Mid90s | 2018 | R | – 5.5.10
Why is “Mid90s” rated R? The MPAA rating has been assigned for “pervasive language, sexual content, drug and alcohol use, some violent behavior/disturbing images — all involving minors.” The Kids-In-Mind.com evaluation includes a couple of implied sex scenes, discussions about teen sex, nudity in photos, physical abuse, a car crash that leaves one passenger hospitalized, drug use and underage alcohol consumption, and over 170 F-words. Read our parents’ guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.”
A 13 year old boy (Sunny Suljic) tries to find his path one summer and falls in with a group of skateboarders but each one has his own issues. Also with Katherine Waterston, Lucas Hedges, Na-kel Smith, Olan Prenatt, Gio Galicia and Ryder McLaughlin. Directed by Jonah Hill. [Running Time: 1:24]
Mid90s SEX/NUDITY 5
– A teen girl takes a younger teen boy to a bedroom where he takes off his clothes (we see him wearing boxers and his bare chest, abdomen and legs are seen) and she removes her clothes (we see her wearing a bra and underwear that reveal cleavage, bare abdomen and legs); they sit on a bed and kiss and the scene ends but we later hear that some sexual activity occurred. A man comes out of a woman’s bedroom and zips up his pants (sex is implied).
► A teen boy unfolds a centerfold and we see a fully nude woman with bare breasts, abdomen, genital area and legs in mostly flesh tones without much other detail. A young teen boy stands shirtless in front of a mirror and we see his bare chest, abdomen and back. Teen girls wear cropped and low-cut tops that reveal cleavage and bare abdomens.
► A teen girl asks a younger teen boy if he has ever been with a girl and he says yes. Several teen boys talk about sexual acts, as well as rape. A woman talks to her two sons about being attracted to a man and that when she was 18 she was breast feeding the older of the two boys (he is turning 18). A teen boy tells his younger brother that he used to hear “sex noises” coming out of their mom’s room all the time. A teen boy tells other teen boys about what a teen girl did to him sexually and what he did to her and that he wants that “to happen more.”
Mid90s VIOLENCE/GORE 5
- A inebriated teen drives a car with four other teens and flips the vehicle (we see it on its side); one teen boy is shown unconscious and we later see him in the hospital with a cast on his arm and an IV in the other arm. A young teen boy is slammed into a wall by an older teen boy who then straddles him on the floor, punches him in the face and pounds his head on the floor several times (we see bruises on his chest and back later). A teen boy holds another teen boy against a wall and yells at him; he chases him around a house, straddles him on the floor and punches him in the face twice (we see him with a black eye later). A teen boy climbs on another teen sleeping in bed and punches him repeatedly; the victim screams and punches the wall after the other teen leaves the room. A teen boy shoves another teen boy and they fight with punches until another teen pulls them apart and we see them later with bloody and bruised faces. A teen boy tries to skateboard over an opening in a roof and falls through crashing onto a table below; he lies motionless and when he sits up blood pours down his forehead and soaks two T-shirts wrapped around his head.
► A teen jumps on his skateboard and runs into another teen; they stare each other down and one becomes confrontational while the other walks away. A teen boy practices skateboarding tricks and falls on the ground repeatedly (we do not see injuries). Several teen boys skateboard in the middle of a busy street with cars around them. A teen boy pulls down his pants (we see his boxers and bare thighs) and uses a hair brush on his bare thigh; he brushes really hard until he has caused himself pain. A teen boy wraps a cable around his neck and pulls it tight to cause himself pain. Many teens run when police arrive in a park to stop them from skateboarding and doing drugs; we see a couple of teens grabbed and held by officers. Two teen boys sleep in a park.
► A teen boy yells at his mother in a car and they argue. Teen boys argue with a security guard that tells them to leave a playground where they are skateboarding. A teen boy argues with his mother and we hear them yelling in another room. A teen boy talks about his younger brother being struck and killed by a car. Teen boys talk about racial stereotypes and ask each other questions; one teen asks another why Mexicans are always called lazy, another asks if black people can get sunburned and if it's cool to be black and another asks why white people love their pets so much. A teen boy talks about his parents taking his car away because he got bad grades. A teen boy describes another teen boy as being the "poorest person he has ever known," he talks about another teen whose mother beats him and his sister all the time, and another who only wants to party.
► A teen boy washes with hand soap in a gas station bathroom, sprays himself with room deodorizer and washes his mouth with liquid soap before going home (he had been smoking). A teen boy sprays himself with room deodorizer and gargles with mouthwash before going home after smoking. Two teen boys urinate on a playground (we hear trickling). A teen boy urinates in a plant on a patio (we hear trickling and see a stream).
Mid90s LANGUAGE 10
- About 171 F-words and its derivatives, 12 sexual references, 48 scatological terms, 21 anatomical terms, 17 mild obscenities, 33 derogatory terms for African-Americans, 7 derogatory terms for homosexuals, name-calling (playerish, lazy, wierdo, lil man, pathetic, white boy, crazy, Cheryl Crow, insane, fool, rent-a-cop, Mr. Burns, ignorant, judgey, silly, ghetto, sad, dumb, sunburn, 4th grade, retarded, little kid, idiot, corny), exclamations (shut the [F-word deleted] up, shut-up), 13 religious exclamations (e.g. God, Oh My God, Oh My [F-word deleted] God). | profanity glossary |
Mid90s SUBSTANCE USE
- A teen boy tells another teen that he should not accept anything to smoke in a park because it's probably crack, a teen boy gives a few others each a tablet of his prescription drug for ADD, teen boys and teen girls are shown smoking marijuana and sharing a pipe, and people are shown smoking in a park and it is implied that some are smoking drugs. A woman is shown with a glass of wine at a restaurant (we do not see her drink), a teen boy carries several large bottles of beer to share with other teen boys and they are shown drinking, teen boys and teen girls are shown drinking and smoking at a house party, a teen boy guzzles from a large bottle of beer in a public restroom, several teens are shown inebriated while skateboarding, a teen boy takes a bottle of alcohol away from a younger teen boy (so he'll stop drinking), and a teen boy drinks liquor from a bottle at a party. Two teen boys smoke cigarettes in a few scenes (one coughs a few times), a man smokes a cigarette and when a teen argues that he should not be smoking he replies by saying that Jesus smoked cigarettes, many people smoke cigarettes in a park, and a teen boy is shown with a pack of cigarettes in his pocket.
Mid90s DISCUSSION TOPICS
- Loneliness, abuse, families, siblings, single parenting, ambition, friendship, drug and alcohol use, jealousy, driving drunk.
- Having someone to talk to can help in most situations.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.