Funny Pages | 2022 | R | – 7.4.9
A high school senior (Daniel Zolghadri) decides that with one semester left, school is not for him and that he will pursue his art on his own. This leads to encounters with unusual characters that may be able to help him — or may derail him completely. Also with Matthew Maher, Miles Emanuel, Maria Dizzia, Josh Pais, Stephen Adly Guirgis and Marcia DeBonis. Directed by Owen Kline. [Running Time: 1:26]
Funny Pages SEX/NUDITY 7
– A man masturbates in a room and we see and hear rhythmic movement (we do not see nudity). A man on a bed seems to be asleep and we see him wearing a T-shirt and briefs that reveal part of his genitals. A teen looks at a comic featuring people having sex and we see line drawings of male and female genitals and penetration as well as bare breasts; images like this are seen in several comics and scenes throughout the movie (e.g. a cartoon drawing shows a man being lifted off the ground by balloons tied to his penis and nipples). A comic shows a drawing of the mutilation of male genitals. A comic depicting a woman with bare breasts and a man suckling from her nipple is shown.
► A man asks a teen boy (his student) to draw him and he removes his clothing and stands on a table (we see his bare buttocks, back, chest and abdomen); the teen rushes out of the room when an alarm goes off.
► When a man comes into a bathroom where his teen son and a man are arguing, the man asks the other man, “Are you funny?” (presumably a sexual implication). A woman tells a teen boy, “You are truly delicious.”
Funny Pages VIOLENCE/GORE 4
– A car slams head-on into another car and we see the driver of the second car dead with something sticking out of his chest and blood on his face. A man and a teen boy wrestle over a drawing and the man stabs the teen in the head with a pen; we see it sticking out of the boy’s head as he screams and we see blood trickle down his head and face. A man speeds in a car and crashes into a closed garage door breaking it; a teen boy chases the man and the man punches him in the face, throws him to the ground and kicks him a couple of times (we see a bruise on his cheek).
► A teen boy throws an inflated toy horse at a man behind a pharmacy counter and the man falls back into shelves of medications yelling (we don’t see injuries). Two teen boys break into a dead man’s apartment and take some items; the police arrive and one teen stands on the fire escape where he is arrested (we see him at the police station). A man tells his teen son that he forbids him to go upstairs where another man is; the teen pushes past his father and they tussle briefly on the stairs.
► A teen boy goes to an apartment to rent it and realizes that it is a room in a basement that he will be sharing with two men; we see a fish tank filled with green water, we understand that the room is very warm and see the men looking very sweaty in a few scenes; one man tells the teen that he mustn’t tell anyone that he is living there. A woman in a drugstore asks a teen boy to get her a Percocet and becomes upset when he tells her that he cannot do that. A teen boy’s car breaks down and he yells and curses. A man washes his feet in a bathroom and yells when a teen boy comes into the room; they argue and the man breaks the bathroom window. A man convinces a teen boy to make another man upset enough to become violent while being recorded for evidence. A teen boy insults another teen boy’s art. A man at a gas station tells a teen boy, “Your car is smoking,” and he thinks it’s a compliment but the car is actually smoking. A lawyer talks to a man about his “outburst” in a drugstore; she advises him that not showing up for his court date will guarantee him prison time. A man talks about a violent atmosphere in a drugstore. A teen boy is dismissive about a gift he is given by his parents. A man tells a teen boy that he failed at a task. A teen boy and his parents argue about finishing high school and going to college. A teen boy tells a woman that a man didn’t like her very much and he storms out of the office and leaves school. A woman yells at a man to take off his shoes before stepping on a rug; he takes off his shoe and we see a dirty sock with a hole in the toe. A man in a car drives along a street following a teen boy and asking him to get in the car to give him a ride to his job; the man asks the teen if he had freaked him out earlier. A man tells a teen boy not to go to college and that he would be wasting his time and talent. A man says that he urinated in a car and was accosted by police. A man yells, “Don’t come in, I’m making,” when another man knocks on a bathroom door. A teen boy eats pork rinds and another teen says that he is disgusting and complains about the teen’s acne being a symptom of refusing to grow up.
► A comic shows a drawing of the mutilation of male genitals. A man asks a teen boy (his student) to draw him (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details). A cartoon drawing shows a man being lifted off the ground by balloons tied to his penis and nipples.
► A teen boy chews a lot of food in his mouth while talking. A teen boy goes to a public restroom and sees a man bathing in a sink. A man picks his long and discolored toenail.
► A teen boy is startled in a store and falls back onto a display of greeting cards. A teen boy steals money from his mother’s wallet.
Funny Pages LANGUAGE 9
– About 47 F-words, 17 scatological terms, 11 anatomical terms, 6 mild obscenities, name-calling (stupidest, condescending, garbage, insane, vulgar, disgusting, subversive, mess, crude, ratty, creep, soulless creep, amateur, spoiled brat, hotshot, pedophiles, pathetic, schmuck, horrible man, sick, twisted, propaganda, unhinged, crazy, ungrateful, measly, cheating, egghead, dishonest), exclamations (no big deal, great, cool your jets, shut-up), 2 religious profanities (GD), 12 religious exclamations (e.g. Holy [scatological term deleted], Jesus, my God, oh my God). | profanity glossary |
Funny Pages SUBSTANCE USE
– A woman in a drugstore asks a teen boy to get her a Percocet and becomes upset when he tells her that he cannot do that. Two men drink from the same glass of wine and share it with a teen boy. A man smokes in a school office, and a man smokes in his car.
Funny Pages DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Pursuing art, parenting, continuing education, finding your path, growing up, independence, discretion, imagination, craft.
Funny Pages MESSAGE
– Making life choices is hard.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.