Evan Almighty | 2007 | PG | - 2.2.3
Morgan Freeman, as the God from "Bruce Almighty," visits Evan (Steve Carell), a newly elected congressman who plans to change the world. When he prays for help to make it happen, it comes as a delivery of ancient tools, large quantities of lumber and a directive from God to build a Ark. Also with Lauren Graham, John Goodman and Jimmy Bennett. Directed by Tom Shadyac. [1:30]
- A husband and wife kiss, and a husband and wife lie in bed together talking.
► A man walks outside his house and although he was wearing clothing when he was in the house he is now nude (we see his bare chest and abdomen) and a postal worker reacts to his nudity. A man covered with bubbles and bandages sits in a tub (his bare shoulders and chest are visible). A woman wears a low-cut top that reveals cleavage.
► A man tells another man that his left nipple is higher than his right nipple. A man tells another man that he is growing his hair long because he is "trying to spice up his love life." A young man tells a man, "I love you" (it appears to be from admiration but the other man is uncomfortable with the comment). A boy talks about the size of an animal's reproductive organ. A theater marquee reads "40 Year Old Virgin Mary."
- A boat floats along a fast moving river, it crashes into houses, falls over a waterfall and nearly crashes into a bridge before stopping at a marble wall, while people on the boat are shown being thrown back and forth, and water washes over them but no one is injured.
► The wall of a dam breaks, a wall of water floods toward a housing development, and people run screaming onto a boat.
► Two lions snarl and snap at a newscaster who runs away screaming. Two wolves snarl and bare their teeth at a man.
► Many animals (including carnivores like bears and lions, etc.) follow a man into a large room filled with people; the people run out screaming, the man is forcibly removed from the room (he yells and protests) and several birds defecate on another man's suit and head.
► A man drops a log on his foot and screams, he falls off a high pile of lumber a couple of times, and he hammers his hand several times (he screams each time). A man strikes his head on a beam after a dog nuzzles his crotch. A man collapses on the floor and then on a bench. A man slams into an elevator door accidentally.
► A man screams and panics when he keeps seeing another man appearing out of nowhere. Two snakes and two tarantulas crawl on a man (he screams and shakes them off). A man screams when his wife pulls out a splinter from his finger.
► Two birds defecate on a man's windshield. A dog defecates on a lawn (we see goo). Many birds fly into a man's office, perch on his head, shoulders and arms, one bird pecks at his hand a couple of times and two defecate on his jacket. An Alpaca spits on a man's face (we see green goo as it drips down the man's face). A dog nuzzles a man's crotch several times. A man cuts, tweezes and shaves his nose hairs with yelps of pain.
► A man talks about a baby being cute especially because its mother is "such an ugly woman." A man tells another man to imagine having cookouts with another man and to imagine him "eating your hot dog." A man tells animals, "when you're on my land, keep it in your pot." A teenage boy says at a dinner table, "I hope this isn't our last supper."
► A man is insulting and mean to a stray dog (he calls it names and takes water away from it).
► Police officers threaten to forcibly remove a man and his family from a large boat. Animals and birds surround and follow a man as he drives, walks on sidewalks and into buildings in several scenes.
- 1 scatological term, 1 clinical scatological term, a man yells "sheep" in frustration, 2 anatomical terms, name-calling (ugly, stalker, insane, loco, jerks, Captain Ahab, fool, stupid), 4 religious exclamations.
- A woman opens a bottle of champagne (we don't see anyone drinking), and we see two glasses of wine on a dinner table and an open bottle (no one is shown drinking). A woman asks a man if he is "shooting up Rogaine."
- Politics, destroying natural resources for profit, making a difference, Hummers, old-growth trees felled to make kitchen cabinets, believing in each other, stalking, greed, self-sacrifice, disappointment, wisdom, instinct, profiteering, random acts of kindness, trust, faith, progress, insanity, mid-life crises, power and responsibility.
- We each have the power to change the world, one act of random kindness at a time.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.