Gloria Bell | 2019 | R | – 7.3.6
Why is “Gloria Bell” rated R? The MPAA rating has been assigned for “sexuality, nudity, language and some drug use.” The Kids-In-Mind.com evaluation includes, several sex scenes with nudity, discussions of divorce, relationships, love and pregnancy, a few verbal arguments, a woman is robbed after getting very drunk, one encounter where paintballs are shot at a man and his house, a few scenes of marijuana use, and 13 F-words. Read our parents’ guide below for details on sexual content, violence & strong language.”
A free-spirited woman in her 50s (Julianne Moore) seeks romance at clubs around Los Angeles and when she meets a charming man (John Turturro) they fall in love. However, complications quickly arise as he continues to seem very attached to his family and won’t commit unconditionally. Also with Sean Astin, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Michael Cera, Brad Garrett, Holland Taylor, Rita Wilson and Caren Pistorius. Directed by Sebastián Lelio. [Running Time: 1:42]
Gloria Bell SEX/NUDITY 7
– A man and a woman look at each other from either end of a bar in a club, they move closer and talk, then dance and the scene cuts to her apartment where they kiss and undress (we see the woman’s bare breasts, side, abdomen and back and the man’s bare chest, abdomen and back); she removes a girdle from around his waist while they kiss and lie on the bed and he thrusts and they moan. A woman seated on the side of a bed removes her bra (we see her bare back), lies in bed with a man (we see her bare breasts and abdomen) and they kiss and caress (we see his bare back and shoulders) and he thrusts from behind her and she moans (we again see her bare breasts and abdomen). A man and woman kiss passionately and the scene cuts to the couple in bed (sex is implied) with the woman sitting up and topless (we see bare breasts and abdomen) and the man lying down partially under covers (we see his bare chest and abdomen). A man and woman go to Las Vegas together and check into a hotel room and after a brief discussion with his family on the phone, the woman takes her suitcase to leave; she stops at the door, drops her pants (we see her bare legs to the upper thighs), she pushes the man into a chair, removes his pants below the frame and his shirt (we see his bare chest), straddles him and thrusts while they both moan.
► A woman enters a casino and joins a woman and two men at a roulette table; one man puts his arm around her shoulder and we see them later at a bar drinking, on a tour bus kissing passionately and at a club dancing (they are both clearly intoxicated and the man caresses the woman’s cleavage). A man kisses a woman deeply at a restaurant. A man and a woman kiss tenderly in several scenes. A man kisses a woman’s hand at a bar and puts a ring on her finger; she tells him not to do that as they laugh.
► A woman enters a dance floor and speaks with a man saying that they haven’t seen each other since her divorce and they dance together. Men and women dance together in several club scenes. People dance and drink at a wedding reception.
► A man reads a poem of love to a woman and she cries. We understand that a woman is in the early stages of pregnancy and she says the baby is the size of an olive causing other people to put down olives they are about to eat.
► A fully nude woman lies on a bed with a cat positioned to block her genital area from view (we see bare breasts, abdomen and legs to the mid thighs). Three women wearing Vegas cabaret costumes that reveal their bare backs and legs to the hips walk on a sidewalk. A woman lies on a waxing table with her legs in position for a bikini wax (we see her bare legs to the mid thighs) and we hear tearing when wax is pulled off (she says “ouch” each time). A woman wearing a bra is shown washing her face in a bathroom and we see her cleavage, abdomen and back. Women wear low-cut dresses that reveal cleavage in several scenes throughout the movie. A woman wearing yoga togs is showing cleavage, back and abdomen. A woman showers (we see her bare shoulders) and a woman washes her bras and hangs them on hangers in a bathroom.
the review continues below...
Gloria Bell VIOLENCE/GORE 3
- A woman carries a paintball gun toward a man outside his house, she opens fire on the house splattering red paint on the walls and breaking a window, and then shoots the man several times and he falls to the ground yelling (we see red paint on his shirt and pants); three women from inside the house come out yelling at her.
► A man says that his ex-wife walked through a plate glass window and has cuts on her legs (we see her with bandages and on crutches later). A man pounds on a woman's apartment door and yells, she tells him to go away and he eventually does. A woman yells at a man when he stands outside her car in a parking garage; she gets in the car and speeds away as he yells for her and chases the car. After getting very drunk with a man she does not know, a woman wakes up in a poolside chaise lounge and it seems as though she has been robbed (we see her with only one shoe and no phone or purse). A woman drops a man's cellphone in his bowl of soup trying to get him to not answer when his adult daughter calls.
► We watch a video of a big wave surfer and see him overrun by a wave (he is not harmed). A man yells and pounds on a table feeling guilty about not being there for his children (he and his wife divorced). A man spins a woman on a carousel and we hear him fall off and onto the ground with a thud (we do not see him). A woman moans and puts her head in her shopper bag. After smoking a marijuana cigarette in her home, we see a woman with her head on a coffee table (she's OK).
► People talk about gun ownership and whether or not gun owners tend to be responsible. A woman speaks to a client on the phone about a car accident. A man talks about his partner being in the desert "finding herself." Two women talk about losing money from their 401Ks after a market crisis. We hear that a man had gastric bypass surgery and lost a lot of weight; we hear that he has trouble digesting some things. A woman tells the story of Noah and the Ark and describes how cats came to be; she says a mouse was instructed to tap a lion on the head three times and it disappeared after two cats came out of its nose. A woman tells her adult daughter, "Life just goes by in a flash." A woman calls her landlord when she hears her upstairs neighbor (the landlord's adult son) yelling and saying, "I want to die," and "Don't be born." A man says, "I was drowning," referring to his married life. A man says, "Men like to play war." A man argues with his two adult daughters over the telephone in a few scenes and we understand that one of them has had an accident in one scene (she's OK). A woman's adult son asks her about her new boyfriend and says, "Who is this guy? Who are you with?" A woman tells a man, "We could be dead tomorrow." A man talks to a woman on the phone about their infant son's defecation.
► A woman drops her adult daughter at the airport, they hug and cry; she races around to the parking lot, goes back into the terminal to watch her walk away and sobs. A man leaves a party and does not tell anyone causing his date to worry and try to find him; she leaves him many messages and he does not reply for days. A man excuses himself from a restaurant dinner with a woman and does not return. A woman finds a neighbor's cat in her apartment in several scenes and picks it up and puts it out in the hall. A woman leaves an office carrying a box of her possessions (presumably fired or eliminated). A woman is diagnosed with glaucoma and prescribed eye drops. A man reaches for his adult daughter's hand and she pulls away. A woman is offered some marijuana and she declines saying that she is afraid she might lose control.
► A man and a woman take target practice with paintball guns and we see red paint splattered on human target forms. A woman swings in a full body harness off the ground and screams with joy. Several women practice laughing while standing up; they then lie in a pile on the floor and continue to laugh with their heads resting on each other's abdomens. A street entertainer makes a marionette skeleton dance to music and people give him money.
► A woman tweezes a hair from her chin. A woman brushes her teeth and sits in the sink (we see saliva and foam).
the review continues below...
Gloria Bell LANGUAGE 6
- About 13 F-words, 5 scatological terms, 1 anatomical term, 4 mild obscenities, name-calling (old lady), 3 religious exclamations (e.g. God Bless Him, Thank God, Oh My God). | profanity glossary |
the review continues below...
Gloria Bell SUBSTANCE USE
- A woman takes a prescription pill before going to sleep, a woman finds a plastic bag with drugs (it looks like marijuana) in it outside her apartment door, a woman asks another woman if she wants some weed (she declines) and the first woman smokes from a vape, a woman smokes a marijuana cigarette in her home in a few scenes, a woman uses prescription eye drops in a few scenes (for glaucoma), a woman smokes a marijuana cigarette in her car, and a man on the phone with his adult daughter says that "she should take her pills." A woman stands at a bar in a club and drinks from what looks like a martini and then carries it with her onto the dance floor, many people in a crowded club are shown with alcoholic beverages (some are seated, some stand at the bar and some are dancing on the dance floor), people drink wine with dinner, people drink at a wedding reception, people drink a toast at a man's birthday party, a woman drinks wine on a plane, a woman guzzles a martini and smokes a cigarette at a bar, and a man and woman at a restaurant drink wine in a few scenes. A woman smokes while standing on a sidewalk outside a yoga studio, two women smoke cigarettes outside an office, a woman tells her adult daughter that she's pleased the daughter has quit smoking (she hasn't), and woman smokes a cigarette in her car
the review continues below...
Gloria Bell DISCUSSION TOPICS
- Divorce, relationships, trust, family, 401Ks, changing one's life, being alone, obsession, order and balance, love, move far from home.
Gloria Bell MESSAGE
- Starting new romantic relationships can be challenging.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.