehler. Directed by Poehler. A few lines of dialogue are spoken in Spanish and Mandarin without translation, and a song is sung in French without translation. [Running Time: 1:51]
Moxie SEX/NUDITY 3
– A teen girl and a teen boy smile at each other and they kiss later in the backseat of a car at night, where he is shirtless and she wears a tank top; he says they should stop because he wants sex to be special and she agrees. Two teen girls kiss at a school party. A teen girl kisses a teen boy goodnight and afterward she jokes to her mother, “I am actually pregnant already.” A teen boy kisses a teen girl’s shoulder and she leaves. A teen boy kisses a teen girl’s neck.
► A teen girl says, “I might have sex” and cries briefly as her mother looks worried. A teen boy says twice at a party, “Everybody get laid”; we see no sexual contact. A teen girl on a laptop screen sings that she likes to kiss another girl. A woman says she and a man are “cracking each other” after work (sex is implied).
► A teen girl writes an anonymous note to a high school feminist club, stating that she was raped. A TV newscast mentions sexual harassment and discrimination against women. A man flirts with a woman by smiling and handing her leeks in a grocery store.
► Three teen girls wear tank tops that reveal cleavage. A principal removes a teen girl wearing a tank top from class after the teen cannot comply with “cover up,” while she allows another teen wearing a tank top to remain. A few girls wear short shorts that end at the upper thighs and one girl wears a miniskirt baring her legs to the upper thighs. Several cheerleaders wear skirts ending at mid-thighs, and somersaults show red dance pants. A teen girl wears tops that bare her abdomen.
Moxie VIOLENCE/GORE 4
– A teen girl writes an anonymous note to a high school feminist club, stating that she was raped; a club member paints in red block letters RAPEPORT on the school stoop and calls for a walkout causing students to walk out of classes the next morning, calls for students to shout loudly, scream and give speeches, and the assaulted young woman comes forward and names her rapist; she then says that she was voted “Most Bangable” by the football team and the rapist is taken out of class and away by the principal. A TV newscast mentions sexual harassment and discrimination against women.
► High school girls are denigrated and mocked by student football players in several scenes. A teen girl is interrupted by a teen boy several times in a class. Two teen girls pull away and say “No” as a male teen rubs their shoulders. A teen boy wiggles his rear end close to a teen girl’s face as she grimaces. A teen boy slides under a girl who is beginning to sit in a chair and she quickly moves away. A teen girl is hovered over and taunted by a teen boy at a soda machine and he slams his fist into the machine then steals her soda. Teen boys circulate an email list of denigrating ranks for teen girls including “Most Bangable,” “Best [anatomical term deleted],” “Best Rack,” “Never Been Touched,” “Designated Drunk,” “Hot Sisters,” and “Future MILF.” A teen receives email notification of the designation of what she says is the “c-word” and all students receive the email; the principal tells her twice to ignore it when she files a complaint about earlier harassment and the email.
► A bullied girl dreams that she is chased through the woods at night by an unseen pursuer; she grabs her throat, screams silently, and awakens in a panic. Two boys jump out at a teen girl in a hallway at school and the girl gasps as the boys laugh. A teen boy who is a bully takes over morning announcements to lie that he is being targeted for propaganda and bullying.
► A teen girl at dinner shouts at a woman, a man, and a teen boy, curses, and storms away from the table. Two teen girls cry in one scene and another teen girl argues with her mother and cries in a later scene. Teen girls argue for several seconds in a couple of scenes. A teen girl argues with a male teacher briefly. A teen girl slaps stickers that say, “You’re an Asshole” on school lockers, walls, teen boys and their backpacks; a principal confronts the girl, but becomes angry with an uninvolved girl and suspends the second girl.
► A teen boy falls in grass, we see him the next day with an arm sling, and a teen girl claims that she tripped him purposely. Inside a house at a loud party two boys skateboard and one boy falls off-screen. A teen boy runs his bicycle into a parked car and is thrown out of the frame. A teen boy and a teen girl enter a funeral home at night, look at caskets, and lie side by side in an open coffin briefly.
► A man says, “I have to go to the bathroom” and leaves a room. A teen girl drinks from a champagne bottle at a football game, she staggers home, slurs her words and vomits greenish transparent fluid on the carpet in front of a man and a woman. A character says the word “vomit,” and another says, “barfed.”
Moxie LANGUAGE 5
– At least 1 F-word, 3 sexual references, 14 scatological terms, 17 anatomical terms, 10 mild obscenities, name-calling (rich white boy, ho, old white guys, mediocre white dude, dirt bags, stupid, idiot, whiner, dyke, weird, lame dork, coward, freaky cult, Sneaky Pete, Seth the Shrimp, Britney Spears), exclamations (shut up, oh my gosh, boo, wow, whoa, yeah, whoo, Oh my gosh), 15 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, God, Jesus Christ). | profanity glossary |
Moxie SUBSTANCE USE
– A few scenes feature teen drinking and when one teen girl drinks from a champagne bottle at a football game she staggers home and slurs her words and vomits greenish transparent fluid on the carpet in front of a man and a woman, many teen boys and girls hold red alcoholic beverage cups at a teen party where a drinking game is set up, a teen girl holds a bottle of champagne and sips from a glass of it at a party, and a teen boy announces at a party that there is a ton of alcohol is in the kitchen and we see a row of various alcohol bottles on a shelf.
Moxie DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Activism, sexism, rape, misogyny, racism, white privilege, bullying, voicelessness, danger, fear, speaking truth to power, justice, following rules, helping others, conflict, reconciliation, problem-solving, working together.
– Teenagers can help end sexism and discrimination in American society.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.