Thoroughbreds | 2017 | R | - 1.5.8
After being apart for years, two teenage girls (Olivia Cooke & Anya Taylor-Joy) re-connect in their Connecticut suburb and discover that they can help each other sort out some pressing personal issues. Also with Anton Yelchin, Kaili Vernoff and Paul Sparks. Directed by Cory Finley. [1:32]
- A man on a TV movie tries to kiss a woman and she turns away from him. Two teen girls hug. A young man caresses the curves of a sports car sensually. A teen girl asks another teen girl, "Do you want a hug?" and she says, "No." A teen girl puts her head on another teen girl's lap (she is asleep) and wraps her arm around her (in comfort; it is not sexual).
► A woman is shown lying in a sunbed and we see her upper chest (she is presumably nude). A teen girl wears a towel wrapped around her after bathing and we see her upper chest. A woman in a TV movie wears a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage. A teen girl wears a low-cut dress that reveals cleavage. A teen girl wears a tank top that reveals cleavage. Two teen girls wear short shorts and short dresses that reveal their bare legs to the upper thighs in several scenes. A man is shown alone in bed and we see his upper chest and back.
- A teen girl takes a knife and returns from off-screen covered with blood on her hands, sweater and legs (we understand that someone is dead).
► A young man tackles a teen girl and tries to get her phone from her until another teen girl puts a gun to the back of his head and the first girl hits him over the head with a lamp (the lamp breaks and we see him with a bloody bandage wrapped around his head later). A young man pulls a gun on two teen girls and hands the gun to one of them. A teen girl describes killing a horse with a knife (in graphic detail) after the drugs that she used on the horse to kill it were not effective; she talks about the horse having convulsions during which he broke his other leg and that she broke his spine/neck (we hear a crunch).
► A young man and a teen boy argue at a party and the teen punches the young man in the face (we see his bruised eye in several additional scenes). A teen girl stays under water for too long and begins to twitch and cough until another teen girl pulls her to the surface (she's OK). We see a man with a bandage on his nose and elbow and he yells at his wife when she tries to adjust one of the bandages.
► A teen girl smokes a cigarette in her kitchen and her step-father grabs her arm and takes the cigarette away while verbally threatening her. A teenage girl climbs on a chair and partially unsheathes a long sword hanging above a mantel. A woman is startled when a man covers her eyes from behind. A teen girl holds a kitchen knife in a threatening manner. A teen girl holds a kitchen knife and hides behind a wall as a man and another teen girl argue in another room. A teen girl drinks a glass of orange juice laced with Rohypnol and passes out.
► We understand that a teen girl killed a horse using a knife and we hear that someone has photos of the dead horse (we do not see them). We hear that a man served jail time for statutory rape. Two teen girls and a young man plan to murder a man. A young man says that he has a gun and makes a gun gesture with his hand.
► A man tells a teen girl that she should leave and she and his step-daughter argue with him. A teen girl tells another teen girl, "Do you ever think about killing him?" A teen girl says, "I don't feel anything." A teen girl tells another teen girl, "You hate him. You despise him," referring to the other teen's step-father. A teen girl says that she was diagnosed as having severe depression with schizoid tendencies and a borderline personality disorder. A teen girl tells another teen girl, "You kinda smell." A teen girl talks about videos of a baby being born without a face and a giant zit being popped. A teen girl wishes that her step-father would, "Juice himself to death." A teen girl says to a young man, "You sell drugs to children." A teen girl talks to a young man about his being on the sex offender register. A teen girl tells her step-father to leave her mother. A man tells his teen step-daughter, "Life needs to knock you around a little bit." A teen girl talks about her father's funeral. A teen girl says, "Everyone in this movie is dead now." Two teen girls talk about whether life is worth living without emotions. A teen girl says, "I live a meaningless life." A teen girl opens her mouth and we hear a horse braying. A teen girl talks about a dream where all the people rot and disappear and are replaced by horses. We hear loud gunfire and commotion coming from a TV movie that a teen girl is watching.
► We see a photo of a man next to a lion (presumably after the man killed the animal; no blood is visible). A photo shows a man posing with a long sword.
► A teen girl scrubs a rug to get a blood stain out. Two teen girls practice crying on command. A teen girl eats chips loudly and picks her teeth with her fingers. A teen girl brushes her teeth and spits off-screen (we hear it but do not see anything). A teen girl has a pedicure and we see glove-covered hands scrubbing and massaging her lower legs. A teen girl talks about a woman being old enough that she, "Pees in a bag."
- About 36 F-words and its derivatives, 4 scatological terms, 6 anatomical terms, 1 mild obscenity, name-calling (weird, creepy, princess, off-putting, freak, crazy, dumb, gorilla face, evil children, coward), 1 religious profanity, 4 religious exclamations (e.g. Holy [scatological term deleted], Oh My God, God, Jesus Christ).
- A young man rolls a marijuana cigarette and offers it to a teen girl who declines, a teen girl talks about buying black market drugs, a teen girl throws a vial of Vicodin to a young man with a head injury, a teen girl drinks a glass of orange juice laced with Rohypnol, a teen girl takes a sleep medication, and we understand that a young man sells drugs to young people and he talks about being successful. A teen girl tells another teen girl that they should go steal some of her step-father's wine and we see one of the two drinking from a bottle, and teens drink from beer bottles at a party. A teen girl smokes a cigarette in her kitchen, and a young man smokes outside a restaurant.
- Mental illness, emotional disorders, lack of emotions, depression, empathy, borderline personality disorder, murder, step-parents, death of a parent, cost/benefit analyses, boarding school, plagiarism, euthanasia, black market drugs, dropping out of school, animal cruelty, blackmail.
- Some problems are hard to solve without help.
Be aware that while we do our best to avoid spoilers it is impossible to disguise all details and some may reveal crucial plot elements.
We've gone through several editorial changes since we started covering films in 1992 and older reviews are not as complete & accurate as recent ones; we plan to revisit and correct older reviews as resources and time permits.
Our ratings and reviews are based on the theatrically-released versions of films; on video there are often Unrated, Special, Director's Cut or Extended versions, (usually accurately labelled but sometimes mislabeled) released that contain additional content, which we did not review.
We are a totally independent website with no connections to political, religious or other groups & we neither solicit nor choose advertisers. You can help us keep our independence with a donation.
NO MORE ADS!
Become a member of our premium site for just $2/month & access advance reviews, without any ads, not a single one, ever. And you will be helping support our website & our efforts.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we don't always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.
NO MORE ADS!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
We welcome suggestions & criticisms -- and we will accept compliments too. While we read all emails & try to reply we do not always manage to do so; be assured that we will not share your e-mail address.