Brazen | 2022 | TV-14 | – 5.6.3
Based on the Nora Roberts’ novel “Brazen Virtue”: After her sister is murdered, a mystery writer (Alyssa Milano) uses her literary skills to solve the crime with help from a police detective (Sam Page), and they have to confront the dangers of searching for a serial killer. Also with Colleen Wheeler, Emilie Ullerup, Malachi Weir and Lossen Chambers. Directed by Monika Mitchell. [Running Time: 1:35]
Brazen SEX/NUDITY 5
– As a man and a woman embrace, kiss and remove each other’s shirts, they moan (we see his bare shoulders and chest and her bare shoulders) and we see them next morning lying under a blanket on a couch (we see his bare shoulders and her bare shoulders); they kiss twice and lie down below the frame and sex is implied. A man and a woman kiss in a half a dozen scenes.
► On a laptop screen there are several smaller screens of sex worker performances that include long shots of women dressed in miniskirts and bustiers, as well as a kneeling man writhing while wearing a metal collar with a heavy chain attached to it and leading off-screen; another screen shows a man from the waist up, dancing and writhing close to the camera. A few videos show different women in a dimly-lit bedroom wearing a top that reveals cleavage, a miniskirt cut to mid-thighs, gloves and a mask as she snaps a whip loudly into a webcam and shouts, “Louder, I can’t hear you! Say it! Say ‘This is what I want’.” A woman in a dimly lit bedroom wears a tight long-sleeved top with a deeply scooped neckline and a push-up bra (we see cleavage); she bends forward to show off her cleavage to a webcam. A scene at a website company headquarters shows several screens featuring sex workers on a wall.
► A woman tells a detective that her husband takes their children out for the evening when she does sex work performances. A teen boy tells two detectives that his female teacher was “hot” and his father tells him to be quiet. We hear that two teen boys are lovers. A woman police captain tells a detective to be careful about becoming romantically involved with a woman whose sister was killed.
► A woman is found dead (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details) and we see her wearing a mask and top with a micro-mini skirt, leather stockings and garters. A woman ends her sex performance session and padlocks the room shut. A woman in a sex performance ensures a pistol is loaded, and snaps a whip toward a webcam twice as the scene ends.
► A woman wears a sleeveless sheer blouse with a bra underneath and we see cleavage. A teen boy removes his shirt in front of two detectives and we see his bare chest and arms.
Brazen VIOLENCE/GORE 6
– A woman in a darkened bedroom hears glass breaking off-screen and startles as a teen boy enters the room, removes his ski mask and begins taunting and yelling, they argue and he attacks, trying to strangle her as we see the two people roll across a bed and across the floor as they punch, struggle and shout; the woman picks up a pistol the boy dropped as a man enters the room and shoots the boy twice (we hear shots and see bright flashes of light from the gun barrel as the boy drops to the floor; we do not see the boy again). A woman is attacked in a dark room by a man with a knife and we hear grunting, shouting and a few punches as the man and woman roll on the floor; the woman takes the knife, slashes the man (we do not see the injury) and the man runs away. A flashback shows a woman in a dark room as a man places a wire over her head and begins strangling her; we hear gasping and yelping as the scene ends.
► A man looks at a laptop screen we do not see and we hear punching and screaming; the camera cuts to the man telling a detective that he called 911 after seeing what he thought was a brutal attack. A laptop screen shows a man throwing a woman to the floor below the screen, punching her several times below the screen, and then pulling her head up and smashing it to the floor below the screen three times; he also appears to be strangling her.
► A woman is found dead on a bedroom floor, her body arranged as if in crucifixion (we see no blood or injury) and we hear that a ligature was used to strangle her. A woman dressed in black (please see the Sex/Nudity category for more details) is found dead on a bedroom floor and arranged as if in crucifixion in a long shot (we hear that she was strangled; we do not see blood or marks). A woman finds another woman dead on her bedroom floor (there are no visible injuries), panics, screams, hyperventilates and runs to her next-door neighbor; we later see a police car with flashing lights parked outside and crime scene tape around the house.
► A man with a pistol charges into a convenience store and tries to hold up the cashier until another man grabs him, takes him to the floor and subdues him after a struggle; two police officers arrest the robber. Two detectives and four uniformed officers with drawn pistols search a woman’s house to arrest someone as she shouts and objects, but the police find that the person has left the house. Police question a teenager who has a bandage on his arm and he denies attacking a woman.
► Two teen boys wrestle at school, one using an aggressive chokehold on the other and they later argue in the locker room; one boy says the other boy is obsessed with his female teacher and the second boy punches him, he lands off-screen and we hear shouting and more punching; the scene cuts to a hospital room where the beaten boy is shown with cuts and bruises covering his face. A man and a woman argue and she punches him in the face without causing an injury.
► A woman and a few different men argue in several scenes. A woman and a teen boy argue briefly. A woman says a book she wrote is about a woman who was beaten to a pulp and left to die in a pool of her own blood. A woman at a church funeral gives a tearful eulogy. A minister calls for a prayer we do not hear as the scene ends.
Brazen LANGUAGE 3
– 1 scatological term, 1 mild obscenity, name-calling (dead hooker, old), exclamations (wow, I swear), 7 religious exclamations (e.g. oh my God, God, thank God, son of God, Christ). | profanity glossary |
Brazen SUBSTANCE USE
– A woman says she was addicted to pills and lost custody of her young son. Two women in a home pour and sip from glasses of wine, a woman at home has a glass of wine in front of her but does not drink it, an empty restaurant table holds two glasses of wine, and a man and a woman sip from beer bottles.
Brazen DISCUSSION TOPICS
– Sex fantasy websites, sadomasochism, obsession, mental illness, secrets, parenting, control issues, violence, murder, death, serial killers, danger, fear, courage, cooperation, justice.
– Mental health issues must be addressed before they become deadly.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $1/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.