Hotel Mumbai | 2019 | R | – 1.8.7
Why is “Hotel Mumbai” rated R? The MPAA rating has been assigned for “disturbing violence throughout, bloody images, and language.” The Kids-In-Mind.com evaluation includes a few kisses and expressions of love, many scenes of many people being killed by gunfire and bombings with bloody wounds shown, tense sequences of people nearly being discovered by gunmen, and over 20 F-words and its derivatives. Read our parents’ guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.”
Based on the true events of the 2008 terrorist attack on multiple sites throughout Mumbai, India — and specifically on the renowned Taj Hotel where many members of the staff remained in an effort to try and save their guests, who were under siege. With Nazanin Boniadi, Dev Patel, Armie Hammer, Tilda Cobham-Hervey, Amandeep Singh, Suhail Nayyar, Manoj Mehra, Dinesh Kumar, Amriptal Singh and Kapil Kumar Netra. Directed by Anthony Maras. Dialogue is spoken in Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, Greek, Russian, Arabic, Urdu and Persian with English subtitles and a few phrases are without translation. [Running Time: 2:03]
Hotel Mumbai SEX/NUDITY 1
– A husband and his wife kiss and he kisses her clothed, pregnant abdomen. A husband and his wife kiss and embrace. A man looks at several headshots of women and orders two of them over the phone to join him for a private party; he asks for a specific physical description of one of the women and a man and a woman seated nearby overhear and seem alarmed.
► A gunman is told to search a dead woman’s bra for identification and the gunman refuses. A man says that a woman was pregnant before marriage so she and her husband were married in a private ceremony for less publicity.
► A shirtless man dresses and we see his bare chest, abdomen and back. A woman’s dress reveals cleavage in several scenes. A woman is shown wearing a bra and underwear as she prepares to shower and we see cleavage, abdomen, back and legs. A man’s shirt is pulled open to reveal his chest and abdomen. A nude toddler stands in a tub of water (we see her bare buttocks and back).
the review continues below...
Hotel Mumbai VIOLENCE/GORE 8
- A man standing in a restaurant is shot through the head (blood sprays), a grenade explodes throwing others and two gunmen enter the restaurant, shooting anyone that moves, and two people hide under a table and run out when the gunmen are not looking. Two men unpack automatic weapons and grenades from duffle bags in a hotel lobby; they open fire on people in the lobby and behind the reception desk killing anyone that moves (we see a lot of blood spray, bloody wounds, splatter and pools of blood on the floors). A gunman knocks on a room door and a man opens it and is shot (he falls to his knees) and we hear women inside the room screaming as they are shot also (we do not see them). A woman splattered with blood pushes into another woman's room and hides in the bathroom where she is discovered and shot as she pleads with the gunman (we see a lot of blood pool under her body in a few scenes). A man jumps out of a hotel window and we hear a loud crack as he lands screaming (we see what looks like his foot twisted unnaturally as he is helped away). Several people on a flight of stairs are gunned down (we see them tumble down with bloody wounds). A bound man frees himself and tries to stand up, but is shot in the shoulder (we see a lot of blood). A gunman shoots several hostages bound and lying on the floor in the head, one at a time (blood sprays); one hostage bites the leg of the gunman (he holds on and the gunman yells) and he is shot in the head (blood sprays).
► Special forces soldiers enter a hotel and shoot several gunmen, and other gunmen return fire and explosives are thrown to blow up others. Armed police officers enter a hotel searching for gunmen, a gunman throws a grenade among them killing several and the gunmen open fire on the rest (we see men thrown from the explosion and bloody bullet wounds open on their clothing). Two gunmen run through streets and are chased by police; they shoot at a vehicle with several officers inside killing them all and leaving blood on the windshield, then steal the car and speed away, shooting at people as they drive through a crowded city (we see victims with bloody wounds). A gunman is shot in the leg by police (we see his bloody wound and he yells). A man leaves a hotel restaurant where he is hiding with others to go find his infant son elsewhere in the hotel; he sees many dead bodies along the way and he sees a man shot as he crosses a hallway (blood sprays). A woman is held at gunpoint and told to call guests in the hotel to tell them that security is coming to their rooms; one guest opens her door and we hear her being shot, the woman calling refuses to call anyone else and she is shot (below the frame); another woman shoved to the floor and told to make the calls and is shot (below the frame) when she refuses. Gunmen shoot down a stairwell and several people are struck and tumble down the stairs (we see blood and hear screaming).
► A wounded woman screams and moans from her injuries (we see a lot of blood and we hear that she is bleeding into her chest cavity); she is led down a flight of stairs and she collapses, runs into the hall and is shot (we hear the gunfire and see her dead later). A man is struck in the face with a rifle butt and we see his bloody nose. A bound man is shown with blood on his face and shirt as he lies on the floor. A man is kicked in the legs and struck on the back with a gun. A man is punched and kicked several times and we understand that he has a broken rib.
► Men in stalls in a public restroom load automatic weapons with magazines of bullets, exit the restroom into a crowded train station and open fire (we hear shot ring out and see flashes of light; we later see news reports of many people (over 100) having been killed with bloody bodies and pools of blood on the floor. Explosions in a large hotel blow out glass from windows and we see smoke and flames burning. A man pours accelerant around and lights a match in a hotel.
► A man in an elevator hides behind a room service cart and two gunmen pick food of the trays; one gunman shoots into the elevator as the doors close (the man is unharmed). A woman caring for an infant hides in a closet and tries to keep the baby silent as two gunmen walk through their room and search for other people to kill. A woman caring for an infant hides in a shower stall and the baby screams and cries. A man is nearly struck by a taxi and he and the driver argue with yelling and pounding on the hood of the car. A crowd of people, some with bloody wounds and char smudges on their faces, run through the streets away from gunmen and they pound on the doors of a hotel, which are eventually opened and people are admitted. Many people run through a stairwell to a safe room within the hotel. A man shoots at a reinforced door and slams it with a heavy statue as people behind the door scream (he is unable to get in). A man and a woman are stopped by a gunman and led to a room where they are bound and forced to lie on the floor.
► We hear a TV news report that two gunmen were attacked by people and beaten with sticks in the street and we understand that one man was killed and we see the other in the hospital with blood on his head and face. We hear reports of chaos in a city and multiple bombings.
► Men chant "God is great" in several scenes before committing violent acts. We hear a man's voice over a telephone instructing several young men to commit acts of violence and telling them that "paradise awaits you," and "the world will be watching." A man on the telephone with a young man tells him to line people up in front of a window and "blow their brains out." A man on a telephone tells a young gunman, "We need more hostages," and, "We need rich hostages." We hear that a man is allergic to seafood. We hear that a man is a former officer in the Russian special forces. A man mocks another man and tells him that he raped his mother when he was in Afghanistan with the Russian special forces. A woman accuses another woman of speaking "that language" and being "one of them" when she demands to know who she was talking to on the telephone; they argue briefly and a man intervenes telling the woman to back off. A man tells another man that a woman is worried about his beard and head covering and asks him to remove the head covering; the man speaks to the woman and explains that the head covering is sacred and that he will remove it if it will make her more comfortable (she tells him not to). A young man cries and yells over the phone with his father. A man orders another man to leave his place of work for not wearing the right shoes; the second man pleads to be able to stay and he is loaned some shoes that are too small, causing him to limp.
► A man's feet are shown with bloody, broken blisters from wearing shoes that are too small. A man is shown with many ragged scars and tattoos on his chest and abdomen. A man stands in a public toilet and we see a hole in the floor (we see no waste). A man orders a beef hamburger and is reminded by his wife that cows are sacred in India. A man eats food off a room service cart and another man tells him to spit it out because it is pork; the first man spits and gags and drinks water to cleanse his mouth as the other man tells him he was joking. A man spits on another man who later spits back at him.
the review continues below...
Hotel Mumbai LANGUAGE 7
- About 21 F-words and its derivatives, 3 scatological terms, 5 anatomical terms, 1 mild obscenity, name-calling (she's sexy, infidels, knockouts, little butler man, animals, moron, dumb, dog, witch, pigs, stupid), exclamations (shut your [F-word deleted] mouth, shut-up), 13 religious exclamations (e.g. God Is With You, Oh My God, Thank God, God Is Great, Guest Is God, God Is Watching Over You, a Muslim prayer is recited). | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
Hotel Mumbai SUBSTANCE USE
- A man orders a cognac, a man and woman drink glasses of whiskey, a man and a woman drink glasses of whiskey, and a man orders a drink in a restaurant. A man smokes a cigarette in a hotel.
the review continues below...
Hotel Mumbai DISCUSSION TOPICS
- The Mumbai terrorist attacks of 2008, VIP guests, mindless violence, violence in the name of God, honor, courage, kismet.
Hotel Mumbai MESSAGE
- Mindless violence can happen anywhere, at any time and to anyone.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.