Drunk Parents | 2020 | R | – 5.5.10
A middle class couple (Alec Baldwin and Salma Hayek) living beyond their means are about to go bankrupt, and with their daughter (Michelle Veintimilla) at an Ivy League college they can’t afford, they try to sell everything they own and rent their home. Their judgment clouded by alcohol, they end up renting to a registered sex offender (Jim Gaffigan). Also with Joe Manganiello, Natalia Cigliuti, Treat Williams and Ben Platt. Directed by Fred Wolf. Several lines of dialogue are in Spanish without translation. [Running Time: 1:37]
Drunk Parents SEX/NUDITY 5
– A preteen boy wears a shirt and a woman’s Spanx and climbs into bed where a man and a woman are asleep; he places the man’s arm around his own waist and pulls the woman’s foot over the man and onto his own hip and he whimpers into a walkie-talkie to his father that he is being molested, causing his father to storm in, yelling; the woman jumps up wearing tights and a long T-shirt covered with a photo of a nude woman’s torso around which a man’s hands come from the back and cover the breasts and the father tells the couple to leave. A preteen boy tells a man and a woman that if they “do stuff” while sleeping in his twin bed for the night, they must wash the sheets (he makes a sexual hand gesture).
► A husband and his wife enter their house and she pushes him down to sit on the couch, sits on him and kisses him briefly before leaving the room; the man pulls down his trousers to the ankles and the doorbell rings, so he pulls them back up and fastens them and while speaking to two men at the door, the wife enters the room wearing a lace bra, underwear and an open short robe, she screams, and runs out of the room (we briefly see cleavage, part of her bare abdomen, and bare legs to the hips). A husband and his wife embrace and kiss for a few seconds on a sidewalk.
► A woman jumps onto a man engulfed in flames (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details) and he says erotically, “Get on me. Grind me like a cigarette butt.” A woman wears a slim knee-length dress that reveals cleavage and when she walks away from the camera and bends down like a runner at the starting line, three men say they like how she looks (her buttocks are outlined in the dress). A man helps a woman by pushing on her bottom to get her into the attic and she shouts to be careful.
► A college freshman flirts with a 40-something man, telling him if she were a shark, she would eat him up like a seal. A man tells a woman that he had been swimming in the ocean when had to urinate, and he lowered his trunks when he felt a shark brush his legs; he swam to shore and stood up naked, where kids on the beach began screaming, and that’s why he was convicted of molestation. A man and his parole officer visit a neighbor’s house and report that the man is a registered sex offender (the homeowner is surprised and a bit upset). A woman packs her underwear in a bag and gestures to her groin area, shouting that she does not want her renter to put his [DNA] onto her private things; she tells her husband to also hide his underwear. A man tells a woman that he refilled her birth control pills and she grimaces. A woman says that she and her husband made sex videos (we do not see them). A man says that a woman is having oral sex with someone (we do not see this). A preteen boy shakes a walkie-talkie by its antenna and says it is like a limp penis.
► A shirtless man wearing tights (we see his bare chest and a large bulge in his groin area) dances around.
Drunk Parents VIOLENCE/GORE 5
– Three men wearing pantyhose masks punch and kick a man and restrain his screaming wife and take them to an isolated place where we see the couple with socks gagging them (they look like phalluses hanging from their mouths) as one man films them and he says that he found the woman looking at pictures of a young girl in a leotard and is a sex molester, and yells, “Die perverts,” as he shoots a rifle next to the husband, into the ground (the man goes deaf temporarily). A man walks through an office computer room where three men are watching a video of a kidnapped man and woman and a captor yelling at them and shooting at the man; it goes viral.
► Two men wearing pantyhose masks charge at a man and his wife on a street and a man in a wheelchair rolls forward and points two taser pistols at the attackers, as two preteen boys appear, argue, curse, and wrestle away the guns and shoot the attackers twice, making them convulse for several seconds each time; a man knocks the attackers’ heads together, drives away in his van screeching the tires, leaving the attackers unmoving on the pavement.
► A man chases a moving truck through light traffic, it stops, the man hits the driver in the head with a rock, causing him to fall out onto the street, and the driver recovers and charges toward the man when a bicyclist hits him, knocking him down again; the first man then drives away in the truck. A woman breaks the dog flap on her back door and climbs into her house where a man screams and sprays her with pepper spray; the scene cuts to her lying on a couch with a sleep mask over her eyes, without damage. A woman shouts angrily when she sees that her renter turned her walk-in closet into a panic room, and he locks her in the room, she kicks him in the groin, and he bends over grunting and moaning. A man finds a teen girl in the house and points pepper spray at her, but puts it down. A man chokes another man and a woman hits the attacker on the head with a trash can, the attacker falls, gets up and runs toward the woman, but a police car with siren and flashing lights arrives, and two officers point guns at the three people and they lie face down on the ground; the scene cuts to the three people in jail cells.
► Two men catch fire in different scenes, running away totally engulfed in flames; the first man screams, falls, and woman jumps onto him beating out the fire with a blanket, and the second man screams, and another man puts out the flames with an extinguisher (we see char smudges on both men but no burns).
► A man tells another man, “I hope a train falls on your face,” and the second man replies, “Go siphon some gas and light a cigarette, bum.” Three men call another man “pervert” and he rushes outside. A man tells another man that he’d like to punch him in the face and kick him in the groin. Two men argue several times, and a man and a woman argue for several seconds. A woman yells at a man renting her house loudly several times. A man at an airline counter says angrily, “Pull the trigger on my luggage,” and the clerk has two security guards take him away. A man and a woman walk along a dark road and he asks her if she wears Spanx over her tights and she says, “Yes, I am double-spanking.” A man says he’d like to have tight Spanx around his neck (to commit suicide). A man says that he has thought of suicide because of his lifetime of losses. We hear that small businesspeople have gone bankrupt, people have lost their homes and are homeless, and after a couple separated, the wife could only find work as a retail clerk at a department store. A man mocks a wheelchair bound man for living with his mother. A wealthy woman laughs about a neighbor who can only find work as a retail clerk. Two preteen boys grimace and curse at adults. A character refers to someone having “puked.” A man says his wife has diarrhea from eating a cat food sandwich and she is on the throne “blowing brown,” (we do not see this).
► A man smoking a cigarette gets a spider in his mouth, his wife yells, and he gags several times; she jumps on his back and does the Heimlich maneuver, hits him on the back with a snow shovel, and slams a spider on the pavement with the shovel and we see a brown glob (we hear that the spider is poisonous, but no one gets sick). Small spiders cover a woman’s face and dress and she screams, rolling on the floor, her husband takes over her Spanx that are over her tights (we see her buttocks outlined in the tights), she gets up and rushes away and we see her tights drop down below the knees under a knee-length dress and we see her face later looking like she has chicken pox. A husband and his wife live in the back of a furniture moving truck in an alley and two men try to siphon gas from the truck.
Drunk Parents LANGUAGE 10
– About 57 F-words and its derivatives, 7 sexual references, 34 scatological terms, 22 anatomical terms, 23 mild obscenities, 1 derogatory term for homosexuals, name-calling (crazy, dumb, stupid, insane, moron, weird, idiot, psychos, fake, bums, gross, quisling, useless, good-for-nothing, stuck-up, pigs, lady, perverts, deviants, fish face, spoiled brat, nuisance, fruit salad, Lord [scatological term deleted], Senor [scatological term deleted], Flintstones, Ironsides, Pop Tarts, Adolf [anatomical term deleted], Superman, Mr. and Mrs. Chappo), exclamations (suck, shut-up, darn, heck, wow, jeez), 1 religious profanity (GD), 48 religious exclamations (e.g. Oh My God, God, Jesus, Jesus H. Christ, Jesus Christ, Sweet Christ, Good sweet Christ, Good God, Good Lord, Thank God, Please God, God knows, For God’s Sakes, For The Love Of Christ, I Love God, Sent By God, Kneel Before Your God, Holy [scatological term deleted], Man Plans And God Laughs, Amen). | profanity glossary |
Drunk Parents SUBSTANCE USE
– A woman says that her ancestor warriors used to ingest coca, we hear that a man was hauling 120 kilos of expensive cocaine in his vehicle and later see him in jail (we do not see any drugs), a wife tells her husband that they may see Oompa-Loompas on speed and when they see preteen twin boys she says they are Oompa-Loompas on angel dust, and a college-aged teen girl says that she needs 12 billion aspirin and an ounce (of drugs). A man and a woman sit on a couch in their front yard and drink whiskey from coffee mugs, a woman drinks from a sports bottle filled with vodka, a man steals an expensive bottle of wine from a neighbor’s wine cellar and drinks it all with a woman, a woman drinks some wine from a bottle and stumbles and falls (she is uninjured), a man asks another man if he has been drinking and the woman says he has, a woman with a shopping cart in a grocery store stumbles and hits a vegetable display and then slurs her words while talking to a friend and we see three large wine boxes in the woman’s cart, a wife and her husband drink wine in an empty swimming pool, a husband and his wife drink short glasses of whiskey, and a husband and his wife discover that they placed a rental ad while they were drunk and do not remember it. A man lights and smokes a cigarette in his driveway twice as well as in the back of a panel truck and in two front yards, and a man lights two cigarettes and he and his wife each smoke one.
Drunk Parents DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Conspicuous consumption, economic recessions, job loss, foreclosures, bankruptcies, financial hardship, homelessness among the middle class, corrupt businessmen, smug rich opportunists, expensive colleges, mocking the less fortunate, understanding, sympathy, friendship, helping others, starting one’s own business, second chances, the importance of a college education, sex offenders, pedophilia, alcoholism, dealing drugs.
Drunk Parents MESSAGE
– Alcohol consumption increases the desperate behavior of despairing people during economic recessions.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.