47 Meters Down | 2017 | PG-13 | - 2.6.5
Two adventurous sisters (Mandy Moore and Clair Holt) vacation in Mexico and plan to swim with sharks. Diving underwater in a steel shark cage, they face great whites in safety but when their cage breaks away from their boat, they plunge further into the deep, their oxygen runs low, and they become desperate for help. Also with Chris J. Johnson, Yani Gellman, Santiago Segura and Matthew Modine. Directed by Johannes Roberts. Several lines of dialogue are spoken in Spanish and are not translated. [1:29]
- Two women wear rubber diving suits that hug their figures (we see bare legs up to the tight rubber mid-thigh shorts on one woman and to the bathing suit-like bottom of the other woman, whose buttocks are partially revealed). A woman at a pool wears a string bikini that reveals cleavage, bare back, abdomen and buttocks as she swims. A woman wears a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage. A woman wears a sleeveless shirt with large armholes that reveal the side of one breast. A dozen women in a club scene wear V-neck tops that show some cleavage and some short skirts. Two women wear dresses that reveal cleavage at deeply cut necklines. A few men are shirtless.
► Two women meet two men at a club and spend the night dancing on a beach; in the morning, one man and one woman kiss briefly and the other woman avoids a man's kiss, walks away and then returns to kiss him for several seconds. Two men hug two women.
► A woman says that her boyfriend broke up with her because she is not fun and she cries briefly. A woman tells another woman, "Guys are always chasing after you."
- Two women in the ocean light a flare that illuminates two 50-foot sharks with gaping mouths and large sharp teeth on either side of them and the flare burns out as they scream; a shark chases them to the surface, biting the bloody thigh of one woman and both women scream as men aboard a boat throw a life preserver and begin to pull the women out of the water; the shark bites into the other woman's leg (she screams), the men pull both women onto the boat and we see one woman's cut palm bleeding and one leg missing from the lower thigh to the foot (the thigh is split and black with blood; we don't see muscle or other tissue) while the other woman's legs are both covered in blood and the injury is unclear.
► A woman leaves a shark cage and we hear a voice shouting incoherently over her diving headset as something churns the water, and we see blood darken the water and the voice stops.
► A woman exits a diving cage and swims upward, when a large shark chases her, opening its mouth and showing rows of large, sharp teeth as it rushes; the woman screams and returns to the cage, where the shark slams against it and bites it bending two metal bars and we see a bar crack in close-up as we hear metal creaking and groaning. Two air tanks are sent down into deep water to two women whose tanks are running low; one woman changes her tank as a shark passes above her twice and she screams as we see a close-up of the open mouth and huge sharp teeth. A woman in a shark cage cries, gasps, and uses a rock to try to dig her leg out from under a cage bar as something churns the water outside. Two great white sharks swim close to a diving cage twice, bang against it, and snap at two women's arms and legs inside the cage. Two sharks swim close to a diving cage twice and one woman asks to be taken up to the boat, but the other woman talks her out of it as we hear some type of animal howling off-screen.
► A woman reaches for a harpoon gun in a diving cage and it fires to slash a long cut into the palm of one hand as she screams and blood drifts up through water. A woman in a diving tank uses a harpoon to hook an air tank and brings it into the cage on the fourth try, grunting and gasping as her oxygen runs out. In a hallucination, a woman puts a life vest under a diving cage bar and inflates it to release her trapped leg as she hears the voice of another woman in her headset, but we cannot see the woman; the first woman frees her leg and we see a wide blood stained area from knee to ankle on the shin as she screams in close-up. A woman leaves a diving cage to find another woman with blood drifting up from an open slash on the second woman's leg (we see only the blood); the first woman pulls the second woman toward the surface as blood rises from her own cut hand and the other woman's cut leg. A diving cage descends quickly after its cable breaks and it swings left and right and slams hard to the ocean floor, smashing a woman's leg between bars and the rocky bottom; the woman shouts in pain and we see widespread bruising on the thigh.
► A diving cage drops a few feet as the metal cable clunks loudly and we hear metal groaning; a close-up shows the cable unraveling and breaking as two women in the cage scream, the cage drops several yards, stops, and then drops fast to slam to the ocean floor about 150 feet below the surface followed by two large metal flanges and one lands on top of the cage and one on the ocean floor (we see the women unconscious for several seconds, but revive and scream for several seconds, then shout for help). A woman attempts to leave a diving cage, but her face mask is too large, so she removes it, holds her breath, slides out, struggles to replace the mask and then struggles to remove a piece of metal that has blocked the cage door. A woman swims to retrieve a flashlight floating in the distance and a shark chases her, she hides under a rock ledge and the creature sticks its face into the opening and snaps with huge sharp teeth (it is unsuccessful). A woman grabs a flashlight and finds a harpoon gun attached to a rubber suit and we see the undamaged torso of the suit (we hear later that it belonged to a man who died and we see no blood); later, we see a flash of what might be a body part or something else, but it is blurred.
► A woman in a diving cage shouts, "I can't breathe! I'm so scared! I'm gonna die down here. They left us down here!" several times. Several scenes feature two women in a diving cage screaming wildly at each other in a panic, then calming and giggling. Two women in a shark cage scream into their scuba microphones and look frightened. Loud throbbing music sounds during several scenes. Two women argue about going anywhere with strangers or not. Two women look nervous as they enter a diving cage and descend into the ocean as a man on a boat talks to them through headsets, warning them of getting "the bends" if they ascend too quickly later. A woman tells another woman in a diving cage, "Do not go straight up. You will die." A man tells two women that they can suffer nitrogen narcosis or "the bends" and hallucinate with nitrogen bubbles in the brain. A woman hyperventilates before entering a diving cage, but recovers (she had lied that she had scuba diving experience). Two women discover that their tourist boat for shark viewing is old, dirty, dented, and rusted in many places; the diving cage is rusted red all around.
► A woman goes below deck on a boat and we see her lean over a sink below the frame and hear her vomit; she comes up and wipes her mouth with a cloth, but we see no vomit. A man shows two women a bucket filled with fish heads, fish intestines, and blood and the women gag, but do not see vomit. A man empties a bucket of fish parts and blood into the sea to bring sharks, blood and fish heads cloud the water, and after a few seconds, a shark fin appears and circles the boat. Beyond a diving cage we see a few streams of blood and small amounts of fish flesh stream by. A man spits a seed into the water in close-up.
- At least 1 F-word, 2 scatological terms, name-calling (crazy, insane, boring, trubajo), 27 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, Oh God, My God, Thank God).
- A woman in an inflatable pool chair holds a glass of wine that spills into the water (resembling a cloud of blood in close-up), two women sip from glasses of wine in a café, a club scene shows men and women holding mixed cocktails and beer bottles, men and women in a group drink shots of clear liquor and several empty shot glasses litter their table, two women sip from Margaritas and two men sip from beer bottles in a toast, and tables in a club have one or two glasses of mixed drinks each on them.
- Adventure vacations, Mexico, poorly maintained tourist attractions, water safety, scuba diving, the bends, dangerous sea creatures, risk taking, interacting with strangers, fear, claustrophobia, panic, determination, working together, survival, death, loss.
- Be careful what you attempt on vacations in foreign places, especially with strangers.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.