Allied | 2016 | R | - 6.7.6
In 1942 a Canadian intelligence officer (Brad Pitt) falls in love with and marries a French Resistance fighter (Marion Cotillard). He then learns that his wife may be a covert agent for the Axis Powers and he must execute her. Unconvinced, he begins his own high risk investigation. Also with Lizzy Caplan, Jared Harris and Matthew Goode. Directed by Robert Zemeckis. Many lines of dialogue are in French with English subtitles and a few lines of dialogue in French and German are not translated. [1:57]
- A clothed man and a woman kiss while lying on a bed and he lies on top of her as she opens her legs, he removes his shirt and lies between her knees; we see his bare back as he thrusts a few times and the scene ends. A woman climbs on top of a man as he answers the bedside phone while lying on the bed; after the call, he flips her over and we see his bare buttocks, he thrusts several times, she gasps and the bed creaks loudly as the scene ends. A man and a woman kiss in a car and she sighs; she straddles him in the front seat, they kiss and open her blouse (showing cleavage) and his shirt as they lie down with the man on top, we see his bare back as he begins to thrust and the scene ends. A clothed man and a woman lie in a field with the woman on top of the man as they kiss and apparently have sex with a rocking motion; we see one of her thighs partially bare above a garter belt strap.
► A man and a woman kiss on a staircase at a house party while a man and a woman kiss outside a closet door; another man opens the closet and a woman backs out with her blouse open to expose bare breasts and she and a clothed man from the closet rush off-screen. We see a woman in a mirror from the waist up with her back to the camera as she drops a long nightgown to the floor and we see her bare back, upper buttocks and the side of one breast. A woman wears a long gown and robe in several scenes, exposing cleavage. A woman wears a long slip that bares partial shoulders and cleavage in a couple of scenes. A pregnant woman has a slightly swollen belly and we see her give birth several months later (please see the Violence/Gore category for more details). A woman at a home dinner table unbuttons her blouse twice to expose a little cleavage and a man posing as her husband asks her what she is doing; she replies, "I'm just checking to see if your "sex catch" is engaged."
► A man and a woman kiss for a few seconds on a rooftop at a formal party and at a house party. A man and a woman kiss briefly at a restaurant table. Two women kiss at a house party; we also see them hugging in a pub, and then see them living together as a couple. A man kisses his sister on the cheek.
► A man tells a woman that other men are looking at her jealously in a nightclub; she says that it is because they know she is in love with him. A wife suggests to her husband that he has a mistress, but he denies it. A woman tells a man that men from Casablanca sleep on the roof after having sex with their wives.
- A man follows another man into a phone alcove, savagely grabs his throat, and chokes him to death and the victim's booted feet slide into the hallway as the attacker shoves a biscuit down his throat to make the death appear an accident and a waiter walks back to the alcove and shouts excitedly. A man shoots a woman in the head and she falls backward into a hallway off-screen while a baby in a crib hears the shots, but does not react. A woman places a gun barrel under her chin, and the camera cuts away as we hear a gunshot and the camera takes a long shot of the woman as she slowly slumps dead on the ground (there's no visible blood). A man puts a gun barrel to a sleeping prison guard's throat and wakes him to get the keys to a cell and the guard whimpers and shudders; a soldier pounds on the jailhouse door and when it opens a man shoots and kills the soldier and another across the street, with a little blood and he and a group drive away as another man tosses a grenade that explodes the back of a tank; a man approaches the tank and shoots a dead body with his automatic rifle, then shoots three wounded men in the back of the smoking tank (we see long red wounds bleeding through cuts in uniforms as the gunman shoots all three and they shudder and die).
► A party at night is interrupted by a small firebomb outside that burns a car causing men and women to shout in alarm and a man and a woman upturn a table to grab automatic rifles attached to the underside; soldiers shoot rifles and the couple shoots back, dropping several soldiers without visible blood and the man shoots another man in the head (blood pools out from under the head); the woman shoots a man in the chest with some blood showing. An armed man enters a shop and after several seconds, three gunshots sound (we do not see any victims).
► A night raid near a clinic full of rubble shows mortar fire in the sky as we hear automatic rifle fire and small fires burn on the ground. In a night raid scene, a crowded house party with men and women drinking alcohol (please see the Substance Use category for more details), dancing, shouting, and laughing loudly is interrupted when an air raid siren sounds and lights go off; a plane is shown in flames as it dives toward a house as people run and shout and the plane crashes in a field (we see the demolished plane and smoke rolls off the plane's fuselage).
► A man drives to an air field and stops at an airplane as three jeeps and a limo pull up; the limo's front fender is cut loudly by the whirling airplane propeller and an officer from the limo and the man in the plane stand on the ground and argue loudly and the officer threatens to execute the other man as an accomplice to a spy. A military officer walks several flights down into a dark basement office, where he is met by his boss and an agent; the agent tells the officer that his wife is an agent for the Nazis and the officer becomes angry, denies it, and kicks a chair backwards into a wall; the officer is told that he must execute his wife or be hanged for high treason. A man takes a woman to a pub, breaks the door glass to get in, sits her at a piano, and orders her to play, but she closes the lid; he grabs her throat hard, and makes a fist as if to punch her but stops and she cries. A woman says that she was left by her colleagues to die at the hands of enemies in France, but ran and kept running. We hear that a British pilot died while on the ground in France and should not have left his airplane.
► A man and a woman target practice with a rifle and bottles hanging from a tree; the man breaks three bottles and the woman aims at a tree dressed with a man's clothing and a melon head; she smashes the melon, shoots the chest of the shirt, and shoots the trunk in two, collapsing the tree. A man flies at night and after landing unloads a container of rifles and grenades to arm men.
► An angry male patient sitting in a wheelchair in a military clinic has a reddened face and some scarring; turning his face from a profile to the camera we see a black eye socket and a milky second eye as he says that one of his eyes was shot out and the other's retina is detached and that all he can see is a white blob; he says that his young son screamed when he saw the injuries. A man has one arm missing at the elbow and the stump is covered by smooth skin and no scars; another man pricks the inside of his arm with a long pin to resemble his donating blood. A pregnant woman in a bombed-out clinic gives birth among rubble on a gurney as nurses hold her legs up; the woman gasps, grunts, and sweats (we see her bare knees and lower legs) and someone holds up a red baby that is slightly wet.
► We see a man in a dank jail vomit a substantial amount of yellow and brown material into a wooden tub. We see the lower legs and shoes of a man as he lies in a washroom stall, vomiting and we hear but do not see retching and vomiting. A woman with her back to the camera in a long shot brushes her teeth and spits water that we hear but do not see.
► A scene shows a close-up of high heels walking away from the camera, through a lot of broken glass on a city sidewalk.
- About 16 F-words and its derivatives, 1 scatological term, 11 mild obscenities, name-calling (fool, insane, absurd, stupid, Krauts), exclamations (for goodness sakes), 2 religious profanities (GD), 4 religious exclamations (Oh My God, For Christ's Sake, Everything Is In God's Hands, This Is Really Me As I Am Before God).
- A man in a washroom gives a pilot a bottle of pills for air sickness and the second man takes the bottle and says he will take barbiturates when he returns from an air mission, and a man at a party snorts white powder with a straw. Many men and women hold glasses of champagne and cocktails in a couple of nightclub scenes while tables are seen with champagne bottles and liquor bottles on them, a man sips from a glass of whiskey in a club scene, a man and a woman in a pub sip from glasses of brandy and we see a row of liquor bottles on a short back bar, a man drinks brandy on a rooftop, many men and women at a house party drink from glasses of mixed drinks and whiskey as well as bottles of beer while one man drinks from a whiskey bottle as one man talks very loudly and a woman tells another man that he is too drunk, a man in a jail drinks from a small bottle of alcohol, people at a dinner party hold a bottle of wine and glasses of wine (no one drinks), a man says that he will pick up a case of whiskey at an air field, and a man tells a soldier to get a case of whiskey and keep a bottle for himself (we never see the case or bottles). Many men and women smoke cigarettes in a smoky night club in two scenes, men and women in a pub smoke cigarettes and a man smokes a pipe there and later in a house, a house party shows many men and women smoking cigarettes, a woman smokes a cigarette in a car, a man and a woman share a cigarette in a restaurant and on a rooftop, a man smokes in two offices and we see an ashtray filled with cigarette butts on each desk, a woman's office desk has an ashtray with a smoking cigarette and the smoke wafts to the ceiling, several men including patients with head bandages smoke cigarettes in a smoky dining room in a clinic, and a soldier knocks on a jailhouse door and demands cigarettes.
- WWII in Europe, air raids, blackouts, Nazi occupation, covert agents, military service by Canadians, the British, the French, the Germans, espionage, sacrifice, death, grief, duty, loyalty, relationships, love, family, determination, courage.
- The intelligence community suffered many losses during WWII.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.